SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
A.S. CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MINUTES
March 2, 2016 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Leo Carrillo called the meeting to order at 3:35 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Blaire Ward, Leo Carillo, Dominic Bilotti, Tyler Aguilar (late), Andrea Byrd, Suraj Patel, Meghan Andrade, Michael Liu, Itzelt Santos, Jack Doheny, Jamie Miller, Daniel Matlock(late), Chris Thomas(late), Michaela Hurtienne, Megan Goodman, Lorena Acosta, Patty Masengale, Arnelle Sambile, Kelsey Moss, Jenna Bueck, Joey Lucero, Vanessa Girard, Jack Doheny(late), Trevor Yarnall.
- Voting Members Absent: Vivian Lee.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Colton Speas for Jack Doheny, Curtis Copin for Daniel Matlock.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Christina Brown, Randy Timm.
- Visitors Present: Clayton Bishop, Jasmine Bermudez, Ellen Benecke, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of March 2, 2016.
A friendly amendment was made to add a 4:50pm Time Certain to item B. AS Elections Presentation under University Reports and Presentations. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of February 17, 2016, as attached.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
Jonathan Reilano from Student Veteran Organization (SVO) came to introduce himself to the council with the hope of having more collaboration for next year between SVO and all the boards and commissions.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
- Be aware of the student demands on campus and be understanding of everyone’s different experience.
- There were a total of 533 attendees at the Leadership Summit.
- He is in the process of planning OneSDSU and Aztec Nights for next year.
- A.S. Elections Presentation (Time Certain 4:50pm):
- Ellen Benecke, Elections Coordinator updated members on timelines. March 4th will be the first day of open campaigning. Debates will be next week. The results will be announced on March 17th at 8pm in Montezuma Hall.
- The goal for this year is to have 20% voter turnout, which would be a new record.
- Thanked A.S MarComm for their hard work on the marketing plan.
- There will be A.S Election t-shirts in the A.S office on a first come first serve basis for leaders not running in elections who want to help promote elections.
- Motto for this year’s election is Leave Your Legacy.
- Deadline for write-in applicants is March 11th by noon. We need candidates in Eudcation
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Leo Carrillo, Executive Vice President:
- Will be sharing feedback he got from Aztec Nights to improve the events for next year.
- Aztecs Game Experience will be meeting the first Monday of every month @12pm to promote Athletics.
- 2016 Football game schedule is out today!
- Last men’s basketball game is this Saturday.
- Encouraged everyone to apply for the Aztecs Achievement Awards. Applications are due on March 14th at 4pm. The goal is to have 145 applicants this year.
- Blaire Ward, President:
- Attended Chancellor Tim White’s event today and heard about the demands. She wanted A.S leaders to stay informed and be open minded.ail Blaire at firstname.lastname@example.org a list of the accomplishments that each individual has achieved.
- Tyler Aguilar, Vice President of External Relations:
- Informed everyone about the faculty strike from April 13-19th.
- He will be going to CHESS for CSSA to advocate for Pell grants.
- Updated everyone on Super Tuesday: Trump is leading the Republican Party while Clinton is leading the Democratic Party.
- Tomorrow is the Republican debate and March 6th is Democratic debate.
- Dominic Bilotti, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Will be meeting with student organizations that get funding from A.S for budgeting.
- Economic Crisis Response Team student group meets every Monday @3pm.
- Andrea Byrd, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Addressed last CLC meeting on why Ozzie came to present on the Aztecs Culture: There were two photos of students dressed in what they thought was Aztec attire for a Greenfest event. It was culture appropriation and Ozzie came to address that.
- Parking sensors will be tested in South Campus Plaza parking structure.
- There will be a new service dog policy in the fall.
- Informed everyone that the revenue gained from the increase in parking fees is being used on renovation of parking structures and fixing the lighting.
- Andrea and Blaire are working on a transportation safety video.
- A.S. Executive Director, Christina Brown:
- Informed everyone that an Associate Director of Programs and Marketing has been hired and the university is narrowing down candidates for Union Director position.
- She is looking forward to see how the student demands will develop in discussions.
- Trevor Yarnall, ASBOD Student-At-Large:
- Updated everyone on the last Alumni Board meeting.
- Will be meeting with Randy Timm for more information on the proposed beer garden.
- Patty Masengale, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Encouraged everyone to come out to Aztecs Rock on March 8th. The winning band will get to be the student opening act at Greenfest concert.
- Greenfest will be from April 17-22! The concert is on April 21!
- Already talked to all commissioners and reps about collaboration.
- Encouraged everyone to take the A.S Leaders survey.
- Lorena Acosta, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- In the process of planning the transitioning binders project.
- The university has narrowed down to 4 candidates for the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs for Student Achievements position.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Leo Carrillo adjourned the meeting at 5:15PM.
APPROVED BY: Leo Carrillo, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary