Wednesday, March 15, 2017 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Patty Masengale called the meeting to order at 3:33 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Dylan Colliflower, Natalie Martinez (left early), McKinley Kane, Rachel Muntz (left early), Joey Lucero, Daniel Matlock, Marisa Cubing, Eran Bechor, Josh Miller, Alessandra Casey (left early), Alexis Alexander-Hood, Mustafa Alemi, Anya Shutovska, Carlo Lacson, Meghan Andrade, Tagg Hurtubise (late).
- Voting Members Absent: Alex Shapiro, Arnelle Sambile, Chris Thomas, Shelah Ott, Curtis Copin, Ellen Rydell.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown, Dr. Randy Timm, Jennifer-Esquivel-Parker, Hunter Young for Curtis Copin.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Jasmine Bermudez, Paul Melchior, Ed Glebus, Robert Isner, Abel Mercado, Crystal Sudano.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of March 15, 2017
There was a motion to remove Item VII. C. SDSU Police Chief Josh Mays and add a time certain at 4pm for Action Item B. Selection of Campus Life Council Reps. for Appointments and Review Committee. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous Campus Life Council minutes, dated 03/01/17, as attached.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
- Crystal Sudano introduced herself and her involvements on campus. She offered to give an unbiased opinion regarding the mascot resolution if anyone would like her help.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
- He attended the NASPA Conference for student affairs professionals.
- The Student Life and Leadership office is working on a series of proposal regarding aspects that affect the Recognized Student Organizations.
- Aztec Shops Dining Presentation-Paul Melchior, Ed Glebus, Robert Isner (Time Certain 3:45pm):
- Introduced themselves and encouraged students to visit their office, Education 112, if anyone has any concerns or feedback for Dining Services.
- Answered questions from Campus Life Council.
- Judicial Affairs Council Update-Abel Mercado, Justice (Time Certain immediately following VII.C):
- Abel reminded everyone that their duties are due April 4, including study abroad scholarship, at 4:30pm.
- Please make sure you fill out the google after attending a cultural event. He clarified that cultural event cannot be an A.S. sponsored event.
- Elections voting ends tomorrow at 7pm!
- Review of Commissioner Appointment Process-Jennifer Esquivel-Parker:
- Reviewed the timeline for the Commissioner Appointment Process. Commissioners and reps. are responsible for items in red.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
- Selection of Campus Life Council Reps. for Appointments and Review Committee (Action) (Time Certain 4pm): It was moved and seconded to appoint Alessandra Casey, Joey Lucero, and Eran Bechor as Campus Life Council reps to serve on the Appointments and Review Committee.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President:
- Explore SDSU this Saturday. A.S. is tabling from 8-2pm.
- Aztec Achievement Awards is on April 20 at 4:30pm. Program is from 5-7pm.
- Take Back the Week is April 10-14.
- Jamie Miller, President:
- Please don’t forget to fulfill your requirements!
- Will be meeting with the Chancellor to discuss University President transition since President Hirshman is leaving.
- Addressed the GreenFest rumour. YG did get paid. Jamie is working with students who are upset regarding what he said at the event.
- GreenLove and Jamie are working with Campanile Foundation CFO regarding sustainable and socially responsible investments.
- Dylan Colliflower, Vice President of External Relations:
- Attended the California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS) this weekend. He had 10 students from diverse backgrounds attending with him. The trip was very successful!
- Is working on a video explaining what the tuition increase entails. It is scheduled to be released next Monday. For more information on the tuition increase, you can visit the website tuition.calstatestudent.org.
- Alex Shapiro, Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs: None.
- Mustafa Alemi, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Daniel Matlock, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Encouraged everyone to vote in the A.S. elections!
- Make sure you do fun things with your boards and commissions.
- Arnelle Sambile, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Media Studio construction will start by the end of May, and will open during fall semester. ASUB will work with the Union staff over the summer on operation details.
- Mission Bay Aquatic Center is hiring summer counselors. Please spread the word!
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- Is working on getting students more involved by taking up a position in ASUB.
- Campus Community Commission:
- Residence Hall Mixer is on April 6 from 11-1pm in the Goldberg Courtyard.
- Next week, the commission will vote on the Resolution Condemning Anti-Semitism.
- Community Service Commission:
- Will work with Patty about the Little Library project. They are looking into buying one.
- Will be working on It’s On Us campaign with Patty.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- March 23, Live Well Aztecs is hosting an event called Safe Spring break from 11-2pm.
- Put Your Best Ford Forward initiative is still going on!
- At their next meeting, they will have an architect come to discuss the Aztec Recreation Center expansion.
- Student Diversity Commission: None.
- Student Support Commission:
- Is focusing on the Resolution in support of a Permanent, On-campus Food Pantry.
- A for Art will be on April 22.
- Sustainability Commission:
- Is working on an Earth Day event.
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Larges:
- Will pick up on their plans after spring break.
- Marketing and Communications Commission:
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive President Patty Masengale adjourned the meeting at 5:01 PM.
APPROVED BY: Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary