SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
A.S. CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MINUTES
November 9, 2016 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Patty Masengale called the meeting to order at 3:32 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Alex Shapiro, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Dylan Colliflower, Mustafa Alemi, Josh Miller, Anya Shutovska, Carlo Lacson (late), Natalie Martinez, McKinley Kane, Alexis Alexander-Hood, Tagg Hurtubise, Ellen Rydell, Meghan Andrade, Chris Thomas, Rachel Muntz, Joey Lucero, Daniel Matlock (late), Marisa Cubing, Eran Bechor, Curtis Copin.
- Voting Members Absent: Arnelle Sambile, Alessandra Casey, Shelah Ott.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Randy Timm.
- Visitors Present: Jazmin Bermudez, Letty Hernandez.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of November 9, 2016.
McKinley Kane made an amendment to add Action Item B. Selecting a Campus Life Council representative to the Appointments and Review Committee. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous Campus Life Council minutes, dated 10/26/16, as attached.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm: None.
- Judicial Affairs Council Update:
- All requirements are due today at 4pm!
- Commission Presentation: Community Service Commission and Aztec Student Union Board explained their charter amendments and took questions.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
- Selecting a Campus Life Council representative to the Appointments and Review Committee: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to appoint McKinley Kane as the Campus Life Council representative to serve on the Appointments and Review Committee.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President:
- Patty handed back letters from retreat to everyone.
- Election viewing party went great!
- Pleas attend the Aztecs Rock Hunger announcement tomorrow!
- There were more than 42,000 attendees at the Homecoming football game.
- All Council Training and Holiday Dinner will be on December 7.
- Is in the process of planning Spring Retreat.
- Jamie Miller, President:
- Attended Compact for Success for 7th graders.
- Attended the Muslim Student Association and Pacific Islander Student Association’s High School Conferences.
- Addressed the robbery incident and Jamie is here if anyone would like to talk.
- Dylan Colliflower, Vice President of External Relations:
- Registered 1,300 new voters through Rock the Vote (RtV)!
- Gave a shoutout to Student Support Commission for helping with RtV tabling.
- Next Monday, the City Council will be voting on a city ordinance that affects the College Area. He highly encouraged everyone to attend this meeting.
- The Board of Trustees will vote on the tuition increase in March.
- Alex Shapiro, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Aztecs Rock Hunger reveal is tomorrow!
- Financial Affairs Committee approved the Fall Rebudget for Viejas Arena, CalCoast Open Air Theater, and the Childrens’ Center.
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs:
- General Education reform meeting is on November 18.
- Is working with administration on early registration, which will be in November for the Spring semester. This will be implemented beginning of Spring 2018.
- Mustafa Alemi, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Daniel Matlock, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Congratulated all the commissions and boards for doing great work!
- Spring semester class schedule is out.
- Let Daniel know if you would like to join the Research and Assessment Committee.
- Arnelle Sambile, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director: None.
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- Giving Thanks Dinner is next Thursday at 6pm in the Goldberg Courtyard.
- Eran will be reaching out to other commissions and boards for collaboration.
- Campus Community Commission:
- Had great volunteer turnouts at ARH tablings.
- Trick or Treat for Cans was very successful.
- November 20th is the next cleanup.
- Let Curtis know if you have experienced unpleasant encounter with the community. He can offer some tips and possible conversation starters.
- Community Service Commission:
- Will be volunteering with Urban Angels on December 4.
- ARH reveal is tomorrow at 11am!
- Encouraged everyone to make an A.S. team for the Aztecs Dance Marathon.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- There is a Nutrition Seminar on November 30 from 3-5pm.
- Will be attending the National Intramural Recreation Sports Association Conference (NIRSA).
- Grand dedication for the new Recreation Field went very well!
- Student Diversity Commission:
- Latinx celebration is tomorrow!
- Empowerment through Diversity event is in the planning process.
- Rachel will be presenting on the Center of Intercultural Relations at Student Support Commission.
- Students of Color Conference is on January 21.
- Student Support Commission:
- Is in the process of planning an Ombudsman event to bring awareness to students of what this office does.
- Your Voice Matters comment boxes have been distributed!
- Thanked everyone for attending the Town Hall event.
- Sustainability Commission: None.
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Larges:
- Will tally up points every week for the competition.
- Let them know if you need their help with anything.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive President Patty Masengale adjourned the meeting at 5:45 PM.
APPROVED BY: Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary