Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, June 7, 2021 - 3:00pm
Council Chambers - Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President Ashley Tejada called the meeting to order at 3:10 p.m. PDT.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Ashley Tejada, Karina Esteban, Shawki Moore, Austin Barber, Jennifer Schenkenfelder, Beth Bridges, Simran Jain, Stephen Jackson, Alexia Oduro, Ari Weizman
- Voting Members Absent: Margot Ermer, Jessica Rentto, Dr. J. Luke Wood
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Janice Dils, Giselle Luevanos
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Guests: Mark Zakrzewski
III. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors agenda.
JACKSON/BRIDGES CARRIED (9-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous meeting minutes of the first ASBOD meeting of 21/22, A.S. All Council 5/5, ASBOD Special Meeting of 5/5, and ASBOD Meeting of 5/3.
WEIZMAN/JACKSON CARRIED (9-0-0)
V. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: No report.
- University President’s Designee: No report.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- Welcome and Introduction - Ashley Tejada, A.S. President: Ashley welcomed the members to their first summer Board of Directors meeting. The ASBOD and A.S. staff members introduced themselves. Ashley led an icebreaker.
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda that included Marketing & Communications Committee minutes of 4/28/21.
JAIN/JACKSON CARRIED (9-0-0)
- General Consent Report (Information): None.
- Aztec Recreation Expansion Update (Time Certain 3:15 p.m.) - Mark Zakrzewski, Aztec Recreation Director (Information)
Mark Zakrzewski, Aztec Recreation Director, presented an overview of the Aztec Recreation department, including an update on facilities and current status of programs. Mark provided an update regarding the expansion of the Aztec Recreation Center project, to include the construction phases and reviewed membership model for non-students.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members) - None.
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Committee: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee (FAC): None.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: None.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Ashley Tejada reported on the following:
- Will meet with President Adela de la Torre and Dr. Luke Wood.
- Had a transition meeting with Aztec Shops for the Vice-Chair transition.
- Attended a meet & greet with the Business & Financial Affairs leadership team.
- Attended the Campanile Foundation meeting.
- Jeff Carter, Legal Counsel, will be doing a fiduciary duty training for the BOD in July.
- The Shared Governance Assistant position will be posted this week.
- Reviewed the BOD Resource Guide and it will be sent out to the BOD
- Executive Vice President: Karina Esteban reported on the following:
- Really excited to be here in-person with you all.
- Working on transition and training with Giselle and Veronica.
- Welcome Week in August will include an A.S. Expo, student organization and Sports Club tabling.
- Working on Homecoming.
- Met with SDSU Athletics.
- Vice President of External Relations: Shawki Moore reported on the following:
- Working on transition with Armando Sepulveda.
- Provided an update regarding the CSU Budget.
- Provided Rock the Vote updates to include the Governor recall on the ballot.
- Met with the A.S. Payroll Liaisons in regards to marketing and promotion plan of the A.S. student job opportunities.
- California State Student Association (CSSA) Plenary is this Saturday.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Austin Barber reported on the following:
- Working on transition with Victor Penera.
- Preparing for Aztecs Rock Hunger, funding and RSO banking, and the ARH Leadership Team applications.
- Working with the Global Education Office for global education/study abroad scholarships in the fall.
- Will be attending the Economic Crisis Report Team (ECRT) meetings.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Jennifer Schenkenfelder reported on the following:
- A reminder to take care and prioritize your mental health.
- Will be meeting with Joanna Brooks about supporting students in the classroom.
- Working on the Your Voice Matters initiative.
- Will have a Vice-Chair for University Affairs to assist with growing the board.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- The BOD resource guide will be sent to you.
- Provided an update regarding A.S. facilities and a COVID protocol update.
- Presented the A.S. Legacy of Leadership videos.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEMBERS:
- Beth Bridges, Student-at-Large: No report.
- Margot Ermer, Student-at-Large: No report.
- Simran Jain, Student-at-Large:
- Provided an update about Activity 15 and 17 of the Strategic Plan in regards to sustainability initiatives.
- Stephen Jackson, Student-at-Large: No report.
- Alexia Oduro, Student-at-Large: No report.
- Ari Weizman, Student-at-Large: No report.
- Austin announced that the ARH Leadership Team applications will be out soon.
- Christina announced that A.S. is hiring for student jobs. Please spread the word.
- Janice announced that the next two meetings will be July 12 and August 11.
- Beth invited the BOD members to dinner at Eureka after the meeting.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:49 p.m. PDT.
WEIZMAN/JAIN CARRIED (9-0-0)