Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, August 11, 2021 - 3:00pm
Council Chambers - Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President Ashley Tejada called the meeting to order at 3:13 p.m. PDT.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Ashley Tejada, Karina Esteban (left early), Shawki Moore, Austin Barber, Jennifer Schenkenfelder, Beth Bridges, Alexia Oduro, Ari Weizman, Margot Ermer, Dr. J. Luke Wood (left early)
- Voting Members Absent: Simran Jain, Stephen Jackson, Jessica Rentto
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Janice Dils
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Guests: Carlos Careaga, Tim Ripke, Aaron Woods, Adrian Munoz, Alex Richards, Jamie McNally, June Barreras, Deanne Fingerman
III. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda with the postponement of the Carbon Neutrality Study, Dr. Ramona Perez, Children’s Center Presentation, the Strengthfinders session with Marc Otto, and Aztec Lanes Rates.
ERMER/WEIZMAN CARRIED (9-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous meeting minutes of the July 28th ASBOD meeting.
ODURO/SCHENKENFELDER CARRIED (9-0-0)
V. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: No report.
- University President’s Designee: Dr. Luke Wood reported on the following:
- There is a University Town Hall on Tuesday, August 11 via Zoom from 1-3 p.m.
- The Restorative Practice (RP) team made their community rounds to communicate regarding social distancing, mask wearing and reminders that food should be prepackaged.
- SDSU Children’s Center Presentation - Michelle Zamora, Children’s Center Director (Time Certain 3:15 p.m.) - POSTPONED
- Viejas Arena/Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre Presentation - Tim Ripke, Viejas Arena Director (Time Certain 3:15 p.m.)
Tim Ripke and the Viejas Arena staff provided their introductions, what their roles are at the Viejas Arena and Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre. Tim provided a brief overview of events and concerts to come at the two venues.
- Aztec Culture Education Training Program Presentation - Dr. Ramona Perez, Professor of Anthropology and Director of the Center for Latin American Studies (Time Certain 3:45 p.m.) - POSTPONED
- Introduction of Marc Otto, Founder and Principal Consultant of Strength Consulting LLC - Ashley Tejada, A.S. President and Christina Brown, A.S. Executive Director (Time Certain 4:30 p.m.) - POSTPONED
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): None.
- General Consent Report (Information): None.
- Government Budget Overview - Carlos Careaga, A.S. Finance Director (Information)
Carlos reviewed the government budget.
- A.S. Reserve Update - Austin Barber, A.S. Vice President of Financial Affairs and Carlos Careaga, A.S. Finance Director (Action)
It was moved and seconded to postpone the A.S. Reserve project update and approval to the next A.S. Board of Directors meeting on August 30.
BRIDGES/ERMER TIED (2-2-2)
Ashley, as Chair, broke the tie. CARRIED (3-2-2)
- A.S. Budget Review (Time Certain 5:00 p.m.) - Carlos Careaga, A.S. Finance Director
Carlos Careaga reviewed the A.S. budget.
- SDSU Carbon Neutrality Study (Action) - Postponed until next meeting.
- Aztec Lanes Rates (Action) - Postponed until next meeting.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
Annual A.S. Staff Salary Equity Adjustment Proposals and Revised Full-Time Salary Grades (Action)
It was moved and seconded to move into closed session.
ODURO/BRIDGES CARRIED (9-0-0)
It was moved and seconded to approve A.S. staff equity adjustments.
ESTEBAN/WEIZMAN CARRIED (9-0-0)
It was moved and seconded to move out of closed session.
MOORE/BARBER CARRIED (9-0-0)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Committee: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee (FAC): None.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: None.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Ashley Tejada reported on the following:
- Met with former Chief of Staff, Max Johnson, regarding transition.
- Kole Wellenstein, A.S. Shared Governance Assistant, will start next week.
- Visited the Imperial Valley campus and met with A.S. leaders.
- The executive officers and Alexia Oduro attended the CSUnity Conference.
- Executive Vice President: Karina Esteban reported on the following:
- The A.S. Leaders Retreat is from 8/15 through 8/17.
- Vote on the Homecoming theme on the SDSU Instagram.
- A.S. Expo is on Wednesday, 8/25.
- Vice President of External Relations: Shawki Moore reported on the following:
- Working on revamping the A.S. website.
- The Rock the Vote (RTV) Leadership Team is finalizing the date of the first meeting.
The team will be tabling during residential move-in on 8/19 and 8/20.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Austin Barber reported on the following:
- The Financial Affairs Committee (FAC) is meeting on Mondays at 11:00 a.m. in the Council Chambers.
- Held one-on-one meetings with the Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) Leadership Team. Dustin Adkins will be a part of the ARH Leadership Team as an advisor.
- We received 24 applications for the Global Education scholarships and will be sent to you all for review.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Jennifer Schenkenfelder reported on the following:
- The Academic Affairs Committee is confirmed to meet on Mondays at 9:00 a.m. in the Council Chambers.
- Your Voice Matters Kick Off event will be held on Monday, 9/27.
- Reach out to me regarding any university issues.
- Still determining when the University Affairs Board (UAB) will be meeting.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Excited for the retreat.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEMBERS:
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 6:40 p.m. PDT.
WEIZMAN/BRIDGES CARRIED (7-0-0)