SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
A.S. CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MINUTES
February 17, 2016 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Leo Carrillo called the meeting to order at 3:33 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Blaire Ward, Leo Carillo, Tyler Aguilar, Andrea Byrd, Suraj Patel(late), Meghan Andrade, Michael Liu, Itzelt Santos, Jack Doheny, Jamie Miller, Daniel Matlock(late), Chris Thomas, Michaela Hurtienne, Megan Goodman, Lorena Acosta, Patty Masengale, Arnelle Sambile, Kelsey Moss, Jenna Bueck, Joey Lucero, Vanessa Girard, Jack Doheny(late).
- Voting Members Absent: Vivian Lee, Dominic Bilotti, Trevor Yarnall.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Anthony Piazza for Jack Doheny, Monica Algya for Daniel Matlock.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Christina Brown, Randy Timm.
- Visitors Present: Jordan Maharaj, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Ozzie Mon, Brandi Tonne, Christy Quinogue, Edwin Darrell.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of February 17, 2016.
A friendly amendment was made to add Information item D. Aztec Culture Presentation by Ozzie Mon with a time certain at 3:45pm.
The agenda was accepted as amended.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of February 3, 2016.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
Candice Luistro from the Gallo Wine Co. came to speak about their Management Development Program.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm: None.
- A.S. Executive Director, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker for Christina Brown:
- Christina is sick and therefore could not make it to the meeting today.
- Jen is very proud of boards and commissions for showing collaboration.
- Aztecs Achievement Award has “Commission/Board of the year” and Jen encouraged everyone to apply.
- Reminded everyone to do Last Chance Alternatives with Brenna and JAC if they cannot attend meetings.
- Application for commissioners will be due after spring break.
- Spring Into Diversity Recap Presentation-Arnelle Sambile, SDC Commissioner and Itzelt Santos, SDC Representative:
- Arnelle and Itzelt presented to the council the turnout of each of the events during the two-week period of Spring Into Diversity.
- Encouraged every board and commission to participate for next year.
- Aztec Culture Presentation by Ozzie Mon:
- Gave a brief history overview of the SDSU mascot.
- Encouraged everyone to be mindful on topics such as Cultural Appropriation.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Leo Carrillo, Executive Vice President:
- The SDSU Dance Team reached out to Leo to ask A.S to support their showcase on February 25th at 7:30pm. Ticket will be $5 each.
- Blaire Ward, President:
- Thanked everyone for staying at a long meeting this week!
- Princeton review is extended until Friday! Please take it if you have not.
- Know Your A.S Leaders campaign in going great!
- Please save Blaire’s number so you can talk to her about campus issues such as the $1.3 million for Destination SDSU project.
- Tyler Aguilar, Vice President of External Relations:
- Informed everyone about the faculty strike.
- Dominic Bilotti, Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Andrea Byrd, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Thanked everyone for coming out to College council expo.
- Take back the week will be from April 11-15th.
- Nobel Laureate, Richard Schock will be on campus on April 16th.
- TedxSDSU will be on March 6 in Montezuma Hall. Tickets are on sale on February 26th at 12pm. There is a limited amount of 100 tickets being sold for this event.
- Patty Masengale, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Baseball and softball opening is this weekend!
- Thanked everyone for participating in Aztecs Dance Marathon.
- Aztecs Rock is on March 8th.
- Lorena Acosta, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Will be meeting with the rest of her commissions soon.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Leo Carrillo adjourned the meeting at 6:10 PM.
APPROVED BY: Leo Carrillo, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary