SEPTEMBER 29, 2017 – COUNCIL CHAMBERS
CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Vanessa Girard called the meeting to order at 3:31 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Girard, Carmel Alon, Hayden Willis, Chris Thomas, Brie Hornig, Anya Shutovska, Kyla Blaylock, Mitchell Nishimoto (late), George Scott (left early), Nubia Milpas, Nicole Becker, Luke Fishman (left early), Sedona Hill, Hunter Young, Nickolas Wohlman, Mary Staka (left early), Chloe Sabio, Joey Lucero (late), Charlotte Roberts.
- Voting Members Absent: Joshua Miller, Beck Svensson.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Sabrina Laut (left early), Aileen Wei, Dr. Randy Timm, Christina Brown.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Michael Wiafe Brian Hoffman, Devon Pierre for Joey Lucero, Mark Zakrzewski, Amber Nelson, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
IV. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of September 27, 2017. YOUNG/SCOTT CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes. BLAYLOCK/SHUTOVSKA CARRIED
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
- Michael Wiafe, A.S. Justice, reminded members of the deadline on November 17 to attend a cultural event. Applications for the Elections Coordinator, Student Support Representative, and Justice positions are open from through October 2. The roles of each Justice has been assigned; contact the appropriate Justice regarding concerns
- Brian Hoffman, representative from Zeta Beta Tau Headquarters for Recruitment, introduced recruitment opportunities and upcoming events that are coming to campus.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
- Congratulations to the Homecoming Court!
- Introduced Aztec CORE, a retreat that provides an opportunity to enhance leadership and collaboration skills while incorporating inclusive diversity. It takes place November and January.
- Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) Presentation – Anya Shutovska and Nick Wohlman, ARH Leadership Team (Time Certain 3:45 PM)
- Aztecs Rock Hunger will begin September 30 until October 22. This year’s goal is to raise 500,000 lbs of food for the Jacobs and Cushman San Diego Food Bank.
- Encouraged student involvement on campus.
- Donations can be made online at sdsu.edu/aztecsrockhunger. Contact Aztecs Rock Hunger at email@example.com for further questions.
- Aztec Recreation Presentation – Mark Zakrzewski, Aztec Recreation Director (Time Certain 4:00 PM)
- Mark presented the accomplishments and programs provided by Aztec Recreation.
- Informed members on 2017-2018 Aztec Recreation goals to increase student engagement, innovation, and collaboration.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda: (Action)
- It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached. LUCERO/YOUNG CARRIED
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President:
- The Homecoming “Street Team” committee is ready to promote Homecoming events.
- Refer to attached handout for important upcoming dates.
- Presented the crime statistics of 2014-2016 and highlighted crime prevention programs offered to students, faculty and staff.
- The Active Shooter Response Training (A.L.I.C.E) will be available for free on Friday from 10:00-11:30 am at the Theatre.
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, President:
- A.S. is supporting SDSU students with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status with application fees to renew their DACA status by the October 5 deadline.
- A leadership survey will be created for the appointed and elected A.S. positions.
- Gave an update on the Presidential Search Open Forum that occurred on Monday, September 25.
- Encouraged members to volunteer at the Food Pantry.
- SDSU Police Chief Josh Mays will be reaching out to student organizations.
- Aztec Shops will accommodate swipes at the Garden and University Towers Kitchen for students with the Meals Plus Plan.
- The Bookstore Advisory Committee has an open seat.
- Carmel Alon, Vice President of External Relations:
- San Diego City Council passed a resolution on September 19 opposing President Trump’s plan to build a border wall.
- At the last meeting, they spoke about Public Land, Public Vote and SoccerCity on the Mission Valley site. The next College Area Community Council (CACC) meeting will be on October 11.
- Gave an update on Chancellor White’s response to the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights’ decision to reconsider aspects of Title IX.
- Hayden Willis, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Reviewed the memorandum passed in Financial Affairs Committee (FAC) regarding funding for SDSU students who are DACA-status to file their renewal application by October 5.
- Excited for the Aztecs Rock Hunger Campaign from September 30 to October 22!
- Chris Thomas, Vice President of University Affairs:
- The DACA-status renewal application must be received by October 5 to the U.S. government.
- The SDSU Library will be having a grand opening ceremony for the Marsh Room of Science Fiction Thursday, September 28 at 2 pm.
- Campus Safety will be hiring a new Captain for the San Diego State University Police Department.
- Encourage A.S. leaders to promote the new Campus Safety program regarding the $75 administrative citation fee for violating the on-campus biking, skateboarding, and smoking policies.
- The New Registration Timeline will be presented at the next Campus Life Council meeting on October 11.
- Informed members of the Undergraduate Research Ad-hoc committee beginning.
- Brie Hornig, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Board of Directors Students-at-large are available throughout the semester to answer any questions.
- The DACA application deadline is October 5.
- Discussed student success fees awards and how she hopes diversity can be considered in future awards.
- Josh Miller, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Ready for Aztecs Rock Hunger!
- Please send Josh your goals and initiative for the year.
- Anya Shutovska, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Expressed her appreciation for CLC members and their determination.
- Extended an invitation for CLC members to attend Board of Directors meetings.
- Encouraged members to volunteer to table for Aztecs Rock Hunger
- Congratulations to Sustainability on their partnership with Aztec Proud.
- Challenged commissions to collaborate with other commissions.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker reported on the following:
- Christina will attend the Auxiliary Organizations Association (AOA) A.S. committee meeting the next two days.
- Congratulations to Kim Alli, Victor Uwakwe, and Abel Mercardo who were selected for Homecoming Court!
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- There will be a book sharing “little liberty” in the Student Lounge.
- Made changes to their charter to delegate the finance position to their current commissioner’s duties. They will add an eighth ad-hoc committee for student competitions.
- Open Mic Night will be from 5-7 pm today.
- All proposals for the Aztec Student Union Board should be submitted at 6 pm.
- Campus Community Commission:
- The Good Neighbor Cleanup will take place on October 8 and November 3.
- Aztecs Rock Hunger will work with the leadership team and increase involvement at the residential halls.
- Community Service Commission:
- Elected a secretary.
- Gave an update on their preliminary planning for the community service fair.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- Focused on their eight dimensions of wellness.
- The “Lights Out, Strike Out” will be Friday, September 29.
- Student Diversity Commission:
- Will host a social retreat to make goals for cultural organizations on Friday at Scripps Cottage from 2-6 pm.
- Student Support Commission:
- Will present A.S. Legacy videos at the upcoming Student Support meeting to show vision and goals.
- In the process to elect a volunteer coordinator, Secretary, and Food Pantry Coordinator.
- Encouraged members to volunteer for the Food Pantry.
- Plans to appoint a new Student Support Commissioner for Spring 2018.
- Congratulations to Joey on his acceptance into the Disney College Program!
- Sustainability Commission:
- Participated in a solar experience to test drive electric vehicles
- Presented the first Green Lunch Bag event.
- Volunteered at the “Taste of the Port” this past weekend.
- Met with Ericka Johnson, former Sustainability commissioner and was informed on the history of sustainability efforts at San Diego State University.
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Large:
- Will work with A.S. Boards and Councils to promote Aztecs Rock Hunger and Homecoming.
- Will meet with Carmel to develop an inclusive leadership program.
- Marketing and Communications Commission:
- Set expectations to support Aztecs Rock Hunger
- Discussed Aztecs Rock Hunger promotion ideas.
- The “Spirit Cart” will be at the Aztec Student Union from 9:30-12:30 am.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. EMAMI/LAUT CARRIED
Executive President Vanessa Girard adjourned the meeting at 6:29 PM.
APPROVED BY: Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary