Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, December 2, 2019 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Christian Onwuka, called the meeting to order at 3:38 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Christian Onwuka, Kyla Blaylock, George Scott, Dustin Adkins, Christian Holt, Lee Abed, Sophie Chance, Stephanie Estrada, Cassie Weinberg, Antonio Marquez-Camacho.
- Voting Members Absent: Angelica Espinoza.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Jessica Rentto, Brittany Santos-Derieg (late), Nikki Eliaschev.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Carlos Careaga, Patty Rea, Mark Zakrzewski.
III. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to make a friendly amendment to the agenda to move items C and D under Items for Consideration to items A and B.
HOLT/CHANCE CARRIED, (10-0-0)
The agenda was approved as amended.
ADKINS/BLAYLOCK CARRIED, (10-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 11/18/19, as attached.
WEINBERG/ABED CARRIED, (10-0-0)
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto reported on the following:
- Encouraged everyone to provide feedback on the five priorities for the Strategic Plan. Today is the last day to provide feedback.
- The 2021 system-wide budget is being drafted. The budget will encourage legislators to fund the CSU’s financial needs.
- Explained the Change.org petition in relation to concerns about the safety of the music building and what was done to address the petition. Working with the college to address any further concerns.
- University President’s Designee: Brittany Santos-Derieg reported on the following:
- Explained Assembly Bill 48 and how the funding could affect CSU’s if passed.
- Explained the changes that have been made to the Quantitative Reasoning Proposal. Voting is postponed until January.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda, as attached.
HOLT/BLAYLOCK CARRIED, (10-0-0)
- ARC Expansion Update (Information) – Mark Zakrzewski, Aztec Recreation Director (Time Certain 3:45pm): Reviewed the Recreation Expansion Projects presentation which included renderings of the new construction and remodeling of the existing ARC and explained the costs related to the expansion.
- Associated Students Part Time and Full Time Employee Annual Compensation Adjustment (Action) – Patty Rea, Associate Executive Director: Patty Rea reviewed the memorandum for the A.S. Staff Compensation Adjustment and explained the minimum wage increase that is occurring on January 1st, 2020 and how it will affect part-time student employees. The salary increase for full-time staff was also reviewed.
It was moved and seconded to approve the memorandum for the A.S. Staff Compensation Adjustment.
SCOTT/BLAYLOCK CARRIED, (10-0-0)
- 2019-20 A.S. Fall Re-Budget (Information) – Carlos Careaga, Finance Director: Dustin Adkins and Carlos Careaga reviewed notable changes and variances in the budget.
- Proposed Bylaw Amendments (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the following bylaw amendments:
- #BA-F19-01: College of Health and Human Services College Council
- #BA-F19-02: College of Education Student Council
- #BA-F19-03: College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts
CHANCE/ABED CARRIED, (9-0-1)
- Approval of Spring 2020 BOD and the Councils Schedule (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the A.S. Board of Directors, Campus Life Council, University Council, and Judicial Affairs Council Meetings + Activity Schedule Spring 2020.
ESTRADA/ABED CARRIED, (10-0-0)
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Board: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee (FAC): There have been several resignations in FAC due to members that will be studying abroad next semester, but membership remains strong.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: None.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Christian Onwuka reported on the following:
- Working with the Graduate Student Association (GSA) to bring forward a proposal to Aztec Student Union Board (ASUB) in regards to piloting the Goodfriend Lounge as a Graduate Student Lounge.
- Expressed thanks to everyone for the support throughout the semester.
- The Campus Fee Advisory Committee meeting had a lot of important dialogue.
- Executive Vice President: Kyla Blaylock reported on the following:
- Excited to be a part of the conversations regarding the Super Sunday Initiative, which works with faith-based organizations and lower-income areas to prepare students for success in college.
- Vice President of External Relations:
- No report.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Dustin Adkins reported on the following:
- The closing ceremony for Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) is December 9th from 12:30-1:00 pm. Will be presenting certificates to those who participated.
- Attended a Student Support Commission meeting to give an update on possible changes to the A.S. Food Pantry and to discuss ways to improve it.
- Will begin to collect data from the A.S. Food Pantry and assess it to look for ways to create a better food pantry for students.
- Vice President of University Affairs: George Scott reported on the following:
- The final student final student engagement meeting for the Aztec Recreation Center (ARC) is December 10th at 3:00 pm in Templo Mayor.
- University Affairs Board (UAB) established the four themes for the 2019-2020 A.S. Academic Report, which include: academic support, academic courses, graduation requirements, and experiential learning.
- The survey questions for the 2019-2020 A.S. Academic Report will be ready by the end of this week and will be marketed as soon as classes resume after Winter Break.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- The final meeting of the semester is a combined CLC and UC meeting and is on Wednesday is 3:30 pm. There will be a dinner afterwards.
- Reminded everyone to work on self-care and to study a lot for finals.
- Shouted-out to the Student Union staff for working hard these past two weeks and for making two large conferences successful events.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEMBERS
- Lee Abed, Student-At-Large:
- Attended the Student Media Advisory Council (SMAC) meeting. Topics of discussion included higher views for the Daily Aztec.
- Will be checking on the street lights during the break and looking at other areas of concern, such as streets with yellow lighting.
- Sophie Chance, Student-At-Large:
- Proposed that BODs meet to discuss and review the goals that were proposed at beginning of year in preparation for next semester.
- Stephanie Estrada, Student-At-Large:
- Meeting this week to solidify the proposal for the Education Opportunity Program (EOP) Scholarship for next semester.
- Working with students from the Muslim Student Association (MSA) and the Graduate Student Association (GSA) to create a video for Maintenance Workers Appreciation Day.
- Christian Holt, Student-At-Large:
- The Student Diversity Commission (SDC) mixer was an amazing event. Thanked everyone who attended.
- Residential Education Office and the Black Resource Center will be taking input for the black excellence floor today during their meeting.
- Antonio Marquez-Camacho, Student-At-Large:
- Excited to be working with students on the Leadership Summit that will happen in February.
- More than 600 students attended the MEChA conference.
- Cassie Weinberg, Student-At-Large:
- The deadline to respond to the strategic plan feedback form was extended until December 6th. Asked all members to submit feedback.
- Working on marketing strategies and creating more collaborations with different on-campus organizations for the Wellness Fest.
- Will be participating in the Factfinders program during Winter Break along with other A.S. leaders.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:27 pm.
ABED/ESTRADA CARRIED, (10-0-0)
APPROVED BY: Christian L. Onwuka, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Nikki Eliaschev, A.S. Government Secretary