CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
A.S. CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MINUTES
I. CALL TO ORDER:
Executive Vice President Kevin Hancock called the meeting to order at 3:30 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL:
A. Voting Members Present: Kevin Hancock, Jamie Miller, Abby Kim, Samuel Beltran, Patty Masengale, Blaire Ward, Leo Carillo, Drew Morris, Clayton Bishop, Kelsey Schroeder, Lorena Acosta, Kirk Sasaki, Tyler Aguilar, Megan Goodman, Grace Diaz, Niveen Kryakos, Jonathan Cole, Jacqueline Karczewski, Alex Padua, Keagan Casey, Kyle Murphy.
B. Voting Members Absent: Jennifer Reyes, Corey Polant, Marilyn Martinez.
C. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Clarice Mendoza, Abel Mercado (designee of Jennifer Reyes), Christina Brown, Randy Timm, Paige Nulliner.
D. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
E. Visitors Present: Eric Tamiyasu, Tom Abram.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of March 4, 2015.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of February 18, 2015.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
A. Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Board Vice Commissioner of Operations, Josh Vaughan reported:
- Josh introduced himself the Campus Life Council members and invited them to give him any feedback about their experience in the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
- He briefly explained the Operation Committee’s top 5 projects, which include upgrading the Union’s furniture, sitting area in the arcade walkway on the third floor, string lights above the courtyard, an additional lounge, and charging stations or lockers.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Randy Timm reported:
- The Aztec Dance Marathon is this Friday, 3/6 at 8 PM until Saturday 6/7 at 8 AM. Please come and support the Rady Children’s Hospital and all the students who have put a lot of work into planning this fundraiser.
- A Holi celebration will be held in the Hepner Quad this Sunday, 3/8 from 11-1 PM. Join SDSU in celebrating Holi with their own color festival and live DJ.
- Campus Life Movie Series – Made in Bollywood: Monday, 3/9 at 6 PM in the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Theater.
B. A.S. Executive Director, Christina Brown reported:
- During this year’s campaign season, please remember to keep your academics in high standing.
- Kudos to Josh Vaughan for all his hard work in his short time as Vice Commissioner of Operations so far!
- A committee has been formed to assess our campus’ resources for homeless and at-risk homeless students at SDSU. Subcommittees will be formed for this assessment process and communication to these students.
C. Student Affairs Department Presentation – Campus Energy Manager for SDSU’s Facilities Services, Tom Abram reported:
- Tom Abram spoke on upcoming initiatives that the energy council has for the SDSU Facilities Services. He invited the Campus Life Council members to ask him any questions regarding the university’s efforts to increase sustainability and conserve energy on campus. Contact Tom at email@example.com.
D. Judicial Affairs Council Update – Justice, Erik Tamiyasu reported:
- The deadline to nominate your deserving peers, councils, or faculty/staff mentors has been pushed to Monday, 3/9. Submit your nominations at http://as.sdsu.edu/aaa/.
- Language for the submitted student initiative referendum is being created and will be seen at Judicial Affairs Council in the near future.
- The rest of the council member requirements are due on Friday, 3/27. This includes the attendance of a different A.S. board, commission, or council other than your own, attendance of a cultural event. The completion of study abroad packets is to be determined.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:
A. General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS:
A. Kevin Hancock, Executive Vice President:
- Please resubmit your nominations for the Aztec Achievement Awards by Monday, 3/9. There was a glitch on the website where all submitted nominations were lost.
- Start thinking about the transition process between your current position and the next leader to take on your position.
B. J. Cole, President:
- Met with Greg Block, Chief Communications Officer for SDSU’s Marketing & Communications Media Relations to discuss an e-mail sent out by J. Cole regarding sexual violence prevention.
- 2,842 students enrolled in the Agents of Change program and 2,600 students participated in the Join Us programming last week.
- Register for Ex4Vets, which Saturday, 5/2, on the steps of the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union. The group workout will be from 11-12 noon.
C. Jacqueline Karczewski, Vice President of External Relations:
- This past week was full of a lot of traveling and lobbying for higher education.
- $137 million is currently allocated to the CSU system by the state legislature, but we’re asking for $97 million more, as this grand total is divided amongst all the 23 major campuses in the CSU system. Both Speaker of the Assembly Toni Atkins and Assembly Member Shirley Weber are proposing $150 million more for the CSU schools.
- The External Relation Board’s "It’s On Us" Campaign has started. Come and visit their table to sign the support the "It’s On Us" Pledge and receive a bracelet. Sign the Pledge online at https://as.sdsu.edu/itsonus/.
D. Alex Padua, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- The Financial Affairs Committee has been reviewing all the departments’ rebudgets for the A.S. Quarter 2 Financial Report.
E. Keagan Casey, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- All A.S. boards and commissions are welcome to submit their bylaws in to Alex Johnstone and Keagan Casey for review before they are submitted to the Judicial Affairs Council for final approval. The deadline for Alex and Keagan is Sunday, 3/15 and the deadline for final approval from the Judicial Affairs Council is Friday, 3/28.
- The A.S. Mentorship Program will have its kick-off event on Friday, 3/13 on the roof of the Union. Mentors will meet their mentees over great dialogue and refreshments.
- Student Research Symposium: Friday, 3/6 to Saturday, 3/7. Sign-up is tomorrow, Thursday, 3/5 in the Conrad Presby Aztec Student Union.
- Explore SDSU: Saturday, March 14 from 8-2 PM.
- Thank you to everyone for their participation in the Join Us programming last week!The Student Athletic Advisory Committee is hosting a shoe drive. Donate your old shoes to the boxes found around campus. Any sorts of shoes are welcome.
F. Clayton Bishop, ASCLC Student-at-Large Representative:
- Please complete the questionnaires sent out at the last Campus Life Council meeting.
- Congratulations to the Sustainability Commission for winning Campus Life Council Commission of the Week!
G. Drew Morris, Campus Community Commission Representative:
1. The next campus community clean-ups will be on Friday, 3/20, Sunday, 4/12, and Sunday, 4/19. All clean-ups will begin at 9 AM in the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
2. Conrats to Abel for winning Campus Community Commission’s Member of the Week!
H. Abby Kim, Community Service Commission Representative:
- Register for Ex4Vets!
- Community Service Commission will be creating a community service calendar on the A.S. website.
I. Lorena Acosta, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Board Commissioner:
- Open Mic Night: Thursday, 3/12 from 5-7 PM in the Lee & Frank Goldberg Courtyard.
- Get Up & Play: Tuesday, 3/10 from 4-6 PM in Templo Mayor.
- Participate in the remaining GreenFest events, including the GreenFest concert tomorrow in the California Coast Credit Union Open Air Theater.
- ASUB Operations Committee Meetings: Wednesdays at 3:30 PM.
J. Jamie Miller, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Board Representative:
1. Yevy’s last day is this Friday, 3/6. Her congratulatory celebration will be on the Union roof at 1 PM.
K. Tyler Aguilar, Recreation and Wellness Commissioner:
1. Check out The Hunting Ground, a documentary that reveals high education institutions’ efforts to cover-up rape crimes involving their own students and how this treatment effects the involved students and their families.
L. Blaire Ward, Student Diversity Commission Representative:
- SDSU Annual Diversity Awards: Wednesday, 4/29 from 3:30-5:00 PM in Montezuma Hall.
- SDC Retreat: Friday, 3/6 from 10-12 noon in Scripps Cottage. All are invited. SDC will be discussing their goals for next year and reflecting upon their growth this past year.
- On Monday, 4/6, a survey will be sent out to all SDSU students’ e-mails concerning sexual assault and the university’s efforts to educate its students on its prevention and impact on campus climate as a part of the Know More Campaign. Promote this survey and help the university investigate and eventually end sexual violence at SDSU. Use the hashtag, #sdsuknowmore, in any of your social media postings.
M. Leo Carillo, Student Support Commission Representative:
1. There will be a Your Voice Matters informational meeting in the Union Theater on Monday, 3/16 at 1 PM.
2. On Saturday, 3/28, the Children’s Center Board will be having a movie night, featuring the movie, Finding Nemo. Students are welcome to join!
3. The Student Support Commission will be collaborating with the Recreation and Wellness Commission on a health services promotion, to better educate SDSU students on the services their university provides.
N. Niveen Kryakos, Student Support Commissioner:
- Commuter Board Meeting: Tuesday, 3/10 at 1 PM in the Presidential Suite.Commuter Board Bowling Event: Monday, 3/16 at 3 PM in Aztec Lanes.Career Services will tabling from 10-12 noon.
O. Patty Masengale, Sustainability Commission Representative:
1. Come to Aztec Dance Marathon this weekend! It’ll be a lot of fun. It begins at 8 PM in the Aztec Recreation Center.
P. Megan Goodman, Sustainability Commissioner Representative:
- Thank you to everyone who has been attending the GreenFest programming so far!
- Check out the Enviro-Business Fair on Sunday, 3/22. Throughout the day, there will many business and organizations tabling, and at night, there will be a keynote speaker.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Kevin Hancock adjourned the meeting at 5:43 PM.