Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, June 24, 2019 - 3:00pm
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Christian Onwuka, called the meeting to order at 3:04 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Christian Onwuka, Kyla Blaylock, George Scott, Dustin Adkins, Angelica Espinoza, Antonio Marquez-Camacho, Lee Abed, Sophie Chance (FaceTime), Christian Holt, Stephanie Estrada, Cassie Weinberg, Jessica Rentto (left early).
- Voting Members Absent: Brittany Santos-Derieg.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Dr. J. Luke Wood.
- Visitors: Patty Rea
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 5/01/19, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Welcome and Introductions: Christian welcomed the members of the Board of Directors and gave an overview of the Board of Directors. Members introduced themselves.
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto reported on the following:
- Introduced her role as the Business and Financial Affairs Designee.
- Gave an update on the audit conducted by the California State Auditors related to Parking Facilities. The University has invested in alternative transportation system. She explained the purpose of reserves and the need for institutions to have a four to six month reserve in the case of a government shutdown. She welcomed questions about the audit and encouraged members to read the audit and response the Chancellor issued. There will be opportunities for future discussions.
- University President’s Designee: No report.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): None.
- General Consent Report (Information): None.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
Annual A.S. Full-time Staff Salary Equity Adjustments and Full-time Staff Organizational Structure Adjustments- Christina Brown, Executive Director and Patty Rea, Associate Executive Director (Action) (Time Certain 4 pm)
It was moved and seconded to move into closed session.
It was moved and seconded to approve the Annual A.S. Full-time Staff Salary Equity Adjustments and Full-time Staff Organizational Structure Adjustments.
It was moved and seconded to move out of closed session.
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Board: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee (FAC): None.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: None.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Christian Onwuka reported on the following:
- Attended Panetta conference with other CSU A.S. Presidents.
- Summer Enrollment has an increase of 6%.
- Met with President Adela de la Torre to discuss goals.
- Serving on the Aztec Shops Board of Directors.
- There will be a University Senior Leadership Retreat on July 9.
- Will serve on the Strategic Planning Committee. Subcommittees will be created and we will be placing students on the subcommittees.
- Executive Vice President: Kyla Blaylock reported on the following:
- New Student Orientations will begin July 12 and end mid-August. There will be a form created to communicate with new students and inform them of events.
- Will continue planning for retreat.
- Gave an update on the meeting with Parking and Transportation Services to discuss the efficiency of the Red and Black Shuttle.
- Encouraged members to attend the SDSU Pride Flag Raising event on July 11 at 12 pm by the flagpole.
- San Diego Pride Parade will take place on July 13 at 10 am.
- Vice President of External Relations: Angelica Espinoza reported on the following:
- Gave an update on the Rock the Vote planning. There will be ten events focused on education of propositions, legislation, and candidates.
- Will create a “Know Your Rights” campaign.
- Will work with student councils and community areas to build stronger connections.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Dustin Adkins reported on the following:
- Aztecs Rock Hunger will contact other universities for ideas to help expand the campaign.
- Will work with Stephanie Galia to establish the “Financial Peer Literacy” program.
- July 1 marks the first day of the new fiscal year.
- Vice President of University Affairs: George Scott reported on the following:
- Shared “The Power of Conversation” initiative with members.
- The “Your Voice Matters” campaign will address student concerns around campus. There will be a promotional video designed. Open forums will be hosted.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Will discuss the Board of Directors Student-at-Large roles in future meetings.
- Feel free to reach out to Christina with questions and concerns.
- There will be a groundbreaking for the ARC early-August.
- The lights are ready and working on the ENS Field.
- The ENS Field Celebration and Grand Opening will be in September.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Lee Abed, Student-At-Large:
- Will work with board members to plan “Dinner with Six Strangers”.
- Sophie Chance, Student-At-Large:
- She will look into implementing a co-op program at SDSU.
- Stephanie Estrada, Student-At-Large: None.
- Christian Holt, Student-At-Large: None.
- Antonio Marquez-Camacho, Student-At-Large: None.
- Cassie Weinberg, Student-At-Large:
- Will create a Mental Health survey to distribute at the University Council and Campus Life Council meetings to assess student leaders’ mental health and create self-care practices for them.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:36 pm.
APPROVED BY: Christian Onwuka, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary