Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, November 28, 2018 - 5:00pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Nickolas Wohlman called the meeting to order at 5:19 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chris Thomas, Nickolas Wohlman, Michael Wiafe, Christian Onwuka, Ronnie Cravens, Beck Svensson, Chloe Sabio (late), Sam Emami, Emma Wenger, Connor Curley, Brianna Ruloma, Noah Winne, Sabrina Sessarego, Kyla Blaylock, Mitchell Nishimoto, Max Johnson, George Scott, Vecky Hernandez-Leon, Dustin Adkins, Cassie Weinberg, Cat Kricorian, Luke Fishman, Lane Yazzie.
- Voting Members Absent: Ashley Tejada.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Ryan Du, Christina Brown, Dr. Randy Timm.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Aileen Wei.
- Visitors Present: None.
IV. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of November 28, 2018.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm: None.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Nickolas Wohlman, Executive Vice President:
- Will continue planning Mental Health Week, scheduled for February 2019.
- Spring Retreat will take place on January 26, 2019, on campus.
- Aztecs Achievement Awards will be April 25, 2019.
- Battle of the Bands will take place December 6 at 5-7 pm in Montezuma Hall.
- Chris Thomas, President:
- Congratulations for SDSU on being number five in the nation for sending students to study abroad.
- Informed members about the current campus projects including the Aztec Healing Garden and the ENS 700 Field.
- There are applications available for the Aztec Student Union Board Representative position and the A.S. College of Business Council Representative will open at the end of the week.
- The AS Holiday Party will take place in the Alumni Center on December 5 at 5 pm, after our all-council meeting.
- Discussed the Curriculum Approval Process Committee target of eight-months to approve curriculum.
- Michael Wiafe, Vice President of External Relations:
- Attended California State Student Association (CSSA) at SLO.
- Gave an update on “Keeping Dream Alive”, a conference at Sacramento State University that he and Stephanie Estrada will be attending next week.
- Gave an update on External Relations Board and the district visits to local offices.
- CSSA is starting an analytics team directed at underserved students to discuss what makes a successful student.
- Christian Onwuka, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Aztecs Rock Hunger raised 590,530 pounds of food! Grateful for the partnership and support from everyone. He commended the College of Health and Human Services for raising the most of any college.
- Will work on the Alumni endowment plan.
- Ronnie Cravens, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Gave an update on the University Affairs Board.
- Reminded members to practice self-care.
- Cat Kricorian, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Will continue to create marketing videos for commissions.
- Beck Svensson, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Gave an update on the Information Technology Systems discussion. There will be a student learning forum about the switch from Blackboard.
- Chloe Sabio, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- There will be an information meeting for the Tijuana Homebuild on Friday from 12-1 pm.
- Attended CSSA at SLO. Will help plan for the plenary in January.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- Battle of the Bands will take place December 6 from 5-7 pm in Montezuma Hall.
- Hosted Association of College Unions International (ACUI), a western region conference for Student Unions.
- There will be Spring Mix-It-Up event on February 6 with recruitment opportunities.
- Campus Community Commission:
- There will be a letter-writing event on December 11 from 12-2 pm in Hepner Hall and 4-6 pm on Cuicacalli Walkway.
- The last Good Neighbor Clean-up of the semester will be on Sunday at 10 am. They will meet in the Courtyard.
- Community Service Commission:
- Will create blankets on December 6 to distribute.
- There is a new secretary search.
- Gave an update on the Journey Through Shared Humanity event.
- There will be a Leadership Summit on February 16.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- The ENS 700 Field has been approved.
- Gave an updated list of vegetarian and vegan options on campus.
- Student Diversity Commission:
- The SDCelebration has been postponed to a later date.
- Will try to get more involved.
- Student Support Commission:
- Will look into campus safety concerns about lighting on campus.
- Will host an Ombudsman event.
- Discussed problems with parking.
- Sustainability Commission:
- Lime Bike came to talk about their company.
- There will be a Sustainable Shorts event on Tuesday at 12 pm in Montezuma Hall.
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Large:
- Discussed safety on Bird scooters.
- Marketing and Communications Commission:
- There will be a SWOT Analysis of Marketing and Communications.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Nickolas Wohlman adjourned the meeting at 6:30 PM.
APPROVED BY: Nickolas Wohlman, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary