SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
A.S. CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MINUTES
October 12, 2016 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Patty Masengale called the meeting to order at 3:35 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Alex Shapiro, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Josh Miller, Anya Shutovska, Carlo Lacson, Natalie Martinez, McKinley Kane, Alessandra Casey, Alexis Alexander-Hood (late), Tagg Hurtubise, Ellen Rydell, Curtis Copin, Meghan Andrade, Chris Thomas, Rachel Muntz, Joey Lucero, Shelah Ott, Marisa Cubing, Daniel Matlock, Marisa Cubing, Eran Bechor.
- Voting Members Absent: Jamie Miller, Mustafa Alemi, Arnelle Sambile.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown, Randy Timm.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: None.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of October 12, 2016.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous Campus Life Council minutes, dated 9/28/16, as attached.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
- Homecoming Court announcement will be tomorrow.
- Please talk to him if you have any questions regarding the Horowitz poster incident on campus last week.
- Judicial Affairs Council Update:
- Patty reminded everyone that bylaw amendments deadline is October 28. All requirements are due November 9.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President:
- Encouraged everyone to sign up for the University Senate committees.
- Explained why Campus Life Council meeting is Scripps Cottage today. She did not want everyone to stay in Council Chambers for three hours and wanted to remind members Scripps Cottage is where A.S. started.
- Reminded everyone to keep in mind the following values for this year: compromise, proactive, brave, respect, accomplished.
- Jamie Miller, President: None.
- Dylan Colliflower, Vice President of External Relations:
- There is a debate tomorrow from 2:30-3:30pm in the Golberg Courtyard.
- Is partnering with GreenFest to put on an event on letter writing advocacy.
- Attended the City Council meeting to voice student concerns about the new ordinance on noise complaints.
- Encouraged everyone to push hard for the last week and a half of Rock the Vote. Please help Dylan table if you are free.
- Alex Shapiro, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Alex has been giving presentations on the budget and different ways of getting funds all across campus.
- Financial Affairs Committee retreat went very well. He and Carlos explained duties and responsibilities as committee members.
- Met twice with his FLEX mentee already.
- Aztecs Rock Hunger begins in five days! There is a new venmo account as an effort to make donations easier.
- Encouraged everyone to help him table for Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Updated everyone on the University Senate meeting and how the University is working on making course forgiveness to apply automatically.
- College Council Fair is on December 1 from 10-2pm.
- Met with the Provost to talk about academic advising.
- Mustafa Alemi, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Daniel Matlock, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- If you would like to order name tags for your boards and commissions, as well as ordering business cards for yourselves, please talk to Janice.
- Arnelle Sambile, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- ASUB is hosting a Halloween event on October 29 for Aztec Nights.
- Hired a new Programming Assistant, Nate. Please meet him if you have a chance!
- October 24 is the deadline to plan any collaboration with ASUB for the spring semester.
- Is currently updating their charter.
- Campus Community Commission:
- Good Neighbor Clean Up is this Sunday, October 16.
- There is a volunteer opportunity at the Boo Parade from 8-12pm.
- Community Service Commission:
- Will be tabling for Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- Grand opening for the new recreation field is on October 25 from 12-2pm. Make sure to RSVP!
- Student Diversity Commission:
- Retreat is on October 22 in the Center of Intercultural Relations from 10-3pm.
- Will be helping Student Support Commission on the Your Voice Matters campaign.
- Student Support Commission:
- Will be taking on Your Voice Matters campaign.
- Sustainability Commission: None.
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Larges:
- If you have any suggestions for the point-system, please let Tagg or Alexis know. Their email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Marketing and Communications Committee:
- Will be email out this link: bit.ly/asmarcomm to all councils. This will be used to request for signage of any event that you are hosting in the Union.
- Is working on getting A.S. decals.
- Focus group for the A.S. website will meet this upcoming month.
- Already have twenty members signed up to attend Fantastic Friday!
- Ellen reminded everyone that the FAFSA application for 2017-2018 is currently open!
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
President Jamie Miller adjourned the meeting at 4:49PM.
APPROVED BY: Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary