SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
A.S. CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MINUTES
February 1, 2017 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Patty Masengale called the meeting to order at 3:34 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Alex Shapiro, Chimezie Ebiriekwe (late), Dylan Colliflower, Mustafa Alemi, Anya Shutovska, Carlo Lacson, Natalie Martinez, McKinley Kane, Ellen Rydell, Meghan Andrade, Chris Thomas, Rachel Muntz, Joey Lucero, Daniel Matlock, Marisa Cubing, Eran Bechor, Curtis Copin, Josh Miller, Arnelle Sambile (late), Alessandra Casey, Shelah Ott.
- Voting Members Absent: Alexis Alexander-Hood, Tagg Hurtubise.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown, Dr. Randy Timm.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Jasmine Bermudez.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of February 1, 2017
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous Campus Life Council minutes, dated 11/30/16, as attached.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
- The Smart Classroom process is going very well.
- Aztec Nights committee is looking at having reusable bottles with Aztec Nights logo for refreshments at events.
- Aztec Nights Presentation-Dr. Randy Timm, Dean of Students:
- Dr. Timm presented different proposed Aztec Nights logos and flyers to everyone and asked for feedback.
- Campus Life Council members discussed which of the 6 proposals that they like the best and least and gave explanations.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda: (Action) It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
- Selection of CLC Rep. to serve on Elections Coordinator Appointments and Review Ad-hoc Committee (Action):
It was moved and seconded to appoint Josh Miller as the CLC Rep. to serve on Elections Coordinator Appointments and Review Ad-hoc Committee.
- Open Discussion: Shelah and Alessandra congratulated the Union on receiving the LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) Double Platinum Awards and thanked Glen for working hard to help us achieve this.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President:
- Aztecs Achievement Awards nominations are available right now! Nominations close on February 17.
- Be Beautiful campaign will meet on Sundays at 4pm.
- CLC will be going to the Women’s Basketball game on February 15 with Ambassadors.
- Patty is representative for It’s On Us campaign. Please let her know if you would like to join.
- Is planning a CLC retreat in February.
- Jamie Miller, President:
- Research and Assessment Committee meeting is next Friday, February 10.
- Informed everyone about the President Executive Order and that A.S. offers free legal services for students.
- Please help Jamie break the election record of 83 candidates and aim for 100 this year!
- A.S. Alumni event is next Wednesday, February 8 from 6-7:30pm in Montezuma Lounge.
- A.S. office hours is next Wednesday from 12-1pm in the Center of Intercultural Relations.
- Dylan Colliflower, Vice President of External Relations:
- Attended CSSA this past weekend. He informed everyone on the Bridge Act, SB 16 and SB 54.
- Next Tuesday is the debate viewing in the Union Theater at 6pm.
- Alex Shapiro, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Financial Affairs Committee had its selection for new members. He is very excited to have more diversity this semester because there are two international students and two additional female members!
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Welcomed back!
- He will be attending the GE Reform Conference in Arizona at the end of February.
- Is currently interviewing the new Dean for Imperial Valley Campus.
- Please contact Chimezie to get certified to volunteer at the Mobile Food Pantry.
- Mustafa Alemi, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Board of Directors will be taking action on the A.S. leaders free arc membership next week.
- Informed everyone about the SDSU CommUnity, which is a coalition of students who do not have access to A.S.
- Spoke with McKinley and Joey about hosting a scholarship workshop for students.
- Daniel Matlock, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Encouraged everyone to actively recruit new members because 2nd semester retention tends to drop.
- Reminded everyone to reflect on last semester and how to improve for this semester.
- Highly encouraged everyone to apply for the Best Commission Awards in Aztecs Achievement Awards.
- Arnelle Sambile, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Encouraged everyone to look out for each other’s events so that they do not overlap as well as checking your budget to have the best quality events for students.
- Students of Color Conference found different method of funding!
- Is still working on finding institutional funding for the Project Rebound.
- Is working on having a Grad School Symposium for A.S. leaders.
- She has met with students to encourage them to run for the A.S. Election and encouraged everyone to do so as well!
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Children’s Center got flooded but is doing well now. The current director is leaving soon for maternity leave.
- Media center is approved! It should be open in the fall.
- Will be hiring a consultant to assist with beautifying the student union.
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- Mix It Up in the Union is on Monday, February 6 at the Courtyard from 12-2pm.
- Get the Scoop will be on February 7 from 3-3:30pm in the Student Lounge, and February 8 at 12pm in the Student Lounge.
- Tomorrow is Lunar New Year celebration in the Union from 12-3pm.
- Campus Community Commission:
- Is working on having a Residence Hall Mixer.
- Is working on updating the Good Neighbor brochure to be online.
- Let Curtis and Josh know if you have any interactive ice breakers!
- Community Service Commission:
- The theme for February is on animal shelter.
- Community Service Fair is on March 7 from 10-2pm. Please let Meghan and Anya know if you would like to see any service-based organization at the event.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- January membership is at 2nd highest with over 16,000 members!
- February 2nd is the semesterly fitness jam. It is from 7-11pm and is open to everyone.
- Student Diversity Commission:
- Spring into Diversity is from February 13-16 and 20-23.
- Student Support Commission:
- Is still working on Your Voice Matters for this semester. Joey and McKinley will have more updates next CLC.
- Career Fair is February 15 and 16 from 10-2pm.
- Received feeback from Student Support Commission members and they wanted more collaborations with other CLC boards and commissions. Joey and McKinley will contact everyone soon.
- Sustainability Commission:
- Green Lunch-bag series is next Wednesday from 12-2pm in the Theater. Topic will be on sustainable transportation.
- Is working on community choice energy provider.
- GreenFest is on February 27! Artist reveal is February 20.
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Larges: None.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive President Patty Masengale adjourned the meeting at 5:07 PM.
APPROVED BY: Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary