Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, July 28, 2021 - 3:00pm
Council Chambers - Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President Ashley Tejada called the meeting to order at 3:05 p.m. PDT.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Ashley Tejada, Karina Esteban, Shawki Moore, Austin Barber, Jennifer Schenkenfelder, Simran Jain, Alexia Oduro, Ari Weizman, Margot Ermer, Stephen Jackson
- Voting Members Absent: Beth Bridges, Jessica Rentto, Dr. J. Luke Wood
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Janice Dils
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Guests: David Gamble, Mark Zakrzewski, Patty Rea, Becky Villasenor, Mary Medley, Annette Scheid, Viviana Rodriguez, Carlos Careaga, Rosie Ramos, Stephanie Dathe
III. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA:
The “SDSU Carbon Neutrality Study (Action)” item will be postponed to the next ASBOD meeting. It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors agenda, as amended.
WEIZMAN/JACKSON CARRIED (9-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous meeting minutes of the July 12th ASBOD meeting.
ERMER/JACKSON CARRIED (9-0-0)
V. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: No report.
- University President’s Designee: No report.
- A.S. Chief of Staff Introduction - Ashley Tejada, A.S. President
Ashley introduced David Gamble, A.S. Chief of Staff for 2021-2022. David spoke about his responsibilities as Chief of Staff and prior involvement with Associated Students.
- A.S. Government & Staff Structure Presentation - Christina Brown, A.S. Executive Director
Christina reviewed the A.S. full-time staff structure and the Government structure, highlighting the four Councils and the respective boards, committees and commissions that fall under each.
- A.S. Business Services Presentation (Time Certain 4:00 p.m.) - Patty Rea, A.S. Associate Executive Director
Patty and the Business Services team provided their introductions, what their roles are in the accounting, payroll, and human resources departments.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda that includes summer 2021 minutes from the Aztec Student Union Board from June 7 through July 26.
ERMER/BARBER CARRIED (9-0-0)
- General Consent Report (Information): None.
- Aztec Recreation Center Membership Rates (Time Certain 3:30 p.m. ) - Mark Zakrzewski, Aztec Recreation Center Director (Action)
Mark Zakrzewski provided an overview of the Aztec Recreation Center membership model and reviewed the proposed rates for the ARC Expansion Membership and Day Passes.
It was moved and seconded to approve the Aztec Recreation Center Expansion Membership rates as presented, to be effective August 1, 2021.
JAIN/JACKSON CARRIED (9-0-0)
- Conrad Prebys Aztec Prebys Aztec Student Union Tour (Time Certain 4:30 p.m.) - Stephanie Dathe, Aztec Student Union Director (Information)
Stephanie Dathe provided information about the Aztec Student Union and gave a tour of the student union.
- A.S. Budget Review (Time Certain 5:00 p.m.) - Carlos Careaga, A.S. Finance Director
Carlos Careaga reviewed the A.S. budget.
- Appointment of Two (2) A.S. Board of Director Student-at-Large Members on Campus Fee Advisory Committee (CFAC) (Action)
Karina explained that the SDSU Campus Fee Advisory Committee (CFAC) ensures fees are established within the California State University (CSU) policy and it advises the SDSU President on the establishment and adjustment of fees. In addition to the five executive officers, the Committee needs two additional student seats.
It was moved and seconded to open nominations.
SCHENKENFELDER/JACKSON CARRIED (9-0-0)
It was moved and seconded to close nominations.
SCHENKENFELDER/JAIN CARRIED (9-0-0)
It was moved and seconded to approve Stephen Jackson and Alexia Oduro to sit on the Campus Fee Advisory Committee as the student-at-large representatives.
BARBER/MOORE CARRIED (9-0-0)
- SDSU Carbon Neutrality Study (Action)- Postponed until next meeting.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members) - None.
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Committee: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee (FAC): None.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: None.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Ashley Tejada reported on the following:
- The CSUnity Conference is on Sunday, 8/8 and Monday, 8/9 and will be virtual. Please let me know if you would like to attend.
- The new A.S. Shared Governance Assistant is Kole Wellenstein.
- Meeting with Dr. Randy Timm and the Co-Curricular and Student Life Implementation Tiger Team.
- Met with Graduate Student Association (GSA) President, Heriberto Vasquez.
- Will be meeting with Carlos A. Fitch, A.S. President of the SDSU Imperial Valley.
- The A.S. Councils, boards, committees and commissions will be meeting in-person this year.
- Will be holding office hours once a week during the semester.
- Executive Vice President: Karina Esteban reported on the following:
- Homecoming game will be against Nevada on November 13 in Carson, Los Angeles.
- Met with the Homecoming Steering Committee, which includes Student Life and Leadership and SDSU Athletics.
- Planning the A.S. Leaders in-person fall retreat from 8/15-8/17 and the RSVP form will be sent soon.
- Vice President of External Relations: Shawki Moore reported on the following:
- Highlighting the A.S. Values on the A.S. Instagram.
- Rock the Vote (RTV) Leadership Team interviews have been scheduled and are taking place. The final deliberations of the team will be this Friday.
- The RTV Leadership Team will be tabling at Move-In.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Austin Barber reported on the following:
- Toured the Jacobs & Cushman San Diego Food Bank.
- Conducting RTV Leadership Team interviews with Shawki and Giselle.
- Met with the Change Ambassadors to assist the my.SDSU Project Team.
- Finalized the candidate for the Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) Coordinator position.
- Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) will be October 22 through November 14.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Jennifer Schenkenfelder reported on the following:
- Been having meetings with College Council Advisors/Assistant Deans.
- Met with College Council Presidents, who are excited to get started.
- Your Voice Matters Push Week will be September 27-October 1.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- The last summer BOD meeting will be on Wednesday, August 11 and will include a Strengthfinders session with Marc Otto.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEMBERS:
Simran reported on the progress and update of the Strategic Plan Activity numbers 15-17.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 6:41 p.m. PDT.
JACKSON/ERMER CARRIED (9-0-0)