Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Nickolas Wohlman called the meeting to order at 3:35 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chris Thomas (late), Nickolas Wohlman, Michael Wiafe, Christian Onwuka (late), Ronnie Cravens (late), Beck Svensson, Chloe Sabio (left early), Sam Emami (left early), Emma Wenger, Connor Curley, Brianna Ruloma, Lane Yazzie (left early), Noah Winne, Sabrina Sessarego, Kyla Blaylock, Mitchell Nishimoto (left early), Max Johnson, George Scott, Vecky Hernandez-Leon, Dustin Adkins, Ashley Tejada, Cassie Weinberg.
- Voting Members Absent: Cat Kricorian, Luke Fishman.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Ryan Du, Aileen Wei, Dr. Randy Timm, Christina Brown.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Michael Cline, Mark Zakrzewski, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Lee Abed, Stephanie Estrada, Beverly Nitagu, Senator Ricardo Lara.
IV. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of October 3, 2018.
There was a friendly amendment to add Senator Ricard Lara as a University Reports and Presentations item with a time certain at 4:30 pm. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
- Explained the tailgating process. There is still opportunities to tailgate, but there is a process to register groups of 25 or more. He also encouraged students to review the fancode.
- There will be clinics for the Meningitis B vaccination for Greek Life and students living in the residential halls.
- ARC and Rec. Field Renovation and Expansion Project Update (Time Certain: 3:45 pm)
- George Scott, Recreation and Wellness Commissioner, and Mark Zakrzewski, Director of Recreation, discussed the progress of the expansion plan. There will be focus groups for many of the aspects including sustainability and gender neutral locker rooms.
- Senator Ricardo Lara (Time Certain: 4:30 pm):
- Discussed his role as a senator and emphasized to members of Associated Students the importance of their role on-campus.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Nickolas Wohlman, Executive Vice President:
- Gave an update on the Homecoming events this week.
- The “Spike Balls, Not Drinks” event will take place on Thursday, October 25 on the ENS field from 7-9 pm.
- Chris Thomas, President:
- The Provost Search Committee will solicit student feedback at the next University Council meeting.
- Reminded members of the Spring Registration Timeline.
- The “Big Ideas” campaign will get corporate sponsorship to support their interdisciplinary research.
- Michael Wiafe, Vice President of External Relations:
- External Relations Board will discuss Executive Order 1100.
- Kaila, Cassie, Rose, and Jada will attend CSSA with him.
- Gave an update on the CSU graduation rate and gap of equity among students.
- Monday is the last day for voter registration.
- “Party at the Polls” will take place on November 2
- Christian Onwuka, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- The last day for Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) is Sunday.
- Encouraged members to market the ARH campaign.
- Expressed gratefulness for members’ involvement in ARH.
- Ronnie Cravens, Vice President of University Affairs:
- University Affairs Board (UAB) will meet next Tuesday at 1 pm in the State Suite.
- Discussed library hours.
- Dr. Nora-Shultz, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, and Bey-Ling Sha, Associate Dean of the College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts, will be speaking at next week’s University Council.
- There will be a STEM Career Fair on October 24 from 10 am – 2:30 pm in Montezuma Hall.
- The SDSU Winter session will be nine days starting January 2.
- Cat Kricorian, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Beck Svensson, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Grateful for the ARH leadership team.
- Will attend a meeting on Information Technology tomorrow morning.
- Chloe Sabio, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Grateful to be a part of Associated Students.
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- Homecoming talent show will take place tonight at 7 pm in the Courtyard.
- The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) Yard Show will be on Friday at 6 pm.
- Fun Run 5K will be on Saturday at 8 am.
- Planning events for Spring.
- Campus Community Commission:
- Need volunteers for the Hardy Elementary Carnival on October 26.
- Last week’s Good Neighbor Cleanup was a success.
- Community Service Commission:
- Encouraged members to table for ARH at the Homecoming Football games.
- Will assist other commissions and councils to collaborate.
- Will have pop-up service events.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- The Bouldering Challenge will take place on Saturday at 10 am.
- The “Lights Out, Strike Out” bowling event will take place Thursday at 7 pm.
- Student Diversity Commission:
- Discussed importance of pronouns and issues affecting underrepresented students like understanding environmental racism.
- Student Support Commission:
- Noah will serve on the Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) marketing subcommittee.
- Hunger and Homelessness awareness week will be the 2nd week of November.
- Will collaborate with career services to promote their events.
- Gave an update on the Food Pantry.
- Sustainability Commission:
- Green Love Shiz Swap will take place on October 27 at 1 pm at Kate Sessions Park.
- There will be a Green Lunch Bag Series on “Voting For Sustainability” next Wednesday.
- Will collaborate with ASUB on “Grow with GreenFest” event next Wednesday from 11am-1pm in the Union Courtyard.
- Will create an Associated Students Climate Action Plan.
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Large:
- Marketing and Communications Commission:
- Discussed ARH marketing efforts.
- The co-founder of Shakesmart will come to speak at the upcoming Marcomm meeting next Wednesday.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Nickolas Wohlman adjourned the meeting at 6:43 PM.
APPROVED BY: Nickolas Wohlman, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary