SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
A.S. CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MINUTES
September 28, 2016 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Patty Masengale called the meeting to order at 3:33 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale (left early), Dylan Colliflower, Alex Shapiro, Josh Miller, Anya Shutovska, Carlo Lacson, Natalie Martinez, McKinley Kane, Alessandra Casey, Alexis Alexander-Hood, Tagg Hurtubise, Ellen Rydell, Curtis Copin, Meghan Andrade (late), Chris Thomas, Rachel Muntz, Joey Lucero, Shelah Ott, Marisa Cubing, Daniel Matlock (left early), Arnelle Sambile, Marisa Cubing, Eran Bechor.
- Voting Members Absent: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Mustafa Alemi.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown, Randy Timm.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Chloe Sension, Michelle Parra, Annie Klups, Abel Mercado, Nicolai Mlodinow, SDSU Interim Chief Police Josh Mays, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Jessica Robinson, Brenda Hernandez, Lauren Duran, Dan Maringer, Matt Frankos, Crystal Little.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of September 28, 2016.
Josh Miller made a friendly amendment to add a time certain of 4:45pm to item D. Judicial Affairs Council Update. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous Campus Life Council minutes, dated 9/14/16, as attached. SHUTOVSKA/LACSON CARRIED
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
- Is in communication with the local community about the El Cajon shooting.
- Smart Classroom Fee is waived for this semester.
- Selection of A.S. Homecoming Reps (Time Certain 3:45pm):
- Jordan Maharaj and Michael Kagan were nominated as representatives for A.S. for Homecoming.
- SDSU Police Department Update-Interim Chief Josh Mays (Time Certain 4pm):
- Discussed the Center for Intercultural Relations’ office hours situation and explained what is being proposed moving forward. He answered questions related to this issue.
- Discussed any public information regarding the recent arrest on campus. He explained protocol for any arrest and the process for how cases are handled. He explained that he is prohibited from answering questions regarding information that has not yet been made public about cases.
- He closed by stating that he looks forward to working with the many communities on campus; listening to their specific concerns and building relationships with all citizens of the City of San Diego State University.
- Judicial Affairs Council Update (Time Certain 4:45pm):
- Abel reminded everyone to turn in documents to satisfy tabling requirements.
- Deadline for cultural event and Recognized Student Organization requirement is November 9th.
- Bylaw amendment deadline is October 28th. Track changes need to be included when sent to Judicial Affairs Council.
- Student Success Fee Proposals Presentation-Jessica Robinson, Assistant Dean for the College of Health and Human Services (Time Certain 5:30pm):
- Jessica presented on the different components of writing a successful proposal and provided tips for students.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President:
- Fantastic Friday is October 21 in Scripps Cottage.
- Homecoming is from October 30 to November 5.
- Registration for Homecoming 5k is next week. Application for student team competition is out!
- Encouraged everyone to do walk-arounds for the last week of the A.S. Is campaign.
- Jamie Miller, President:
- Addressed the Facebook group discussion and is very proud to see how open-minded everyone is today while having these tough discussions.
- Dylan Colliflower, Vice President of External Relations: None.
- Alex Shapiro, Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs: None.
- Mustafa Alemi, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Daniel Matlock, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Met with his first commission last week!
- Reminded everyone to take the A.S. Leaders Survey due by 5pm this Friday. Please respond to Daniel if you have or have not taken it.
- If you want to amend your charter, make sure to have it as an Information Item first.
- Arnelle Sambile, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- ASUB voted to approve athletic promotion on the digital signage.
- Voted on the new cost recovery rates for student/public usage of the Union.
- Campus Community Commission:
- Good Neighbor Clean Up is this cancelled this Sunday October 2. Next one will be October 16.
- Community Service Commission: None.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission: None.
- Student Diversity Commission: None.
- Student Support Commission: None.
- Sustainability Commission: None.
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Larges:
- Will have the point-system by next Campus Life Council meeting.
- Students-at-Large’s email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
President Jamie Miller adjourned the meeting at 6:03 PM.
APPROVED BY: Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary