Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, October 11, 2021 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers - Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President Ashley Tejada called the meeting to order at 3:33 p.m.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Ashley Tejada, Karina Esteban, Shawki Moore, Austin Barber, Jennifer Schenkenfelder, Beth Bridges, Alexia Oduro, Simran Jain (arrived at 3:41 p.m.), Stephen Jackson, Ari Weizman, Margot Ermer, Dr. J. Luke Wood, Jessica Rentto
- Voting Members Absent: None.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Janice Dils
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Christy Samarkos
- Guests: Carlos Careaga
III. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for October 11, 2021.
WEIZMAN/BRIDGES CARRIED (11-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous meeting minutes of the 9/27 ASBOD meeting.
ERMER/JACKSON CARRIED (11-0-0)
V. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto reported on the following:
- The Shared Governance Town Hall was very well organized. Great job!
- Appreciates Associated Students’ support on the carbon neutrality study.
- University President’s Designee: Dr. Luke Wood reported on the following:
- Provided an update regarding California State University Basic Needs and mental health funding.
- Provided a Campus Fee Advisory Committee (CFAC) update regarding international students.
- Thank you for A.S.’ efforts with mental health advocacy.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda of 10/11/21 which included minutes from the Financial Affairs Committee (from 9/20 through 10/11), and Marketing & Communications Committee (9/15 and 9/22).
JACKSON/JAIN CARRIED (12-0-0)
- General Consent Report (Information)
The General Consent Report was reviewed, which included minutes of the Campus Life Council (9/15), University Council (9/22) and the Judicial Affairs Council (9/24)
- A.S. 2020-2021 Year End Review - Carlos Careaga, A.S. Finance Director (Information)
Carlos Careaga reviewed the 2020-2021 year end financial review of Associated Students.
- A.S. Global Education Scholarships - Winter and Spring 2022 - Austin Barber, A.S. Vice President of Financial Affairs
Austin informed the A.S. Board of Directors that at today’s Financial Affairs Committee meeting, the committee approved virtual and in-person scholarships for global education (study abroad) experiences for winter and spring 2022.
- Team Building Activity - Ashley Tejada, A.S. President (Information)
Ashley led a team building activity.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Committee: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee (FAC): None.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: None.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Ashley Tejada reported on the following:
- Planning an A.S. Committee Chairs orientation with David Gamble, A.S. Chief of Staff.
- Working on the wellness piece of the new Aztec Recreation Center (ARC).
- Scheduling one-on-one check-ins with the Board of Directors.
- Attending Activity 8 & 13 Strategic Plan meetings regarding third party revenue.
- Working with Karina Esteban, Dr. Andrea Dooley and Dr. Jennifer Rikard regarding mental health initiatives.
- Attended luncheon with University Relations and Development (URAD).
- Provided an update regarding CFAC.
- Executive Vice President: Karina Esteban reported on the following:
- The Homecoming theme is “SDSU Together As One”. Homecoming Royal applications are available.
- Currently on the Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) Student executive board.
- Vice President of External Relations: Shawki Moore reported on the following:
- California State Student Association (CSSA) Plenary is this weekend.
- Assembly Bill (AB) 1456 was vetoed. AB 928 passed and it addressed some financial aid aspects.
- A.S. instagram currently has over 6,000 followers and are currently highlighting Filipinx History Month.
- Working with the Center for Intercultural Relations.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Austin Barber reported on the following:
- The Financial Affairs Committee (FAC) elected a new FAC Vice Chair.
- Working on funding for student organizations and funding policies.
- Met with Agnes Wong Nickerson and learned about the SDSU budget.
- Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) is from 10/22 to 11/14. There will be a kickoff event on Monday, 10/25 at 9 a.m.in the Courtyard. This year’s theme is “Welcome Back by Giving Back”.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Jennifer Schenkenfelder reported on the following:
- Having discussions with the Academic Affairs Committee regarding the academic success space and about advising.
- Conducted a walkthrough of the library with Beth Bridges.
- Shared two Your Voice Matter submission to include Aztec Market packaging and natural, shady study spaces outside.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Tonight, at the Graduate Student Association, they will be appointing the new GSA President. They are working on an academic survey.
- The ARC received temporary occupancy and we hope to have you all tour the new ARC in November.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEMBERS:
- Margot Ermer reported that she met with the Hazing Prevention Task Force. The Good Neighbor Program and College Panhellenic Association and the other Greek Councils will be having a clean up on 10/31. Alexia (Lex-O) Oduro reported that the A.S. accommodation form is complete and will work with Jennifer and Karina to help with promotion.
- Beth Bridges reminded everyone to review the Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) Wellness Tool Kit.
- Working with the Student Support Commission to update the SDSU Resource Guide.
- Ari Weizman thanked Dr. Wood for supporting Hillel and the Chabad House. Ari reported that the Anti-Semitism Task Force has an upcoming event at Scripps Cottage on 10/13.
- If interested in the Fact Finder trip to Israel, please apply.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:19 p.m.
JACKSON/JAIN CARRIED (12-0-0)