Meeting Minutes
Associated Students | San Diego State University


Monday, October 21, 2019 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union

I. CALL TO ORDER

A.S. President, Christian Onwuka, called the meeting to order at 3:36 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.

II. ROLL CALL

  1. Voting Members Present: Christian Onwuka, George Scott, Kyla Blaylock (left early), Dustin Adkins, Angelica Espinoza, Antonio Marquez-Camacho, Christian Holt, Sophie Chance, Stephanie Estrada, Cassie Weinberg.
  2. Voting Members Absent: Lee Abed, Brittany Santos-Derieg, Jessica Rentto.
  3. Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Nikki Eliaschev.
  4. Non-Voting Members Absent: None. 
  5. Visitors: Ms. Margot Ermer, Carlos Careaga, Daniel Guerrero, Stephanie Dathe, Michelle Zamora, Maxwell Johnson. 

III. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA

It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
ESPINOZA/WEINBERG                                                                                              

It was moved and seconded to approve a friendly amendment to include a time certain for Margot Ermer to present Judicial Affairs Council Minutes at 5:00 pm.
BLAYLOCK/CHANCE                                                       CARRIED

The agenda was approved as amended.                                                  

IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 10/07/19, as attached.
HOLT/CHANCE                                                 CARRIED         

V. PUBLIC COMMENT

None.

VI.  UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS  

  1. Business and Financial Affairs Designee: No report.
  2. University President’s Designee: No report. 
  3. State of A.S. Presentation: 
    1. Christina Brown gave an overview of the State of A.S. presentation.
    2. Reviewed the 2018-2019 A.S.-Wide Accomplishments, and 2019-2020 goals.
    3. Stephanie reviewed updates, areas of success, and goals and accomplishments for the Student Union.
    4. Reviewed last year’s accomplishments for the Children’s Center and Viejas Arena and current goals for both of these facilities. 

VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION

  1. General Consent Agenda: It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda, as attached.
    ESPINOZA/SCOTT                                        CARRIED
  2. General Consent Report: The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.
  3. 2018-2019 SDSU Children’s Center Audit (Information):
    1. Reviewed the audit report. 
    2. Explained the requirements for the Children’s Center to receive federal funding.
    3. Reviewed the significance of the audit.

VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)

None.

IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS  

  1. Audit Committee: None. 
  2. Facilities Board: None.
  3. Financial Affairs Committee:
    1. Funding for the Jewelry Student Co-Op was approved.
  4. Marketing and Communications Committee: None.

X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS                                      

  1. President: Christian Onwuka reported on the following: 
    1. Student Conversations with the President went well. There were conversations about student representation on campus and Take Back the Week.
    2. Met with Dr. Twayigize about an event in regards to highlighting African leaders and their impact on the American lifestyle.
    3. Spoke at the National Day Against Police Brutality.
    4. Serving on the Honorary Degree Advisory Committee.
    5. Met with graduate student representatives to discuss graduate student representation in A.S. and campus involvement.
    6. Attending the 20th anniversary of the Campanile Foundation celebration this Thursday.
    7. Serving on the mission and vision working groups for the Strategic Plan. 
  2. Executive Vice President: Kyla Blaylock reported on the following: 
    1. Will be attending a Residence Hall Association (RHA) meeting to speak about Homecoming and drop-off promotional items. 
    2. Homecoming is two weeks away and the final steering committee meeting is this week.
    3. Met with the Pride Center to discuss the OneSDSU event that is happening during Homecoming. Is thrilled that the Pride Center is involved.
    4. Presented about A.S. to a class of first-year students and will be speaking at another class next week.
    5. Attended the City Council meeting last week. Thanked everyone who attended.
    6. The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion institute is on Friday. Josh, Aubrey, Christian, Kyla, Christina, Patty, and Jen will be working on the A.S. Inclusion Statement. 
    7. Aztecs for Life blood drive is on November 19th. 
  3. Vice President of External Relations: Angelica Espinoza reported on the following: 
    1. Shouted out members who attended the Indigenous Peoples Rally last week and encouraged everyone to show solidarity to underrepresented groups on campus.
    2. Last week was the first ever Black Gay Pride Week. Happy that San Diego is showing love to this community.
    3. RTV has reached 20% of its goal of 2,020 voter registrations.
    4. Met with KPBS on Monday to discuss a non-partisan candidate guide to help young voters.
    5. Working on a partnership with RTV and the Know Your Rights campaign. 
    6. Working with Giselle Luevanos on creating tailored marketing and messages for future A.S. elections. 
    7. Presidential Debate watch party is on November 20th from 5:00 – 7:00 pm. 
    8. CSSA Fresno was this weekend.
    9. Recommended three SDSU students to be nominated to the Student Trustee Committee.
    10. The Water We Share/El Agua Que Compartimos Binational Conference will be November 25-26. Soliciting art projects that reflect border student’s experiences.
    11. Excited to help students through the Data Analytics Cohort.
  4. Vice President of Financial Affairs: Dustin Adkins reported on the following:
    1. Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) kicked off on Friday.
    2. There is an ARH fundraiser at Corbin’s Q tonight.
    3. Press conference for ARH is tomorrow in the courtyard.
    4. Looking for volunteers for ARH. 
    5. Shouted-out Angie for being the 1st donor to ARH and currently the highest bid.
    6. Met with the new Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) coordinator and intern to discuss ECRT’s vision and goals. 
    7. A.S. Food Pantry will be tabling on October 3rd and November 20th. 
  5. Vice President of University Affairs: George Scott reported on the following: 
    1. Academic Affairs Committee (AAC) is discussing “what outreach looks like” to make sure that the people who are not at meetings are represented. 
    2. AAC and the University Affairs Board (UAB) are working on the 2019-2020 A.S. Academic Report to identify classes that are hindering students from graduating. 
    3. Planning a joint-college event for the spring. 
    4. Gave an update about the Graduation Initiative 2025 and reviewed major presentations from the event.
  6. Executive Director:
    1. No report.

XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEMBERS

  1. Lee Abed, Student-At-Large: No report.
  2. Sophie Chance, Student-At-Large:
    1. Creating a feedback form for the co-op program to get a sense of students’ feelings towards it.
    2. Meeting with professors who require internships or working with companies as part of their classes’ curriculum for the co-op program.
  3. Stephanie Estrada, Student-At-Large:
    1. Drafting the statements for the two awards that will be presented at the 50th anniversary of EOP.
    2. Human Rights Day is October 28th at 4:00 pm.
    3. Drafting a proposal for the A.S. scholarship. 
    4. Looking for a graduate student to be a part of the Student Data Analytics Program. 
    5. Spoke about her experience at the Graduation Initiative 2025 symposium and major takeaways.
    6. Planning a maintenance workers event. 
  4. Christian Holt, Student-At-Large: 
    1. CLC Office Hours are bi-weekly from 1:00 – 2:00 pm beginning on October 30th.
    2. Filmed the CFAC video this morning.
    3. Collaborating with Aubrey Benito and Josh Purificacion on a student organization mixer.
    4. Suggested that A.S. Leaders review the RSO webpage and how to navigate major campus resource systems. 
  5. Antonio Marquez-Camacho, Student-At-Large:
    1. Attended the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk with the Community Service Commission. 
    2. Presenting at the MEChA conference on November 9th. The topic is coming out twice.
  6. Cassie Weinberg, Student-At-Large:
    1. Collaborating with Dr. Jen Rikard to create an All Council Training for next semester surrounding topics of mental health and ways to bring mental health programs to student leaders. 
    2. Working on Mental Health Day which is set to happen in February. 
    3. Working to create an e-coalition with the “green orgs”.
    4. Leading Swap Shop this year. 

XII. ADJOURNMENT

It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:58 pm. 
ADKINS/HOLT                                                           CARRIED

APPROVED BY: Christian L. Onwuka, A.S. President

PREPARED BY: Nikki Eliaschev, A.S. Government Secretary