OCTOBER 11, 2017 – COUNCIL CHAMBERS
COUNCIL CHAMBERS – 3:30 PM
I. CALL TO ORDER:
Executive Vice President Vanessa Girard called the meeting to order at 3:32 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL:
- Voting Members Present: Vanessa Girard, Carmel Alon, Hayden Willis, Chris Thomas, Brie Hornig, Anya Shutovska, Joshua Miller, Mitchell Nishimoto, George Scott, Nicole Becker, Luke Fishman, Hunter Young, Nickolas Wohlman, Beck Svensson, Mary Staka (left early), Chloe Sabio, Joey Lucero (late), Charlotte Roberts.
- Voting Members Absent: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Kyla Blaylock, Nubia Milpas, Sedona Hill.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Sam Emami, Sabrina Laut (left early), Aileen Wei, Dr. Randy Timm.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Christina Brown.
- Visitors Present: Emely Navarro, Luis Rodriguez for Joey Lucero, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker for Christina Brown, Radmila Prislin, Donna Conaty, T’Ante Sims, Rose Pasenelli, Stephanie Anderson, Christine.
IV. APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of October 11, 2017.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
- Prepared for Homecoming week!
- Reviewed policies for the Homecoming event timeline.
- There are currently 275 Recognized Student Organizations (RSO). The approval process is separated into different seasons.
- New Registration Timeline Presentation – New Registration Taskforce (time Certain 3:45 pm)
- Radmila Prislin, Donna Conaty, T’Ante Sims, Rose Pasenelli, and Stephanie Anderson presented the change in the registration timeline. Registration for the Fall semester will begin in April and registration for the Spring semester will be available in November. It will be launched April 2018 for the upcoming Fall 2018 semester. This new change is to ensure student success.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:
General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President:
- Escort services and campus safety resources are available.
- Discussed the location of the last Campus Life Council Meeting on November 29 to happen at The Mezzanine Suite in Viejas Arena.
- Gave an update on the football game on Saturday, October 14. Marshall Faulk, former SDSU Running back and NFL Hall of Famer, will be at Aztec Village from 5:30-6:30 pm.
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, President: None.
- Carmel Alon, Vice President of External Relations:
- The mandatory sexual assault training will be on October 25 for Campus Life Council and November 1 for University Council.
- College Area Community Council (CACC) will meet tonight to discuss the SoccerCity and Public Land Public Vote.
- The Cal State Student Association (CSSA) in Sonoma was cancelled due to the fires. The next meeting will take place in California State Polytechnic University, Pomona to discuss support for the Dream Act bill.
- Gave an update on the External Relations Board and their focus on educating the campus on Associated Students.
- Hayden Willis, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) has reached 300,000 lbs. for the campaign!
- ARH will be collecting at the football game on Saturday from 5:00-7:30 pm.
- Chris Thomas, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Met with Dr. Lisa Kath to discuss the undergraduate research committee.
- The Library 24/7 area will be expanded to two floors to accommodate student needs. There will be outdoor seating outside the library.
- Reminded members of the enforcement of the administrative citation of $75 for biking, skateboarding, and smoking policies.
- San Diego State University Police Department has hired a new captain.
- The logo for the “Your Voice Matters” campaign has been finalized.
- Charter revisions should be submitted to Judicial Affairs Council (JAC) by October 20.
- All requirements are due to JAC by November 17.
- Study Abroad Scholarship applications should be reviewed and turned in to the front desk by 4:30 pm on November 1.
- Brie Hornig, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Discussed cultural inclusion options for the student success fee.
- Encouraged members to attend an event on November 18 in the Lipinsky Center for Careers in Student Affairs.
- October 16 is Indigenous People Day!
- Josh Miller, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Excited to continue working on the Aztecs Rock Hunger campaign!
- Met with Hunter, Mitch, and Luke to discuss their goals.
- Addressed concerns regarding campus safety and discussed transportation services on campus.
- Anya Shutovska, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Congratulations to members for their work for Associated Students during midterms.
- Expressed gratitude for Aztecs Rock Hunger volunteers.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker reported on the following:
- Chimezie and Christina are attending the 2025 Graduate Initiative Symposium in Long Beach.
- Gerardo Cabral accepted a position at California State University, Sacramento. Brandi Tonne and Jennifer Esquivel-Parker will now serve as advisors for Campus Community Commission and Student Support Commission.
- Invited Campus Life Council to attend the “Women in Leadership” event at 5 pm in the Theatre next Wednesday.
- Encouraged members to participate in the ARH campaign.
- Aztec Student Union Board: None.
- Campus Community Commission:
- The Good Neighbor Cleanup last Sunday was a success.
- Will attend the CACC meeting tonight.
- Community Service Commission:
- Expressed a need for lead volunteers for the ARH campaign. Volunteers are needed for the football game on Saturday, October 14 from 5:00-7:30 pm.
- Will work with Chris and the Red Cross for the Blood Drive in November. Plans to form a leadership team for the SDSU Blood Drive.
- Looking into working with Aztec Proud and Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) on an event in the spring to raise funds for need-based scholarships.
- Will collaborate with A.S. Boards and Commissions to plan the Community Service fair.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- Next week is Love Your Body week!
- Student Diversity Commission:
- Requested to discuss the concerns the Student Diversity Commission (SDC) members brought up at the previous SDC meetings regarding diversity and inclusion.
- Mini social retreat was successful.
- Encouraged members to reinforce gender inclusive language at meetings.
- Student Support Commission:
- October is Disability Awareness month.
- Gave an update on the Student Ability Success Center name change beginning January 2018.
- Next SSC meeting will be at Aztec Lanes.
- Graduate School Fair will be tomorrow, October 12, from 10:00-12:30 pm in Montezuma Hall.
- Sustainability Commission:
- Will visit the Imperial Valley campus on November 13.
- Met with Nick Marquez, Beck, and College of Sciences to discuss undergraduate research.
- Enviro-Business Society (E3) will be planning a “Friendsgiving” potluck in November.
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Large:
- The Homecoming Street Team will be finalizing volunteer opportunities.
- Marketing and Communications Commission: None
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive President Vanessa Girard adjourned the meeting at 6:33 PM.
APPROVED BY: Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary