DECEMBER 3, 2014 – COUNCIL CHAMBERS
CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
I. CALL TO ORDER:
Executive Vice President Kevin Hancock called the meeting to order at 3:30 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL:
A. Voting Members Present: Kevin Hancock, Jamie Miller, Abby Kim, Samuel Beltran, Blaire Ward, Patty Masengale, Leo Carillo, Clayton Bishop, Kelsey Schroeder, Lorena Acosta, Tyler Aguilar, Kirk Sasaki, Megan Goodman, Niveen Kryakos, Grace Diaz, Jennifer Reyes, Jonathan Cole, Jacqueline Karczewski, Alex Padua, Corey Polant, Keagan Casey, Kyle Murphy.
B. Voting Members Absent: Megan Goodman.
C. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Christina Brown, Clarice Mendoza, Esperanza Tapia, Randy Timm.
D. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
E. Visitors Present: Sean Guardian, Drew Morris.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of December 3, 2014.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of November 12, 2014.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Randy Timm, reported:
- There was a World’s AIDS Day movie showing last night, part of One SDSU Community’s programming.
- Investigations on the Take Back the Night occurrence and other offenses are ongoing.
- Classes for the Leadership Minor will be available in January. It will include 15 total units and will admit students on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- The Student Life and Leadership office will now have a swipe system for their offices.
- It is great to see that the commuter area is the most visited area in Student Life and Leadership.
B. A.S. Executive Director, Christina Brown reported:
- Good luck on finals everyone!
- $70,000 is going towards the remodeling in the office space within the A.S. offices on the third floor of the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union. In addition to that, the furniture in the Union will be evaluated during winter break.
- In January, look forward to an update on the development of an entrepreneurial space in the empty space by the bus stop at the south side of the Union.
- Lot W will be looked at for a potential conversion to a recreational field for students.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:
A. General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS:
A. Kevin Hancock, Executive Vice President:
- Thank you commissioners and representatives for all your hard work this semester!
- Tickets for the Poinsettia Bowl will be available next week. Congrats to our football team for being undefeated at Qualcomm.
- Planning for the A.S. Leaders Spring Retreat is in the process. It will be at the end of January.
- Next semester, we will be having elections for the A.S. leaders for 2015-16. Our goal is a 25% turnout. Please run or encourage your peers to run for our available positions!
B. J. Cole, A.S. President:
- A statement from J. Cole was sent out to the university about sexual assault crimes that have occurred on campus. The campaign to promote sexual violence prevention is unique because it is one of the only student-initiated initiatives. The InterFraternity Council voluntarily suspended all social activities until further notice.
- The development of the co-curricular transcript is in its final stages. The College of Business will test out the program first and it will later be available to all the rest of the university.
C. Jacqueline Karczewski, Vice President of External Relations:
- An SDSU application for smart phones is being discussed.
- Check out Aztec TV’s latest episode at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSmkRVRdPR4.
- The Associated Student LinkedIn page is being updated regularly. Visit it at https://www.linkedin.com/company/associated-students-of-san-diego-state-university.
- External Relations Board will be looking at how other campuses are handling instances and education about sexual violence.
- There will be a student sexual violence prevention meeting.
D. Corey Polant, Vice President of University Affairs:
- After all the $300,000 designated to fulfill student proposals requested by the college councils, another $150,000 was found to cover the rest of the proposals that weren’t originally covered.
- An online waitlist has been developed for spring registration.
E. Jamie Miller, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Board Representative:
- ASUB will be hosting assessments for the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union. A prize will be given to participants for their time.
F. Lorena Acosta, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Board Commissioner:
- There will be a stress relief programs in the Conrad PrebysAztec Student Union tomorrow in the Lee & Frank Goldberg Courtyard.
G. Tyler Aguilar, Recreation and Wellness Commissioner:
- More information on the Live Well Aztecs initiative can be found at https://arc.sdsu.edu/wellness/index.php?sub=18.
- Applications for the vacant position for Sport Clubs & Intramural Sports Supervisor are available on the A.S. website: http://affiliated.sdsu.edu/AS/as.htm.
- Apply to be a peer health educator by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
H. Drew Morris, Campus Community Commission Representative:
- Campus Community Commission will be meeting weekly starting next semester.
I. Blaire Ward, Student Diversity Commission Representative:
- The deadline to send in your nominations for the Diversity Awards is December 7th.
J. Leo Carillo, Student Support Commission Representative:
- A dropbox designated for students to write down their concerns will be placed at certain locations on campus, giving students the opportunity to voice their opinions.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Kevin Hancock adjourned the meeting at 4:51 PM.