SEPTEMBER 13, 2017 – COUNCIL CHAMBERS
CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Vanessa Girard called the meeting to order at 3:37 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Giard, Carmel Alon, Hayden Willis, Chris Thomas, Brie Hornig, Joshua Miller, Anya Shutovska, Kyla Blaylock, Mitchell Nishimoto (late), Beck Svensson, George Scott, Nubia Milpas, Sabrina Laut (left early), Nicole Becker, Luke Fishman, Sedona Hill, Hunter Young, Nickolas Wohlman, Mary Staka, Chloe Sabio, Joey Lucero, Charlotte Roberts.
- Voting Members Absent: None.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Aileen Wei, Dr. Randy Timm, Christina Brown.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Kim Alli, Donald Guy, Michael Wiafe, Janice Dils, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Edwin Darrell, Jared S. Bass.
IV. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of September 13, 2017.
Chris Thomas made a friendly amendment to add a time certain of 3:45 pm to the Presentation on SDSU Blood Drive. There were no objections.
Vanessa Girard made a friendly amendment to add Item Announcements to the agenda. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
- Donald Guy discussed the definition of social distancing and seeks to bring awareness of the term to college campuses.
- Justices Michael Wiafe and Kim Alli reminded Campus Life Council members that recruitment requirements are due this Friday, September 15 at 4:30 pm.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
- He works with students in finding resources for crisis and support.
- There are currently 125 Recognized Student Organizations. 133 student organizations are in the process of being approved.
- The Presence process of utilizing student ID to swipe students into events provides security and allows for detailed information on attendance at events.
- Presentation on SDSU Blood Drive:
- Jared S. Bass informed Campus Life Council members of the blood drive that will take place on Tuesday, November 28 from 8 am – 6 pm at Viejas Arena.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda: (Action) - It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached. LUCERO/SCOTT CARRIED
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President:
- An A.S. event with university leaders will occur October 4 at 5-6:30 pm. Please RSVP by Wednesday, September 20.
- Congratulations to our A.S. Homecoming candidates Karthik Gangadharan and Kim Alli!
- A.S. leaders will be meeting and speaking with students in the Center for Intercultural Relations (CIR) on October 11, November 15, and December 6 at 12:30-1:30 pm for all A.S. leaders.
- “The Show,” the student section at San Diego State University will be tabling at the Farmer’s Market from 12-1 pm.
- The SDSU football game against Stanford University, themed “Blackout,” will be on Saturday, September 16 at 8 pm.
- The A.S. barbeque to promote relationship building and collaboration between all members of A.S. boards and committees is on October 26 from 6-9 pm.
- Introduced the Homecoming website featuring Homecoming events.
- The Homecoming 5K Fun Run takes place on October 21. Donations can be made to Aztecs Rock Hunger at the event.
- San Diego State University will launch Homecoming promotional items on September 25.
- The “What Matters to State” campaign that will take place from January 29 to February 28 will highlight students and student organizations. It will give students an opportunity to express their story during their time at SDSU.
- Please submit meeting minutes by Mondays at 10 am.
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, President:
- Attended the training for the Aztec Recreation staff.
- Gave an update on the amendment made by the Campus Fee Advisory Committee (CFAC) on food and lodging.
- Informed members of the administrative citation of $75 for violating SDSU policy on smoking, biking, and skateboarding.
- The Career Fair will take place September 14 from 10 am – 2:30 pm at Montezuma Hall.
- An open forum will take place on September 25 regarding the Presidential search.
- A survey will be created for reflection on the appointed and elected A.S. positions.
- Carmel Alon, Vice President of External Relations:
- Will attend the California State Student Association (CSSA) this upcoming weekend. Updates and discussion pertaining to the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) to come.
- ERB will have their first meeting Monday, September 18. Their meetings are Mondays from 10-11 am in Council Chambers.
- Encouraged Campus Life Council (CLC) members to sign up for “The Skimm,” an online source which provides an overview of current news updates.
- Reminded CLC members to use inclusive language.
- Hayden Willis, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Gave an update on the $800 funding approval for “Out for Business.”
- Financial Affairs will be electing a Vice Chair position.
- Discussed the vision and position for each member participating in Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH).
- The ARH video will be completed for their campaign! Donations to ARH are accepted through Venmo.
- Informed CLC members of a pilot program being used that involves A.S. banking.
- Chris Thomas, Vice President of University Affairs:
- The New Registration timeline will be effective Fall 2018. Students will register for their Fall semester in April and their Spring semester in November.
- The Women’s Resource Center is offering the BRAVE project, a four session curriculum for sexual violence awareness.
- Gave an update on the University Senate.
- Brie Hornig, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Plans to attend Aztec Shops Board of Directors meetings during the semester.
- The Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) meets once a month on Fridays at 2-3 pm to address food insecurity issues.
- Josh Miller, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Will work with Recreation and Wellness Commission and Campus Community Commission.
- Gave an update on the partnership between Aztecs Rock Hunger and Aztec Proud for the upcoming year.
- Anya Shutovska, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Will work with Community Service Commission and Sustainability Commission.
- Excited to collaborate with Aztecs Rock Hunger!
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Encouraged CLC members to utilize the Government Affairs suite.
- Excited for Campus Life Council meetings!
- Christina reminded council members to relay information to individual committee meetings.
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- Meetings take place on Mondays at 12-1:30 pm in Council Chambers.
- Gave an update on upcoming community events. Ilyasah Shabazz will speak in the Theatre on September 14 at 6 pm.
- “Barnyard Bash” will be in the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Courtyard on Saturday, September 16 at 9 pm.
- The Aztec Student Union Board (ASUB) is processing spring events.
- The ASUB retreat last weekend was a success.
- Campus Community Commission:
- Meetings occur Tuesdays at 2 pm in Council Chambers.
- Made plans to table in the Aztec Student Union from 9-11 am once to twice a month.
- Neighborhood clean-ups will take place September 24, October 8, November 5, and December 3. The time is to be determined.
- Community Service Commission:
- Meetings take place Tuesdays at 11 am in Council Chambers.
- A volunteer training session will take place on September 26 during the Community Service Commission meeting.
- Aztecs Rock Hunger are working towards a goal of $500,000 from September 30 to October 22.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- Recreation and Wellness Commission meetings are Tuesdays at 12:30-1:30 pm in Council Chambers.
- Had their first information session last week.
- Their first meeting will take place September 19.
- The “Lights Out. Strike Out” event is on September 29 from 7-11 pm at Aztecs Lanes.
- Student Diversity Commission:
- Student Diversity Commission (SDC) meetings are Tuesdays at 3:30-5 pm in Council Chambers.
- Informed CLC members of their five pillars of interconnectedness, intersectionality, sustainability, wellness, and enjoyment.
- Cynthia Torres, Associate Director of the Educational Opportunity Program, will provide resources and information about DACA at the SDC meeting on September 26.
- Student Support Commission:
- Meetings are Tuesdays at 11 am in the Visionary Suite.
- The Food Pantry is a success. Volunteer Training is on October 6 at 12:30 in the Legacy Suite.
- Is looking for a Student Support Representative.
- Sustainability Commission:
- Their information sessions were a success.
- Will collaborate with Aztec Proud on their “Easy Being Green” event happening September 26.
- Partnered with the Enviro-Business Society (e3) on a park beautification project in Lemon Grove on Saturday, September 16.
- There will be guest speakers next Wednesday, September 20 to present San Diego and San Diego State University’s action plan.
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Large:
- Met with Vanessa and Carmel to discuss ideas to implement inclusive leadership.
- Marketing and Communications Commission:
- Meetings take place on Wednesdays at 12 pm.
- Discussed different marketing methods.
- Informed CLC members on Spirit Cart event for Aztecs Rock Hunger and Aztecs Proud.
- The Basecamp Program is available for commissions to market events.
- There will be a career fair Thursday, September 14.
- The deadline for the Aztec Mentor Program is Monday, September 18.
- Charlotte and Glen Brandenburg are visiting the Imperial Valley campus.
- MedLife will be volunteering in Mexico Sunday, September 17. There are 15 open spots.
- Aztec Dance Marathon will be hosting a fundraiser at Woodstock’s next Tuesday, September 19 from 5–8 pm. Their meeting will take place at Woodstock’s from 5-7 pm.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. HILL/YOUNG CARRIED
Executive President Vanessa Girard adjourned the meeting at 6:15 PM.
APPROVED BY: Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary