SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
MARCH 26, 2014
COUNCIL CHAMBERS CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
A.S. CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MINUTES
I. CALL TO ORDER:
Executive Vice President Becca Cohen called the meeting to order at 3:35 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL:
- Voting Members Present: Becca Cohen, Ezinne Ofeogbu, Jacqueline Karczewski, Cassie Zimmerman, Alyssa Carbajal, Megan Goodman, Gabrielle Gray, Hassan Abdinur, Grace Diaz, Haochin (Eddie) Iing, Dara Majdi, Kelsey Schroeder, Tyler Aguilar, Jordan Wells, Michelle Ong, Corey Polant, Josh Garman, Kevin Hancock, Josh Morse, Javier Gomez, Mariah Kelly.
- Voting Members Absent: Tianna Williams, Washington Navarrete, Morgan Chan.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Christina Brown, Clarice Mendoza.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Timothy Quinnan. E. Visitors Present: Sean Guardian, Lorena Acosta, Amy Schiller, Nick Serrano.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of March 26, 2014. ABDINUR/GRAY Javier Gomez added a time certain at 3:40 PM for the Aztec Recreation Logo Presentation as a friendly amendment. The agenda was approved as amended.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of March 12, 2014. HANCOCK/AGUILAR CARRIED
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Tim Quinnan: None.
- A.S. Executive Director, Christina Brown reported:
- Christina is working on a project with transgender students on issues that have been found with the university policy and the gender neutral bathrooms in the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union. During the week of April 7, SDSU will be celebrating Transgender Awareness Week, where there will be programming including a gender neutral bathroom challenge. Students will be challenged to use only gender neutral bathrooms for the week to understand the struggle that transgender students’ experience.
- Judicial Affairs Council Update, Chief Justice Sean Guardian reported:
- If you missed your tabling requirement, please e-mail Jen by the end of the week. Judicial Affairs Council will review the submissions and evaluate its validity for excusal.
- A.S. Member Duties Sheets are due after spring break.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- General Consent Agenda: (Action) It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached. KARZCEWSKI/MAJDI CARRIED
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Becca Cohen, Executive Vice President:
- The SDSU Men’s Basketball is in the Sweet Sixteen! If you are attending the game or not this Thursday, please wear black to show your support.
- Becca conducted a discussion on the transitioning of current members with incoming members with the Campus Life Council members. A transition event will be happening in the next month.
- Thank you to everyone who sent in their nominations for the Aztec Achievement Awards! Awards Committee will be meeting this Friday to review over the applications. The invitation process will be changing where more leaders will be invited to the event. The event will be on May 1!
- Becca will be having a Homecoming planning night after spring break. Please bring any feedback you have on Homecoming to Becca.
- Josh Morse, President:
- University Council had a good discussion about the Student Success Fee at their meeting last week. Please send your comments and questions to Josh.
- The first Campus Fee Advisory Committee meeting after the Student Success Fee forums will be on Fri., 4/11. Students are welcome to attend.
- The 50th Anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr. speaking at San Diego State University is on April 30. There will be an essay contest.
- Cal Coast Credit Union is hosting a reception. Campus Life Council members are invited to attend.
- Be safe over spring break!
- Javier Gomez, Vice President of External Relations:
- CSSA San Diego is from 4/12-4/14. Javier is working with Quinnetta to plan this event.
- ERB’s Made in the CSU campaign went very well.
- Ezinne Ofeogbu, Aztec Student Union Board Representative:
- Aztec Student Union Board Informational Session: Tues., 4/8.
- Jacqueline Karczewski, Community Service Commission Representative:
- Community Service Expo: Wed., 4/9 in Scripps Cottage.
- Tyler Aguilar, Recreation and Wellness Commissioner:
- Wellness Expo: Thurs., 4/17.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. MORSE/KARCZEWSKI CARRIED
Executive Vice President Becca Cohen adjourned the meeting at 5:05 PM.