Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, July 22, 2019 - 3:00pm
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Christian Onwuka, called the meeting to order at 3:04 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Christian Onwuka, Kyla Blaylock, George Scott, Dustin Adkins, Angelica Espinoza, Antonio Marquez-Camacho, Lee Abed, Sophie Chance (FaceTime), Christian Holt, Stephanie Estrada, Cassie Weinberg.
- Voting Members Absent: Lee Abed, Brittany Santos-Derieg, Jessica Rentto
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Dr. J. Luke Wood.
- Visitors: Jeff Carter, Agnes Wong-Nickerson, Crystal Little, Patty Rea, Raven Tyson.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
There was a friendly amendment to table Items for Consideration C. Travel Funding Request to the next Board of Directors meeting. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 6/24/19, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: No report.
- University President’s Designee: No report.
- Update of A.S. Summer Operations - Christina Brown, A.S. Executive Director: Christina Brown provided an update on A.S. facility operations during the summer.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): None.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent reported was reviewed, as attached..
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
It was moved and seconded to move into closed session.
- Claims Review (Information) – Patty Rea, Associate Executive Director & Raven Tyson, Human Resources Assistant Director (Time Certain 3:45 pm)
Patty and Raven reviewed the claims and answered questions from members.
It was moved and seconded to move out of closed session.
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Board: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee (FAC): None.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: None.
X. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Lee Abed, Student-At-Large: None.
- Sophie Chance, Student-At-Large: None.
- Stephanie Estrada, Student-At-Large: None.
- Christian Holt, Student-At-Large:
- Will continue to work on his project to inform students of on-campus organizations and allow collaboration.
- Antonio Marquez-Camacho, Student-At-Large: None.
- Cassie Weinberg, Student-At-Large:
- Attended the California Higher Education Sustainability Commission Conference. She will look into implementing some of the programs discussed at the conference.
- Serving on the ElevateSD campaign with Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) to improve MTS connections for SDSU students.
- There will be a clean-up at Fiesta Island with the Mayor’s office to raise money for school supplies.
XI. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Christian Onwuka reported on the following:
- Congratulations to Chris Lee, A.S. Chief Justice, and Max Johnson, Chief of Staff!
- Thankful for his opportunity to speak at Dr. Sandra Cook’s Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, retirement event.
- Tabling this week has been a success.
- Attended the SDSU University Senior Leadership Retreat with Christina and Cassie, Graduate Student Association President.
- The A.S. officers attended the Gathering of Elders.
- There will continue to be meetings with the University Strategic Planning Committee.
- Attended California State Student Association (CSSA) in Long Beach this weekend.
- Will serve on the Ed Trust West committee.
- Will share their goals for the academic year at the next Board of Directors meeting.
- There will be an open forum for the Mission Valley site on Saturday from 9-11 am in Templo Mayor.
- Executive Vice President: Kyla Blaylock reported on the following:
- The Info Fairs have been a success.
- Will continue to plan Homecoming.
- Met with Dr. Andrea Dooley regarding mental health to help students understand the importance of self-care.
- Aztec Student Union Board has completed their Fall program planning.
- Reminded members to fill out their forms for retreat.
- Vice President of External Relations: Angelica Espinoza reported on the following:
- Grateful for the presence of A.S. leaders at the Pride flag raising ceremony and the San Diego Pride Parade.
- Gave an update on the CSSA, Long Beach at the Chancellor’s Office to establish goals. Congratulations to Angie on being elected the Chair of the Student Trustee Committee.
- There will be a brochure created for the Good Neighbor program to foster connections with the community.
- There will be a celebration of the Women’s Studies program for 50 years at SDSU, the first in the nation.
- Will work with Cynthia Torres to learn ways A.S can help undocumented students.
- Gave an update on the “Rock the Vote” campaign. A new logo will be finalized.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Dustin Adkins reported on the following:
- Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) will take place from October 18-November 10. They worked with Pierce Education Properties, management of local student apartments, to provide bins in BLVD63. The ARH logo will be update to focus on people and the community.
- Gave an update on the Peer Literacy program.
- Financial Affairs Committee applications are now open.
- Will continue to on an affordable parking system.
- Will review Dance Marathon travel request next meeting.
- Vice President of University Affairs: George Scott reported on the following:
- Gave an update on the “Your Voice Matters” program.
- Aztec Recreation will have their first student engagement meeting this Thursday to model the interior designs. There will be a follow-up meeting on August 6.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- She gave an update on the Associate Director of Marketing and Communications vacancy.
- Gave an update on the A.S. restructure.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:37 pm.
APPROVED BY: Christian L. Onwuka, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary