NOVEMBER 29, 2017 – COUNCIL CHAMBERS
CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Vanessa Girard called the meeting to order at 3:30 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Girard, Carmel Alon, Hayden Willis, Chris Thomas, Anya Shutovska, Joshua Miller, Kyla Blaylock, Sedona Hill (left early), Mitchell Nishimoto (late), George Scott, Nicole Becker, Luke Fishman, Hunter Young, Charlotte Roberts, Nickolas Wohlman, Beck Svensson, Mary Staka (left early), Chloe Sabio, Nubia Milpas, Joey Lucero (late).
- Voting Members Absent: Brie Hornig.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Sabrina Laut, Sam Emami, Aileen Wei, Dr. Randy Timm (left early), Christina Brown.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Amber Nelson, Steven DiPaolo, Mark Zakrzewski, Carlos Careaga, Farris Nabulsi, Tim Ripke, Glen Brandenburg.
IV. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of November 8, 2017.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
- Aztec CORE application period has ended. The leadership retreat will be in January 2018.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President:
- The Campus Safety Committee will meet twice this semester.
- Solidified members of the Awards Committee that is tasked to plan the Aztecs Achievement Awards in April.
- Spring Retreat will be on Saturday, January 20 from 11:30 am – 5:30 pm.
- Gave an update on the direction of Facilities board.
- A.S. Holiday dinner will be Thursday, December 7 from 7-9 pm.
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, President:
- Attended the Center for Intercultural Relations (CIR) event with Chris and Hayden to discuss campus safety.
- The Student Success Fee Level 3 Review has been completed.
- Gave a presentation to Student Diversity Commission on Aztec Culture Education.
- Carmel Alon, Vice President of External Relations:
- “Rock the Vote” is in the process of finalizing their calendar and events. The campaign is an A.S. initiative to encourage SDSU students to be involved and feel empowered to understand the elections, register to vote and then vote!
- Hayden Willis, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- The official plan for the Mission Valley site has been released. He explained the SoccerCity and Friends of SDSU initiatives.
- Chris Thomas, Vice President of University Affairs:
- The “Your Voice Matters” campaign open forum has been rescheduled to December 7 from 3-5 pm in the Theatre.
- Women’s Outreach Association will hold a “Love Your Body” day on December 5 from 3-5:30 in Scripps Cottage.
- The last A.S. CIR Conversation will be on December 6 from 12:30-1:30 pm.
- Campus Life Council will have a special meeting on Wednesday, December 6 at 4:30 pm to take action on whether to recommend that A.S. move forward with the Aztec Recreation Center (ARC) Expansion Student Fee Referendum.
- Brie Hornig, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Josh Miller, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Excited to serve on the campus safety committee.
- Anya Shutovska, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Met with Chief Mays to discuss campus safety. Campus police are looking to increase marketing efforts to inform students of the services provided.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Expressed gratitude for Campus Life Council members.
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- “Hits in the Courtyard” will be tomorrow at 6 pm in the Courtyard.
- “Winter Wonderland” will be next Wednesday, December 6 at 7 pm in the Courtyard.
- “Battle of the Bands” will be on Thursday from 5-7 pm in Montezuma Hall.
- Informed members of the “Mix it Up” event in the spring to recruit members for commissions.
- Campus Community Commission:
- Will hold a residential hall mixer on February 12 by the South Campus Plaza from 1-3 pm.
- Encouraged members to attend the Good Neighbor Clean up at 9 am in the Student Union this Sunday.
- Working on a Clay Park Clean up next semester.
- Will continue campus safety discussions.
- Community Service Commission:
- The Blood Drive was a success. 313 units of blood were donated.
- The service based student organization expo was a big success.
- Excited for collaborations with other commissions in the spring.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- Explained the proposed ARC Expansion Student Fee Referendum for commission members.
- Excited for the campus clean up on Sunday.
- Will plan a distress event with Live Well Aztecs
- Student Diversity Commission:
- Student Diversity Celebration will take place on December 1 at 4-7 pm in the Courtyard to recognize different communities.
- Student Support Commission:
- The last Food Pantry training will be on December 3.
- Welcomed Dustin Adkins as the new Student Support Commissioner.
- Gave an update on the name change on January 18 to the Student Ability Success Center.
- Met with the Chief of Police on November 7 to address campus safety concerns.
- Joey expressed gratitude for the role of A.S. and its leaders in his life.
- Sustainability Commission:
- Visited the Imperial Valley campus to support Sustainability
- The Greek’s Gone Green Commission will start.
- Next meeting will be in the Community Garden.
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Large:
- Is available to support commissions on projects.
- Marketing and Communications Commission:
- Encouraged members to table for the “Your Voice Matters” campaign.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive President Vanessa Girard adjourned the meeting at 6:17 PM.
APPROVED BY: Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary