Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, November 8, 2021 - 3:30pm
Viejas Arena Mezzanine
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President Ashley Tejada called the meeting to order at 4:18 p.m.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Ashley Tejada (left early), Karina Esteban, Shawki Moore, Austin Barber (left early), Jennifer Schenkenfelder, Beth Bridges, Alexia Oduro, Simran Jain, Ari Weizman, Margot Ermer (left early), Stephen Jackson, Dr. J. Luke Wood (left early)
- Voting Members Absent: Jessica Rentto
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Janice Dils
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Christy Samarkos
- Guests: Carlos Careaga
III. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for November 8, 2021.
ODURO/JAIN CARRIED (11-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous meeting minutes of the 10/25 ASBOD meeting.
WEIZMAN/BRIDGES CARRIED (11-0-0)
V. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: No report.
- University President’s Designee: No report.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda.
ERMER/JACKSON CARRIED (11-0-0)
- General Consent Report (Information)
The General Consent Report was reviewed.
- A.S. Child Care Audit (Information) - Carlos Careaga, A.S. Finance Director, and Michelle Zamora, A.S. Children’s Center Director
Carlos Careaga presented the A.S. Child Care Fund Audit conducted by Grant Thorton.
- SDSU Principles of Community Statement Review (Information)
Ashley led a discussion regarding the review of the proposed SDSU Principles of Community statement. This item will be approved at next week’s meeting.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Committee: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee (FAC): None.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: None.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Ashley Tejada reported on the following:
- Part of the Your Mental Health Matters working group.
- Attended the Academic Policy & Planning meeting and Honorary Degree meeting.
- Attended the Strategic Plan Activity 8 & 13 strategic committees.
- Working with David Gamble regarding the global education center.
- Working on the theme for the Leadership Summit.
- There is a BOD dinner after next week’s BOD meeting.
- Next Wednesday is the All Council Giving Thanks dinner.
- Save the date for 12/8 for the A.S. Council Holiday Dinner.
- Executive Vice President: Karina Esteban reported on the following:
- Homecoming Week is this week - events to come include the ARH Carnival, National Panhellenic Council (NPHC) Yardshow at 5:30 p.m. and the ARH/Homecoming 5K on Saturday morning. The Homecoming game is in Carson versus Nevada.
- Chairing the Your Mental Health Matters work group. The push week is from 11/29 through 12/3. The sign up for tabling will be shared at the All-Council meeting.
- Vice President of External Relations: Shawki Moore reported on the following:
- A.S. Monthly Minute videos on instagram, highlighting student union events
- Planning the Cocoa and Conversation event on Dec. 2, 2:30-3:30 p.m.
- California State Student Association (CSSA) Plenary was this weekend and Rob Winter attended.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Austin Barber reported on the following:
- Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) is from 10/22 to 11/14. The push day is tomorrow from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Union. There will be a carnival. Please wear your shirts.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Jennifer Schenkenfelder reported on the following:
- The College Council Retreat is this coming Sunday.
- Met with Provost Ochoa regarding academic policies, Saturday exams, and course availability.
- Having continued discussions with the Academic Affairs Committee regarding the advising.
- Chris Turtine of CARES presented at last week’s University Council.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- There is an All-Council meeting this Wednesday with a mental health presentation and A.S. Campus Life Council will follow.
- A.S. will have a suite at the Homecoming game this Saturday. Please come say hi if you are at the game.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEMBERS:
- Alexia (Lex-O) Oduro reported that the A.S. accommodation form is live and on the A.S. website.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 6:02 p.m.
JAIN/WEIZMAN CARRIED (7-0-0)