Executive Vice President Becca Cohen called the meeting to order at 3:38 PM.
A. Voting Members Present: Becca Cohen, Ezinne Ofeogbu, Jacqueline Karczewski, Cassie Zimmerman, Megan Goodman, Gabrielle Gray, Alyssa Carbajal, Hassan Abdinur, Grace Diaz, Dara Majdi, Kelsey Schroeder, Tyler Aguilar, Michelle Ong, Corey Polant, Tianna Williams, Josh Garman, Kevin Hancock, Washington Navarrete, Josh Morse, Morgan Chan.
B. Voting Members Absent: Jordan Wells, Javier Gomez, Mariah Kelly.
C. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Clarice Mendoza.
D. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Christina Brown, Dr. Timothy Quinnan.
E. Visitors Present: Mark Zakrewski, Quinnetta Simmons, Jamie-Lee Miller, Alex Johnstone, Daphney Bitanga.
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of February 26, 2014.
Morgan Chan made a friendly amendment to add a Judicial Affairs Committee Report with a 4:15 PM time certain as Item E under University Reports and Presentations.
The agenda was approved as amended.
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of February 12, 2014.
A. Student, Hassan Abdinur reported:
1. Hassan informed the Campus Life Council members on the discussion on Divestment and how the Resolution in Support of Divestment for the Human Rights of the People of Palestine will be coming to Campus Life Council if the Student Diversity Commission approves of it. Take the time to go over the Resolution beforehand and become aware of it. If you have any questions, please contact Hassan.
A. SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Tim Quinnan:
B. A.S. Executive Director, Christina Brown:
C. GreenFest 2014 Presentations – GreenFest Executive Committee Chair, Washington Navarrete, reported:
1. Washington presented the mission, purpose, goals, structure, and progress made by the GreenFest Executive Committee so far this semester. The celebration will be from April 21 to April 25. There has already been programming planned for the week so stay tuned for more information in the upcoming weeks.
2. The featured artist will not be announced at the Artist Showcase like it was last year. The Committee is coming up with a different way to make the grand announcement.
D. Recreation Feasibility Study Update – Aztec Recreation Director, Mark Zakrewski, reported:
1. Mark explained what the Aztec Recreation Department is and several key facts about the work that Aztec Recreation does for SDSU students.
2. The feasibility study and field study have been completed. A complete report on that shall be posted soon.
3. A weight area has replaced a couple of the racquetball courts by Peterson Gym, leaving behind three courts.
4. Cassie and Tyler reported on the special events happening on Live Fit @ the Union Day.
5. There will be a Wellness Expo on April 12, where vendors, a keynote speaker, promotional items, and people to speak about career opportunities will be offered. The event will end in a walk throughout campus.
E. Judicial Affairs Council Report – Justice, Alexandria Johnstone, reported:
1. Alex reminded Campus Life Council on the upcoming deadlines for requirements and the progress made on appointments so far.
A. General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
It was moved and seconded to separate out the 2/12 Campus Program Funding Minutes.
Tyler Aguilar made a friendly amendment to the motion to only separate out the funding requests by the Marine and Ecology and Biology Association, Students for Justice in Palestine, and K. O. Hip Hop Dance Team to be referred back to the Campus Program Funding Board.
The motion carried as amended.
It was moved and seconded to approve the referral of the funding request for the K.O. Hip Hop Dance Team Show back to the Campus Program Funding Board.
It was moved and seconded to approve the referral of the funding request for the Marine and Ecology and Biology Association’s Coastal and Marine Institute and Laboratory Open House back to the Campus Program Funding Board.
Hassan Abdinur called for a division.
The motion to approve the referral of the funding request for the Marine and Ecology and Biology Association’s Coastal and Marine Institute and Laboratory Open House back to the Campus Program Funding Board carried (9-7-1.)
It was moved and seconded to approve the referral of the funding request for the Students for Justice in Palestine’s 5th Annual Palestine Awareness Month back to the Campus Program Funding Board.
Hassan Abdinur called for a division.
The motion to approve the referral of the funding request for the Students for Justice in Palestine’s 5th Annual Palestine Awareness Month back to the Campus Program Funding Board carried (9-6-1.)
A. Becca Cohen, Executive Vice President:
1. The Aztec Achievement Awards nomination form is available on the A.S. website at https://as.sdsu.edu/govt/forms/AAAapp.php.
2.Volunteers are needed for the Aztecs Unite @ the Union Day on Saturday, March 8. Contact Becca if you’re interested.
3. A Google Doc will be made soon listing all of Campus Life Councils’ events.
B. Josh Morse, President:
1. Grand Dedication Week is going to be awesome! Kudos to everyone who was involved in the planning of the weeklong celebration.
2. Remember to stay healthy through midterm season! Our amount of sleep and good nutrition during this stressful time is crucial.
3. The Campus Fee Advisory Committee has reviewed over the results of the Student Success Fee forums and will be forming their proposal of a student fee increase to be sent to the Chancellor’s office.
C. Morgan Chan, Vice President of University Affairs:
1. The Event of the Week schedule has been finalized and Quentin from the A.S. Graphics department has created flyers to be passed out with all the events.
2. There will be two more all-campus open forums to give the university a chance to meet and speak to the three candidates to become our Provost.
- Tuesday, March 4 from 3:30-4:30 PM in the Athletics Auditorium for the second candidate, Tyler Stovall, the current Dean of the Undergraduate Division at University of California, Berkeley
- Tuesday, March 18 from 3:45-4:45 PM in the Aztec Student Union Theatre for the third candidate, Chukuka Enwemeka, the current Dean of the College of Health Sciences for the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
3. Morgan gave an update on the items discussed at the last University Council meeting.
D. Josh Garman, Board of Directors Student-at-Large:
1. The Student Research Symposium is on March 7-8 in the Love Library. Check out the scholarly achievements made by students engaging in research at SDSU.
E. Kevin Hancock, Board of Directors Student-at-Large:
1. The newly renovated Nasatir Hall and Storm Hall are both impressive!
F. Dara Majdi, Aztec Student Union Board Commissioner:
1. Grand Dedication Week is next week. Look on the A.S. website for the full list of events.
G. Hassan Abdinur, Campus Community Commission Representative:
1. Divestment Open Forum is being held on March 4.
H. Kelsey Schroeder, Community Service Commissioner:
1. On April 12, there will be a Relay for Life at SDSU.
2. There will be a work party at the College Community
I. Megan Goodman, Sustainability Commission Representative:
1. Go Green @ the Union Day is next Wednesday, March 5. Participate in all the events that day!
J. Michelle Ong, Student Diversity Commissioner:
1. If you have any proposals on goals for the Student Diversity Commission to work on as a commission, please contact Michelle.
K. Corey Polant, Student Support Commissioner:
1. The Commuter Student Board will be having an event at Aztec Lanes titled "Day on the Lanes."
L. Alyssa Carbajal, Student Support Commission Representative:
1. The Student Support Commission will be tabling on Wednesday, March 12 in from of the MTS Trolley Station from 8 AM-12 PM to offer breakfast items to students commuting via the trolley and to advertise for the Commuter Student Board and Commuter Student Center in the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
M. Grace Diaz, Campus Life Council Student-at-Large:
1. Counseling and Psychological Services has "hired" a therapy pet named Baxter, who can be visited in the Love Library, in an effort to reduce stress during midterms and final exams.
N. Bree Lutjens, Marketing and Communications Co-Chair:
1. MARCOMM is working on the reveal of the GreenFest featured artist.
2. The second episode of the State Report is now public on YouTube. It can be found at http://youtu.be/fHdBNTHVWGM.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Becca Cohen adjourned the meeting at 6:20 PM.