Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, July 12, 2021 - 3:00pm
Council Chambers - Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President Ashley Tejada called the meeting to order at 3:01 p.m. PDT.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Ashley Tejada, Karina Esteban, Shawki Moore, Austin Barber, Jennifer Schenkenfelder, Simran Jain, Alexia Oduro, Ari Weizman, Margot Ermer, Jessica Rentto (late), Dr. J. Luke Wood (late).
- Voting Members Absent: Beth Bridges, Stephen Jackson
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Janice Dils
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Guests: Jeff Carter, Caryl Montero Adams
III. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA:
The “SDSU Carbon Neutrality Study (Action)” item will be postponed to the next ASBOD meeting. It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors agenda, as amended.
MOORE/SCHENKENFELDER CARRIED (8-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous meeting minutes of the June 7th ASBOD meeting.
ODURO/SCHENKENFELDER CARRIED (8-0-0)
V. PUBLIC COMMENT:
I. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee:
Jessica Rentto reported on the following:
- The campus is working on repopulating as safely as possible.
- University President’s Designee:
Dr. J. Luke Wood reported on the following:
- There is a Presidential task force for honorary namings of campus buildings.
- Provided information about the Anti-Semitism Task Force in relation to the resolution Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Senate Committe.
- Student Affairs and Campus Diversity will be having an Aztec “Semester”, which is a full semester of programming for the students.
- In-Person Events and Campus Life Presentation Update (Time Certain 4:00 p.m.) - Caryl Montero Adams, Director of Student Life and Leadership
Carly Montero Adams presented an overview of the in-person events and programs that Student Affairs will be executing for the fall semester, to include three weeks of Welcome Week events, Aztec Nights campus events and SDSU Go! field trips for all SDSU students.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda that includes spring 2021 minutes from A.S. Campus Life Council and A.S. University Council.
JAIN/ERMER CARRIED (8-0-0)
- General Consent Report (Information): None.
- Update/Discussion on Anti-Semitism Taskforce - Ashley Tejada, A.S. President and Ari Weizman, ASBOD Student-at-Large
Ashley and Ari led an informative discussion about Anti-Semitism and the creation of the Anti-Semitism taskforce.
- Global Education Scholarships Fall Awards - Austin Barber, A.S. Vice President of Financial Affairs (Action)
Austin Barber gave history about the A.S. Study Abroad Scholarships, now currently referred to as Global Education Scholarships, based on the 2008 Student Fee Referendum. With the return of travel after the global pandemic, there are 13 countries that are approved for in-person travel for the fall 2021 semester.
It was moved and seconded to approve in-person and virtual global education scholarships for the fall 2021 semester.
SCHENKENFELDER/ODURO CARRIED (8-0-1)
- SDSU Carbon Neutrality Study (Action) - Postponed to the next meeting.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members) - None.
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Committee: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee (FAC): None.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: None.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Ashley Tejada reported on the following:
- Attended the Panetta Institute, which is a week-long conference for CSU A.S. Presidents.
- A.S. executive officers had introductory meetings with Business & Financial Affairs, SDSU Athletics, Aztec Shops, and Student Affairs and Campus Diversity.
- Met with Heriberto Vasquez, Graduate Student Association President.
- Attended an SDSU Enrollment meeting.
- Shared Governance Assistant interviews will be next week.
- David Gamble is the A.S. Chief of Staff for 2021-22.
- Reported the A.S. Board of Director Student-at-Large assignments on Campus Life Council and University Council.
- Executive Vice President: Karina Esteban reported on the following:
- Planning the A.S. leaders in-person fall retreat in August.
- Working on A.S. outreach, Homecoming, and the A.S. Expo for Welcome Week.
- Working on the Welcome Back video with Shawki.
- Planning for a new A.S. brochure.
- Vice President of External Relations: Shawki Moore reported on the following:
- The July Plenary for the California State Student Association (CSSA) is this weekend.
- Highlighting the A.S. Values on the A.S. Instagram.
- Rock the Vote (RTV) Leadership team applications close on July 16.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Austin Barber reported on the following:
- Aztec Rock Hunger (ARH) Leadership Team is almost filled. We had our first meeting last week.
- Meeting with Carlos Careaga, A.S. Finance Director, on a regular basis.
- Working with the Global Education Office for global education/study abroad scholarships in the fall.
- Sitting on the panel Economic Crisis Report Team (ECRT) Coordinator.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Jennifer Schenkenfelder reported on the following:
- Have contacted the College Council Presidents to schedule a one-on-one meeting prior to the start of the semester.
- Having introductory meetings with College Council Advisors.
- Working on Your Vice Matters Push Week for the fall semester.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- The next Board of Directors meeting is Wednesday, July 28, at 3:00 p.m. The last BOD meeting of the summer is Wednesday, August 11, at 3:00 p.m. and will include a Strengthfinders workshop with Marc Otto from 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEMBERS:
- Alexia announced that she and Shawki are sitting on a strategic plan task force to support black students.
- Shawki announced that the RTV Leadership Team applications are still open until Friday. Please spread the word.
- Austin announced that once the Global Education scholarship applications close, the A.S. student leaders will be asked to review the applications in August.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:30 p.m. PDT.
JAIN/BARBER CARRIED (11-0-0)