NOVEMBER 8, 2017 – COUNCIL CHAMBERS
CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Vanessa Girard called the meeting to order at 3:30 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Girard, Carmel Alon, Hayden Willis, Brie Hornig, Anya Shutovska, Joshua Miller, Kyla Blaylock, Sedona Hill, Mitchell Nishimoto (late), George Scott, Nicole Becker, Luke Fishman, Hunter Young, Charlotte Roberts, Nickolas Wohlman, Beck Svensson, Mary Staka, Chloe Sabio, Nubia Milpas, Joey Lucero (late).
- Voting Members Absent: Chris Thomas.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Sabrina Laut, Sam Emami, Aileen Wei, Dr. Randy Timm. Christina Brown.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Daraja Carroll, Armando Sepulveda, Angelica Espinoza, Amber Nelson, Camille Dejoras.
IV. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of October 25, 2017.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
- Coffee with the Chief will take place on November 17.
- There will be a series of focus groups next week who will be asked to give feedback on Aztec Nights.
- Student Life and Leadership is currently in the process of reviewing the event approval process.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
IX: REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President:
- Discussed concerns regarding the new Men’s Basketball ticket policy. The language of the policy has been revised.
- Working with the executive team on developing a cohesive discussion on campus safety.
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, President:
- The Level 3 review of the Student Success Fee will occur on Monday, November 13.
- Carmel Alon, Vice President of External Relations:
- Will attend the College Area Community Council (CACC) meeting tonight, November 8.
- The committees for the “Rock the Vote” campaign has been created.
- External Relations Board committee will give a presentation on elections at their upcoming meeting on Monday, November 13 at 10 am in Council Chambers.
- D. Hayden Willis, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Grateful for the support on exceeding the goal for the Aztecs Rock Hunger campaign.
- Chris Thomas, Vice President of University Affairs:
- The “Your Voice Matters” campaign will host an open forum on November 29 from 5-7 pm in the Theatre.
- Brie Hornig, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Josh Miller, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Anya Shutovska, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Met with Chief Mays to discuss campus safety. The next Coffee with the Chief will be on November 17 from 10-11am.
- Met with Sustainability and Community Service Commission to discuss their goals.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- The Gallery Night and Chalk Walk will be tomorrow, November 9.
- Campus Community Commission:
- Community Service Commission:
- Collaborated with College of PSFA on the “Lend a Hand” campaign that will happen from November 8 to November 18. Challenged members to donated clothes and help support the Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT).
- The Blood Drive leadership team will meet on Friday at 2 pm. The Blood Drive will be Tuesday, November 28 from 8 am – 6 pm at Viejas Arena.
- Gave an update on the Service Based Organization Expo next Wednesday from 11 am – 2 pm on Centennial Walkway.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- Discussed the difference between empathy and sympathy.
- Reviewed the Aztec Recreation Center (ARC) dress code and budget.
- Student Diversity Commission:
- Student Diversity Celebration will take place on December 1 at 4-7 pm in the Courtyard to recognize different communities.
- Student Support Commission:
- The Student Support Representative will be released at the end of the week.
- The Student Support Commissioner application is available.
- Sustainability Commission:
- Greek’s Gone Green committee is looking for representatives from each Greek house.
- Informed members of the Green Lunch Bag Series next week on “Zero Waste.”
- In the process of searching for a keynote speaker for Greenfest.
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Large:
- Will continue to work on the inclusive leadership survey.
- Marketing and Communications Commission:
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive President Vanessa Girard adjourned the meeting at 5:03 PM.
APPROVED BY: Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary