Wednesday, February 15, 2017 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Patty Masengale called the meeting to order at 3:35 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller (late), Patty Masengale, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Dylan Colliflower, Natalie Martinez, McKinley Kane, Chris Thomas (late), Rachel Muntz, Joey Lucero, Daniel Matlock, Marisa Cubing, Eran Bechor, Josh Miller, Arnelle Sambile, Alessandra Casey, Shelah Ott.
- Voting Members Absent: Alex Shapiro, Alexis Alexander-Hood, Tagg Hurtubise, Mustafa Alemi, Anya Shutovska, Carlo Lacson, Meghan Andrade, Curtis Copin, Ellen Rydell.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown, Dr. Randy Timm, Gerardo Cabral, Jennifer-Esquivel-Parker.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Jasmine Bermudez, Ana Morino.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of February 15, 2017
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous Campus Life Council minutes, dated 02/01/17, as attached.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
- “Check I’m Here” is used for the first time today. Data will be received by tomorrow.
- Dr. Timm will be training Campus Life Council on how to use the “Check I’m Here” system at the next council meeting.
- New Registration Presentation-Ana Morino (Time Certain 3:45pm):
- Ana updated everyone on the new registration process that will be implemented in the fall of 2017.
- Students will register for spring semester in November, summer semester before spring break, and fall semester after spring break.
- Received feedback to bring back to the taskforce.
- Daily Aztec Presentation-Jasmine Bermudez (Time Certain 4:00pm):
- Please email Jasmine at firstname.lastname@example.org when you have any events so the Daily Aztec can cover them.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
- Open Discussion:
- Natalie informed everyone about the inappropriate flyers. Dr. Timm offered his help and asked everyone to let staff handle the situation.
- Rachel would like to see more involvement in helping the food insecure and homeless students. Jamie informed everyone that the new Trader Joe’s will accept Cal Fresh. Shelah encouraged everyone to speak up in their classes about the Mobile Food Pantry to bring more awareness.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President:
- Please revisit the Get Involved worksheet and reword your commission descriptions to one to two lines. This will be due at next CLC meeting.
- If you have any further questions regarding the new registration, please email Patty!
- Nominations for Aztecs Achievement Awards are due this Friday!
- There are 3 home mens’ basketball games left! Go to them!
- Encouraged commissioner or rep to report at their board and commission meeting about what was discussed at CLC.
- Please help promote GreenFest! It is an A.S. initiative and we are all in this together.
- Spring into Diversity is this week and next week.
- Jamie Miller, President:
- This weekend is the Leadership Summit. Jamie encouraged everyone to attend and visit the A.S. President panel.
- Attended the SDSU App meeting and they are hoping to launch it soon.
- Please push for summer enrollment. It is very beneficial to take summer classes as it will help get some classes out of the way during the school year.
- Dylan Colliflower, Vice President of External Relations:
- Will attend the CSSA in San Francisco to discuss the following bills, AB 214, AB 216, AB 393.
- There is a Personal Statement and GRE-Grad School workshop from Gates to Success at Love Library 406.
- Alex Shapiro, Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Attended the CSU Academic Senate Conference.
- Chimezie and Gerardo trained the Ambassadors to volunteer at the Mobile Food Pantry.
- Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Government Affairs & Programming Assistant Director:
- A.S. received “a Resolution to condemn Anti-Semitism”. It will be on Wednesday’s UC agenda as information.
- Mustafa Alemi, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Daniel Matlock, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Reminded everyone that the Career Fair is still going on tomorrow!
- Encouraged boards and commissions to record statistics.
- Please begin your transition document!
- Arnelle Sambile, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Students of Color Conference planning is going well. Their keynote speaker is Edwina Welch, Director of the Cross-Cultural Center, at UCSD.
- Arnelle is unable to attend the Diveristy and Outreach Committee due to time change. Please let her know if you are interested in replacing her.
- Is doing research on other Associated Students and comparing ours to theirs.
- If you are thinking about applying to grad school, please reach out to Arnelle if you need any help.
- Jennifer Esquivel-Parker for Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Ballot order will be selected on Friday.
- Campaigning will start March
- Debates March 6-8. Voting on March 13-16 on webportal.
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- Thanked everyone for attending Mix It Up.
- Open Mic night and photo competition are on Thursday from 5-7pm.
- GreenFest tickets are presale right now for $10!
- Campus Community Commission:
- Is working with the community for a house book.
- Community Service Commission:
- Service Fair is March 7 from 10-2pm.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- Counseling and Psychological Services is hosting different events to promote wellness.
- Highest record of membership right now!
- Student Diversity Commission:
- Spring into Diversity is now! Please show us your support!
- Student Support Commission:
- Is in the early stages of planning collaboration with the library.
- Let Joey know if you would like to come to Student Support to present about your boards and commissions!
- Gave a shoutout to Curtis for reaching out to RHA for a joint collaboration.
- Reminded everyone to fulfill the promises you made during elections.
- Sustainability Commission:
- Please click attending all GreenFest events on Facebook to help promote.
- Presale ends this Friday. Pit tickets will only be available when the sale begins on Monday.
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Larges: None.
- Marketing and Communications Commission:
- Will have an informal tabling event to promote the A.S. Snapchat. There will be a scavenger hunt on snapchat for the next 4 weeks.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive President Patty Masengale adjourned the meeting at 5:13 PM.
APPROVED BY: Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary