Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, March 1, 2017 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Patty Masengale called the meeting to order at 3:32 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Dylan Colliflower, Alex Shapiro (late), Natalie Martinez, McKinley Kane, Chris Thomas, Rachel Muntz, Joey Lucero, Daniel Matlock, Marisa Cubing, Eran Bechor, Josh Miller, Alessandra Casey, Shelah Ott, Alexis Alexander-Hood (late), Mustafa Alemi, Anya Shutovska, Carlo Lacson, Meghan Andrade, Curtis Copin, Ellen Rydell.
- Voting Members Absent: Arnelle Sambile, Tagg Hurtubise,
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown, Dr. Randy Timm, Jennifer-Esquivel-Parker.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Jasmine Bermudez, Julia Moluf, Ally Abonador, Kyla Blaylock, Dr. Andrea Dooley, Tyler Rolling.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of March 1, 2017
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous Campus Life Council minutes, dated 02/15/17, as attached.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
- Julia Moluf introduced the Best Buddies organization. It helps create opportunities for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. She encouraged everyone to take the pledge to end the R-word at www.rword.org.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
- 1. “Check I’m Here” is now called “Presence”. Training is scheduled to be on March 15.
- Student Health Services-Dr. Andrea Dooley, Assistant Vice President (Time Certain 3:45pm):
- Calpulli has 4 different units: Student Health Services, Health Promotion, Counseling and Psychological Services, and Student Disability Services. Dr. Dooley gave a brief introduction on each of the units.
- Tyler Rolling introduced the Put Your Best Fork Forward initiative to celebrate National Nutrition Month.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
- #UCB S17-01 A Resolution to Condemn Anti-Semitism (Information):
- Patty informed Campus Life Council about the resolution process and timeline. She encouraged everyone to read the resolution on their own time attend the University Council meetings if they would like to learn more.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President:
- Women’s last basketball game is tonight! Please show support!
- Aztec Achievement Awards received 60 nominations!
- Encouraged everyone to be active.
- Jamie Miller, President:
- She invited Aztec Shops Dining Services to come speak at Campus Life Council meeting.
- Research and Assessment Committee is working on their charter and the collected data.
- Had A.S. office hours today in the Center for Intercultural Relations. They talked about A.S. accessibility. Jamie reminded everyone that A.S. is open to everyone and she encouraged student leaders to invite students to come to meetings.
- Dylan Colliflower, Vice President of External Relations:
- External Relations Board is taking action on different legislations that impact students.
- He will be going to the California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS) next weekend. Let Dylan know if there are any issues you would like him to bring up.
- Alex Shapiro, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Had Financial Affairs training for new members. There was a big turnout of faculty and students.
- Financial Affairs Committee will be doing formal training on how to do give presentations.
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Attended the General Education Conference. It went well. SDSU will establish various committees to review the different areas that the Reform will impact.
- Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Government Affairs & Programming Assistant Director:
- Gave an update on the A.S. elections 2017 timeline.
- Mustafa Alemi, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Is working on streamlining High School Conferences registration process.
- Daniel Matlock, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Research and Assessment Committee will meet this Friday to work on their charter.
- Reminded everyone to update roster for the upcoming elections.
- Arnelle Sambile, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Explained how the Live Well Aztecs initiative is doing.
- A.S. preparing for budget season. She explained how the increase in minimum wage in the next three years will impact A.S. and specifically the Children’s Center services.
- Informed everyone that by fall semester, there will be a new automated banking process for Recognized Student Organizations. Cal Coast Credit Union will be working with A.S. on this.
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- Informed everyone about the info booth restructure. Info will now be combined with Operations to work better.
- March 4 is the KnockOut basketball game. Food is provided!
- March 9 is Open Mic from 5-7pm in the Courtyard.
- Is looking for new Student Diversity representative to have more collaboration with SDC.
- Campus Community Commission:
- Cleanups have been very successful! The last one will be on Saturday, March 4 at 9am in the Union.
- Residence Hall Mixer is on April 6 from 11-1pm in the Courtyard. Let Curtis and Josh know if you would like to table at the event.
- Community Service Commission:
- Community Service Fair is next Tuesday from 10-2pm on Centennial Walkway.
- Is working with administration to create a class for civic engagement.
- Is looking into having a project called Little Free Library on campus for their March theme: literacy.
- Is having conversations on how to better market service opportunities to students.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- The Aztec Recreation Center (ARC) is having an Open House today! If you get a friend to join, you and your friend will get free ARC membership for April.
- March 9 is Live Well Late Night event from 7-11pm. Bowling will be free.
- Is working on Live Well Aztec Week.
- Student Diversity Commission:
- Rachel attended Susan Davis’ Roundtable.
- SDC discussed the resolution.
- Debriefed Spring Into Diversity. Thanked everyone for attending.
- Student Support Commission:
- Children Center’s Board is having a fundraiser on March 4.
- Is still in discussion for a collaboration with the library.
- Sustainability Commission:
- GreenFest is going on right now! Bike Brunch is tomorrow from 9:30-1:30pm.
- Concert is this Friday!
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Larges:
- Tagg cannot make it to meeting but has been meeting with everyone on his own time.
- Are working on transition event and binders.
- Marketing and Communications Commission:
- Is finalizing the elections video.
- Will vote at next week’s meeting to have vertical poles for A.S. to help with tabling.
- Phase 2 of Snapchat promotion is on Monday from 12-2pm in the Union.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive President Patty Masengale adjourned the meeting at 5:18 PM.
APPROVED BY: Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary