Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, March 9, 2020 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Christian Onwuka, called the meeting to order at 3:39 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Christian Onwuka, Kyla Blaylock, George Scott, Dustin Adkins, Lee Abed, Sophie Chance, CJ Holt, Cassie Weinberg, Antonio Marquez Camacho
- Voting Members Absent: Angelica Espinoza, Stephanie Estrada, Jessica Rentto, Brittany Santos-Derieg.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown. Dr. J. Luke Wood
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Nikki Eliaschev.
- Visitors: None.
III. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 2/24/20, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: No report.
- University President’s Designee: None.
- SDSU Chief Diversity Officer and Associate Vice President for Diversity and Innovation: Dr. J. Luke Wood reported on the following:
- Gave an update on the Coronavirus and campus response.
- Piloting a system to prepare for classes that may be offered virtually.
- Larger scale events will be canceled, including Explore SDSU and all associated events.
- The Indigenous Healing Garden opening will continue as planned on Saturday, March 20th at noon.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda, as attached.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION
Closed to Non-Members
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Board: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee (FAC): Dustin reported on the following:
- A.S. departments will be presenting their spring re-budget.
- Cultural organizations and the College Councils will give 15 minute presentations at an FAC meeting about their future plans and budget requests. The deadline to sign up is tomorrow.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: None.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Christian Onwuka reported on the following:
- There was an open forum today regarding the Presidential Taskforce on Student Activities and Safety.
- The “Students at our Core” Taskforce meeting went well.
- Meeting on Wednesday in regards to the new VP of Student Affairs and Campus Diversity.
- Will be facilitating the Campus Fee Advisory Committee (CFAC) meeting and conversations in regards to hiring student media coordinators for administrative purposes.
- Executive Vice President: Kyla Blaylock reported on the following:
- GreenFest is this week! There are various events throughout the week and Young the Giant and Emotional Oranges are performing at the GreenFest Concert this Friday.
- Over 80 students were able to receive tickets to the Mountain West Conference Men’s Basketball Tournament in Las Vegas.
- Has been meeting with A.S. Student Leaders to help prepare for transition.
- Aztec Achievement Awards nominations are closed. Will be voting on the recipients this week.
- Vice President of External Relations: Kyla Blaylock reported on behalf of Angelica Espinoza:
- Is at the California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS) lobbying for bills as part of the CSU’s #fixfinancialaid campaign.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Dustin Adkins reported on the following:
- Tuition at the Children’s Center will raise in order to keep up with increasing minimum wage.
- Working on “Meal Sharing is Caring” with the Student Support Commission to raise funds for the Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT).
- Expanding marketing for the ECRT and Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) to be year round so that donors can see the impact of their donations.
- Vice President of University Affairs: George Scott reported on the following:
- The Academic Report came out last week. Working to find ways to continue outreach efforts with the changing situation due to Coronavirus.
- There is a resolution that will be presented at the UC meeting on March 18th. The vote will be the meeting after that.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following: No Report.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEMBERS
- Lee Abed, Student-At-Large:
- Bringing a Holocaust survivor to campus
- Working with Instructional Technologies (IT) to transition student email accounts from Microsoft365 to Google Suite.
- Sophie Chance, Student-At-Large:
- Serving on the Students at Our Core Strategic Plan Committee.
- College of Engineering is discussing student meal plans.
- College of Sciences had a power outage which damaged research that was being done. They are coming up with a plan to prevent this from happening in the future.
- Excited to work with Dr. Wood on World Campus.
- Stephanie Estrada, Student-At-Large: No report.
- Christian Holt, Student-At-Large:
- Student Diversity Commission (SDC) Celebration is on April 27th.
- Sex Trafficking Awareness Week is being planned for the week of April 27th. Planning an interactive art exhibit/demonstration for the event.
- Attended the Resident Advisor (RA) “Students at our Core” Strategic Planning meeting which discussed focusing resources on campus rather than on expanding the campus.
- Antonio Marquez-Camacho, Student-At-Large:
- Recently got back from the Intercollegiate Broadcast System (IBS) Awards Conference in New York. Had the chance to do some recruiting for the Daily Aztec.
- Cassie Weinberg, Student-At-Large:
- Working with GreenLove to pass the resolution and collect donations for the Swap Shop.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 4:40 pm.
APPROVED BY: Christian L. Onwuka, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Nikki Eliaschev, A.S. Government Secretary