Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Vanessa Girard called the meeting to order at 3:35 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Carmel Alon, Hayden Willis, Chris Thomas, Anya Shutovska, Joshua Miller, Brie Hornig (late), Dustin Adkins, Kyla Blaylock (late), Luke Fishman, Sabrina Laut, Nubia Milpas, Mitchell Nishimoto, George Scott, Nicole Becker (left early/came back), Charlotte Roberts, Beck Svensson, Mary Staka, Chloe Sabio (left early), Noah Winne, Nickolas Wohlman, Hunter Young.
- Voting Members Absent: Vanessa Girard, Sedona Hill.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Dr. Randy Timm, Aileen Wei, Christina Brown.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Sam Emami.
- Visitors Present: Amber Nelson, CJ Wessel, Tori, Christine Molina, Donna Conaty.
IV. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of February 14, 2018.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
- Dr. Lori White will be the keynote speaker at the Leadership Summit this weekend.
- Gallo Winery Presentation (Time Certain: 3:45 pm):
- CJ Wessel and Tori, representatives from Gallo Winery, discussed the positions available in their management development program. The deadline to apply to their internship program is February 21.
- New Registration Timeline (Time Certain 4:30 pm):
- Christine Molina and Donna Conaty from the New Registration Taskforce answered questions and addressed concerns regarding the New Registration Timeline.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President:
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, President:
- Will present at the Leadership Summit with Chris, Kim, and Hayden.
- The five sub-committees created for the Aztec Culture Education Committee will be for videos, speakers, arts and culture, healing garden, and marketing and communication efforts. The funding will be through the Aztec Culture Education budget.
- The Aztec Mascot Taskforce has been assembled. The names of the students serving on the taskforce will not be publicly announced until after the process.
- The Executive officers met with President Adela de la Torre and gave her an overview of A.S. initiatives. They will help with her transition from a UC to CSU system.
- Carmel Alon, Vice President of External Relations:
- Will attend the Cal State Student Association (CSSA) in Maritime this weekend. The Chancellor announced that the decision regarding the tuition hike will be moved to May.
- California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS) received 18 applicants. All applicants will attend CHESS.
- Hayden Willis, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- The Quarter 2 Financial report will be available next week.
- A representative from Career Services will be speaking at the upcoming Financial Affairs Committee.
- Chris Thomas, Vice President of University Affairs:
- In the process of Dean searches.
- Gave an update on the New Registration Timeline and the new furniture at the 24/7 section in the library.
- A.S. elections applications are due on February 15 at 4pm
- Brie Hornig, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Will encourage students to get involved with A.S.
- Josh Miller, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Will work on the ARC Referendum.
- Excited to encourage students in their involvement with A.S.
- Anya Shutovska, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Updated members on the projects she will work on. These include Campus Safety week, “Rock the Vote”, and the ARC Referendum.
- Complicit event was successful!
- Will work on getting student feedback and ideas for the “Your Voice Matters” open forum.
- Excited for Aztec Dance Marathon.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Attended the CSU Basic Needs Conference. Congratulations to Dustin on his presentation on the SDSU efforts with the Food Pantry and Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT).
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- Encouraged members to purchase tickets for the GreenFest concert.
- Volunteers are needed for the GreenFest week events.
- The tentative opening of the Media Studio will be mid April.
- “Yoga and Yummies” will be on Wednesday, February 21 at 5 pm.
- Campus Community Commission:
- Gave an update on the Good Neighbor Beautification project and Residence Hall mixer.
- The Campus Safety Committee had a meeting and discussed topics for Campus Safety week. They reminded members of the administrative citation for the violation of school policies.
- Community Service Commission:
- The Associated Students Boards, Councils, and Commissions (ASBCC) mixer will be on April 1.
- Informed members of the Community Service Fair that will take place on March 13 from 11am-2pm on Centennial walkway.
- Volunteer hours at GreenFest can be submitted for community service hours.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- Will table from 3-6 on Tuesdays in the ARC.
- There will be a mobile demonstration kitchen at the upcoming meeting.
- Student Diversity Commission:
- Student Support Commission:
- Congratulations to Sunny, the new Food Pantry Coordinator!
- Dustin attended the CSU Basic Needs Conference in Sacramento with Christina, and Angelica to discuss food insecurity throughout the CSU.
- Excited to meet the ombudsman at the next meeting.
- Campus Safety week will be from April 2-6.
- Sustainability Commission:
- Complicit event was a success!
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Large:
- Is available to support commissions on projects.
- Met with Vanessa to discuss position and goals.
- Will discuss student concerns at every CLC meeting.
- Marketing and Communications Commission:
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive President Vanessa Girard adjourned the meeting at 5:19 PM.
APPROVED BY: Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary