Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, October 3, 2018 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
First-Year Leadership Experience Member Meghan Mahoney called the meeting to order at 4:33 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chris Thomas, Nickolas Wohlman, Michael Wiafe, Christian Onwuka, Ronnie Cravens, Cat Kricorian, Beck Svensson, Chloe Sabio, Emma Wenger, Connor Curley, Brianna Ruloma, Lane Yazzie, Noah Winne, Sabrina Sessarego, Luke Fishman, Kyla Blaylock, Mitchell Nishimoto, Max Johnson, George Scott, Vecky Hernandez-Leon, Dustin Adkins.
- Voting Members Absent: Sam Emami, Ashley Tejada, Cassie Weinberg.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Aileen Wei, Dr. Randy Timm, Christina Brown.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Ryan Du.
- Visitors Present: Anya Shutovska, Steven Plante, Patty Rea, Carlos Careaga, Christopher Lee, Angie Espinoza, Lucas Roth, Aubrey Benito, Maryana Khames, David Gamble, Meghan Mahoney.
IV. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of October 3, 2018.
There was a friendly amendment to add CLC Rep to the A.S. Vacancy Committee as an action item. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
- Anya Shutovska introduced the five students selected for the 2018-2019 A.S. First-Year Leadership Experience.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
- Gave an update on the Assistant Director for Commuter Life and Assistant Director for Student Life positions.
- Emphasized the gender neutral process of selecting Homecoming Royals.
- Jonathan Cole, former A.S. President, will be a panelist at the Aztec past, present, and future event.
- Informed members on the Sero B vaccinations that will be available in Viejas Area on Friday and Monday from 10 am – 4 pm.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
WENGER/BLAYLOCK CARRIED, (19-0-1)
- CLC Rep. to the A.S. Vacancy Committee (Action):
It was moved and seconded to open the floor for CLC Rep. to the A.S. Vacancy Committee nominations.
It was moved and seconded to close the floor for CLC Rep. to the A.S. Vacancy Committee nominations.
It was moved and seconded to select Kyla Blaylock, Vecky Hernandez-Leon, and Maxwell Johson for the CLC Reps. to the A.S. Vacancy Committee.
NISHIMOTO/HERNANDEZ-LEON CARRIED, (16-1-3)
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Nickolas Wohlman, Executive Vice President:
- The Mental Health Week Leadership Meeting will take place on Friday at 10 am in the A.S. Office and Monday, October 8, at 12 pm.
- The Aztec Game Experience is Friday at 9 am in the Fowler Athletic Center.
- Gave an update on Homecoming events.
- Discussed the PreGame Event proposal that will be located in the SDCCU Stadium.
- Chris Thomas, President:
- Reminded members on the Spring Registration Timeline. October is advising month.
- Attended the Hot Chocolate with the President event at her residence and discussed the need for marketing of the Red and Black Shuttle.
- Michael Wiafe, Vice President of External Relations:
- Attended California State Student Association (CSSA) at Chico State with Kaila Cooper and discussed the budget, and University executive compensation.
- Tuesday is National Day for Voter Registration.
- The Graduate Symposium will be on October 17 and 18. The Board of Trustees and University Presidents will be on-campus.
- Excited to take part in the student success analytics certificate program.
- Will attend the Regional Transportation Fair at Cal State, Los Angeles on Friday.
- Christian Onwuka, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Grateful for the Aztecs Rock Hunger Leadership Team.
- Ronnie Cravens, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Met with the College of Sciences to discuss goals.
- Congratulations to Steven Plante, Vice Chair of University Affairs Board!
- The first Academic Affairs Council Meeting will take place on Friday, September 28 at 9 am.
- The Aztec Mentor Program (AMP) Talk will host a networking event on Thursday, October 4 from 5:30-7:30 pm.
- There will be a Graduate School fair October 11 at 10 am in Montezuma Hall.
- There will be a STEM Career Fair on October 24 from 10 am – 2:30 pm in Montezuma Hall.
- The SDSU Winter session will be nine days starting January 2. More information to come.
- Cat Kricorian, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Kick-off event for Aztecs Rock Hunger was a success.
- Met with Steve and Kai to discuss the marketing video for A.S. Boards and Commissions.
- Beck Svensson, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Excited to work with the Aztec Rock Hunger leadership team.
- Met with Enrollment Services and the advising centers.
- Chloe Sabio, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Emphasized importance of collaboration.
- Will work on the “Aztecs Rock Hunger” and “Rock the Vote” campaigns.
- Extended herself as a resource on social justice discussions.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- Grow with GreenFest event will take place on October 24.
- Congratulations to Veronica on her promotion as A.S. Program Coordinator! ASUB will search for an ASUB Assistant Program Coordinator.
- There will be a Food Pantry Training at the ASUB meeting on Monday.
- Campus Community Commission:
- Will support the ARH campaign.
- Excited to collaborate.
- Community Service Commission:
- Encouraged members to table for the ARH campaign.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- Tabled at the Fit Expo in San Diego.
- The “Lights Out, Strike Out” bowling event will take place next Thursday at 7 pm.
- Student Diversity Commission:
- SDC retreat will be on October 7 from 11 am-3 pm in the Center for Intercultural Relations (CIR).
- SDC Celebration will be on November 29 from 5-8 pm to celebrate People of Color and resilience.
- Student Support Commission:
- There is an urgent need for volunteers for the Food Pantry. Sign ups are available on the Food Pantry website.
- In contact with Career Services to discuss possible collaboration.
- Sustainability Commission:
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Large:
- The Library is now open until 1 am. The area under the dome is no longer 24/7.
- Marketing and Communications Commission:
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Nickolas Wohlman adjourned the meeting at 6:43 PM.
APPROVED BY: Nickolas Wohlman, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary