JANUARY 31, 2018 – COUNCIL CHAMBERS
CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Vanessa Girard called the meeting to order at 3:37 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Girard, Carmel Alon, Hayden Willis, Chris Thomas, Anya Shutovska, Joshua Miller, Kyla Blaylock, Nubia Milpas, Sedona Hill (late), Mitchell Nishimoto, George Scott, Nicole Becker (left early/came back), Luke Fishman, Charlotte Roberts, Nickolas Wohlman, Beck Svensson, Mary Staka, Chloe Sabio, Dustin Adkins.
- Voting Members Absent: Brie Hornig, Noah Winne, Hunter Young, Sabrina Laut.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Sam Emami, Aileen Wei, Christina Brown.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Randy Timm.
- Visitors Present: Amber Nelson, Jermaine Rococorba, Christy Quiogue, Steven Plante, Emma Wenger, Michael Wiafe, Kim Alli, Angelica Espinoza, Erick Ramirez.
IV. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of December 6, 2017.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
Jermaine Rocacorba and Christy Quiogue from Career Services invited members to attend the Diversity Career Forum that will feature SDSU alumni. They will discuss career readiness and community empowerment through building connections. It will be Saturday, February 10 in the Student Union.
Kim Alli, A.S. Chief Justice, reminded members of the following deadlines. Recruitment requirements are due February 9. Amendments to bylaws and resolutions are due March 2. The requirements to attend a cultural event and student organization meeting due March 23.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm: None.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
- Spring Retreat Follow-up: Chimezie and Christina discussed the history of A.S. Student Leadership at SDSU and showed the A.S. Legacy of Leadership video.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President:
- Campus Safety week will be from April 2-6.
- Introduced “Future Forward February,” a series of events hosted by Student Life & Leadership, Career Services, and other partners.
- Encouraged collaboration with other student commissions.
- Discussed the Aztec Game Experience and gave an update on the mobile ticketing. The next men’s basketball game will be Saturday, February 3.
- Greek Week will be from March 4-9 and will be partnering with the Wildlife Conservation Network.
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, President:
- Announced the appointment of the new president, Dr. Adela de la Torre. She will join SDSU in June.
- The Aztec Mascot Taskforce has been assembled. Four students have been appointed to represent the student body. They are scheduled to meet in February.
- Carmel Alon, Vice President of External Relations:
- Represented SDSU at the Cal State Student Association (CSSA) meeting at CSU Dominguez Hills with Chimezie. Discussed a possible tuition hike. There will be a [CSU wide] campaign to advocate for a fully funded CSU.
- The California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS) will be on March 10-12 for students to lobby for higher education in Sacramento. Applications will be available soon.
- Will continue to work on the “Rock the Vote” campaign.
- The Women’s Resource Center will offer the Brave Project, which is a comprehensive, intensive training on sexual violence.
- Hayden Willis, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Completed interviews for positions on the Financial Affairs Committee (FAC).
- Merrill Lynch presented on career prep at FAC. The next professional development opportunity will be on February 19.
- Voiced student concerns with the education process with Anya at an open meeting in the College of Business.
- Will continue to work on the ARC Referendum.
- Chris Thomas, Vice President of University Affairs:
- University Affairs Board will meet on Tuesdays at 10 am in Council Chambers.
- The Undergraduate Research Committee will meet biweekly on Wednesdays from 2-3 pm in the Aztlan.
- Reminded members of the New Registration Timeline and the administrative citation for violation of school policies.
- The Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) will be presenting at the next UC meeting.
- Brie Hornig, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Josh Miller, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Excited to support commissions on their goals and visions for the semester.
- Anya Shutovska, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Updated members on the projects she will work on. These include Campus Safety week, “Rock the Vote”, and the ARC Referendum.
- SDSU President has been announced.
- Reminded members of the New Registration Timeline. Students will register for summer courses in March and Fall courses in April
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Attended the Auxiliary Organizations Association conference with Chimezie. Chimezie had the opportunity to discuss how Associated Students contributed to his success.
- Will attend the Basic Needs Conference with Dustin Adkins and Angie Espinoza. They will present on SDSU efforts for food insecurity as well on shelter and homelessness.
- The Media Studio will be open this semester to all students. It is the only one in the country that is in the student union for student led projects.
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- Will attend the Association for College Union Information (ACUI) in Irvine.
- Sent out an executive survey to gather feedback on professional development as a board.
- The Union Beautification Committee (UBC) will recruit members. They will meet every other Monday from 2-3:30 pm.
- GreenFest Enviro Fashion Show will be from February 25 – March 3. They will look for students to model recycled clothing.
- “Recycle is Really Cool” will be painting and decorating recycling bins.
- Tickets for the GreenFest concert will be on sale Monday at 8 am. Student tickets are $15. Guest tickets are $25.
- Campus Community Commission:
- The Residence hall mixer on February 12 from 1-3 pm has changed its location to the ENS field.
- Good Neighbor Clean Up was successful.
- Campus Safety week will be from April 2-6.
- Campus Safety Committee will meet every other Thursday starting February 8 at 11 am in the Visionary Suite.
- Community Service Commission:
- Noah from Student Support Commission will be preparing a Food Pantry Training at the next meeting.
- Will table from 9:30-11 am in the Student Union next Wednesday.
- Max Johnson has been appointed as the new secretary.
- Chris will present on the ARC Expansion at the next meeting.
- Excited to collaborate with different commissions.
- Will make efforts to collaborate with Aztec Proud and the Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) to fundraise and create a scholarship.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- Discussed their goal to build their commission and education members on the ARC Expansion.
- Will table from 3-6 on Tuesdays in the ARC.
- Student Diversity Commission:
- Gave an update on their goal to increase SDC member involvement in Associated Students.
- Invited Chris to present on the ARC Expansion.
- Will invite other cultural organizations to speak at their meetings.
- The “Thank you for being my teacher” event will take place on February 12.
- SDC retreat will be on February 16 at Scripps Cottage.
- Discussed concerns regarding U.S. Border Patrol attending the Diversity Career Fair.
- Student Support Commission:
- Their first meeting was successful.
- Discussed a stable transition of leadership.
- Gave an update on Campus Safety week, “Meet your Ombudsman”, and “Career Photoshoot”
- Will attend the Food Insecurity meeting next week.
- Will fill the Food Pantry Coordinator position.
- Sustainability Commission:
- GreenFest will discuss other sustainable options for their event.
- The Green Lunch Bag series will be on Wednesday, February 7 from 5-7 pm in Montezuma Hall.
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Large:
- Is available to support commissions on projects.
- Marketing and Communications Commission:
- Reviewed the mission and vision of the committee.
- Will work with the GreenFest street team on marketing strategies.
- Will continue to work on the ARC Referendum with the leadership.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive President Vanessa Girard adjourned the meeting at 5:57 PM.
APPROVED BY: Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary