SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
A.S. CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MINUTES
November 30, 2016 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Patty Masengale called the meeting to order at 3:32 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Alex Shapiro, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Dylan Colliflower, Mustafa Alemi, Anya Shutovska, Carlo Lacson, Natalie Martinez, McKinley Kane, Alexis Alexander-Hood, Tagg Hurtubise, Ellen Rydell, Meghan Andrade, Chris Thomas, Rachel Muntz, Joey Lucero, Daniel Matlock, Marisa Cubing (left early), Eran Bechor (left early), Curtis Copin, Arnelle Sambile, Alessandra Casey, Shelah Ott.
- Voting Members Absent: Josh Miller.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Randy Timm.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Christina Brown.
- Visitors Present: Jasmine Bermudez, Paige Nulliner, Allie Broshar.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of November 30, 2016.
Daniel Matlock made an amendment to add Information Item B. Dakota Pipeline Presentation from Greenlove/Sustainability Commission. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous Campus Life Council minutes, dated 11/09/16, as attached.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
- The University has been taking action regarding some sensitivity with marginalized groups since the presidential election.
- Check I’m Here will begin on January 15. The name may be changed to SDSU Campus Live at State Check-in.
- Over 1,000 people attended One SDSU events this semester.
- Dakota Pipeline Presentation from Greenlove/Sustainability Commission:
- Informed everyone about what is happening with the Dakota pipeline situation and encouraged A.S. leaders to advocate against this construction.
- There is a DAPL peaceful demonstration tomorrow at 2:30pm in front of Hepner Hall.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President:
- Had a really great semester with everyone!
- All Council Training is next week at 3:30 following after by Holiday Dinner. Please RSVP to Patty’s email if you are going to Holiday Dinner.
- Secret snowflake sign up is open until tonight!
- Spring retreat will be on January 29.
- Aztecs Achievement Awards is on April 20. Let Patty know if you are interested in help planning for this event.
- Encouraged everyone to start thinking about goals for next semester during winter break. Patty is working on having a transition document that has specific details rather than general information about the positions.
- Please continue to empower your members!
- Jamie Miller, President:
- Received preliminary reports at Research and Assessment Committee. Jamie, Chloe and Daniel will be working on a summary report of all the data to bring back.
- First SDSUApp meeting is being pushed back.
- A.S. will be tabling at AB Samahan’s High School Conference this Saturday.
- Encouraged everyone to fill out the 360 reviews with constructive criticism.
- Aztec Shops CEO position interview is still ongoing.
- Reached out to the Educational Opportunity Program’s Director to possible host A.S. office hours in the EOP office.
- Is in the process of planning for spring semester’s All Council Training.
- Dylan Colliflower, Vice President of External Relations:
- He is very proud to see the commitment the student leaders, especially with Rock the Vote campaign.
- Will be reaching out to Mayor Faulconer to ask him to veto the city ordinance.
- Will work on having a FAQ for students to know their rights as renters.
- The vote on the propose CSU tuition is pushed back to March. Dylan is making a trip to Long Beach, please let him know if you are interested in joining.
- The CSU Budget will be the main focus for External Relations Board next semester.
- Alex Shapiro, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Aztecs Rock Hunger reveal is this Friday at 11am!
- Financial Affairs Committee just finished a lot of Fall Re-budgets. Alex is incredibly proud of the Financial Affairs Committee’s members.
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Chimezie is proud of the level of commitment from his first-year members in University Affairs Board.
- The first Mobile Food Pantry served over 90 students. There is another one tomorrow from 10-3pm. If you are interested in volunteering, you will need to be trained before you can do so.
- Mustafa Alemi, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Brought the idea of having a member compensation, such as free Aztec Recreation Center, and received feedback.
- Daniel Matlock, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Will be sending out a self-evaluation form to all commissions.
- Is working on collaboration between A.S. and Residence Hall.
- Arnelle Sambile, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- The Diversity, Equity and Outreach committee is writing a letter to President-elect Trump. Let Arnelle know if you would like to participate in this.
- Is working on collecting data from last year’s election to see the demographics and figuring out how to increase voter turnout for this year’s election.
- She is very proud of her commissions for doing incredible jobs this semester.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director: None.
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- ASUB retreat is on January 17.
- The board had a discussion on the strengths and weaknesses of ASUB and how they plan on improving for next semester.
- Greenfest Battle of the Band is tomorrow from 6-8pm!
- Last Nooner was today at noon.
- Campus Community Commission:
- Is proud of member participation.
- November 20 was the last community clean up and also was the biggest one.
- Community Service Commission:
- Both Meghan and Anya are extremely proud of the Community Service Commission’s members. There has been an increase in both quality and quantity this year.
- Encouraged commissions to do a survey with their committee members.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- The creation of committees and subcommittees has been very successful in giving their members roles within the commission. Chris loved seeing the commission being able to work on big events such as the new Recreation field’s Grand Dedication.
- Economic Crisis Response Team and the Commission are collaborating on an event called “Do You Want More Nutrition for Your Bucks”, which is happening at 5pm in Visionary Suite today.
- Student Diversity Commission:
- Tuesday, December 6 at 1:30pm is the Empowering A.S. through Diversity event.
- Rachel and Natalie are incredibly proud of the bonds the commission members have made this semester.
- Student Support Commission:
- Joey gave a shout out to Rachel for presenting at Student Support Commission on the Center for Intercultural Relations.
- Meet Your Ombudsmen event will be on Tuesday, December 6 at 12:30pm on the Terrace.
- Next meeting will be a reflection meeting.
- Joey and McKinley are proud to see all the teamwork happening within the commission.
- Sustainability Commission:
- Green Lunch-bag series had speakers on environmental justice and were very successful!
- Both Shelah and Alessandra are proud of their members for being so involved and passionate.
- The Student Union received the Double Platinum honor.
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Larges:
- Will bring back the Campus Life Council trophy next semester!
- April 27 is the transition meeting.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive President Patty Masengale adjourned the meeting at 5:07 PM.
APPROVED BY: Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary