Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, October 25, 2021 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers - Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President Ashley Tejada called the meeting to order at 3:34 p.m.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Ashley Tejada, Karina Esteban, Shawki Moore, Austin Barber, Jennifer Schenkenfelder, Beth Bridges, Alexia Oduro, Simran Jain, Ari Weizman, Margot Ermer, Jessica Rentto (arrived late)
- Voting Members Absent: Stephen Jackson, Dr. J. Luke Wood
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Janice Dils
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Christy Samarkos
- Guests: Zamira Fuentes, Matthew Monges, Josh Mays, Mike Hastings
III. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for October 25, 2021.
ERMER/BRIDGES CARRIED (9-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous meeting minutes of the 10/11 ASBOD meeting.
BRIDGES/ODURO CARRIED (9-0-0)
V. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: No report.
- University President’s Designee: Christy Samarkos that this morning was a great start to Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- University Police Department Presentation, Joshua Mays, Chief of Police, and Captain Mike Hastings (Time Certain 3:45 p.m.)
Joshua Mays and Mike Hastings provided an introduction about their new roles at the University Police Department.
- Principles of Community Statement Presentation, Dr. Rebecca Lewison, Director of Research Initiatives - Broadening Inclusive Excellence, Division of Research and Innovation (Time Certain 4:15 p.m.)
Dr. Rebecca Lewison presented the proposed Principles of Community statement for San Diego State University. The A.S. Board of Directors will review and discuss at the next meeting on November 8.
- Aztecs Rock Hunger Presentation - Austin Barber, A.S. Vice President of Financial Affairs (immediately after Item D.)
Austin Barber presented on Aztecs Rock Hunger, the annual initiative to raise funds for the Jacobs & Cushman San Diego Food Bank. The initiative is from 10/22 through 11/14/21. Please donate!
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda.
ERMER/JAIN CARRIED (10-0-0)
- General Consent Report (Information)
The General Consent Report was reviewed.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Committee: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee (FAC): None.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: None.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Ashley Tejada reported on the following:
- Mission Valley campus look-around and tour. The 125th Anniversary of SDSU will be next year and the event planning is starting.
- Karina and I would be traveling to Washington, D.C., to accept the Seal of Excelencia, a designation for SDSU as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
- Met with California State University Dominguez Hills to discuss recreational facilities.
- Provided updates on the President's Budget Advisory Committee, Strategic Plan Activity Numbers 8 and 13, and Campus Fee Advisory Committee (CFAC).
- Executive Vice President: Karina Esteban reported on the following:
- The Homecoming Royal applications close at 12 p.m. this Wednesday. There will be a Homecoming Royal Court announcement next week.
- Working on a Your Mental Health Matters campaign. The push week will be from 11/29-12/3.
- Vice President of External Relations: Shawki Moore reported on the following:
- A.S. Monthly Minute videos on instagram, highlighting student union events
- Civic engagement panel, Dec. 2, 2:30-3:30pm. Finalized different panelists.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Austin Barber reported on the following:
- Aztec Rock Hunger (ARH) kickoff event went well, we had 22 walkarounds.
- Tabling coming up at football games for ARH.
- At the Financial Affairs Committee -historical data on monetary funding, and history of travel costs.
- Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) is from 10/22 to 11/14. There will be a kickoff event on Monday, 10/25 at 9 a.m.in the Courtyard. This year’s theme is “Welcome Back by Giving Back”.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Jennifer Schenkenfelder reported on the following:
- Having discussions with the Academic Affairs Committee regarding the academic success space and about advising.
- UAB/AAC Saturday exams will be looked into.
- Will collaborate with Dr. Mitchell on loss during COVID.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- ARC approved by the fire marshal.. Will have a ribbon cutting ceremony. The ARC received temporary occupancy and we hope to have you all tour the new ARC in November.
- Campus Safety Committee on Campus Community Commission will be reinstated.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEMBERS:
- Margot Ermer reported that the College of Engineering Student Council (CESC) pumpkin drop will be held on 10/26, 12-3pm in the Student Union. Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) taskforce: hired Aztecs for Recovery. 10/31 Greek Life and GNP clean up, 10-12 p.m.
- Alexia (Lex-O) Oduro reported that there is a new College of Arts and Letters (CAL) representative, Sean Stouffer. PSFA has new positions.
- Beth Bridges reported that the College of Health and Human Services College Council (CHHSCC) held a transfer student event at Oggi’s Pizza last week, with a great turnout.
- Working with the Student Support Commission to update the SDSU Resource Guide.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:34 p.m.
MOORE/JAIN CARRIED (10-0-0)