Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, April 8, 2019 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Chris Thomas, called the meeting to order at 3:40 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chris Thomas, Nickolas Wohlman, Christian Onwuka, Ronnie Cravens, Michael Wiafe, Chloe Sabio, Tomi Osinfolarin, Warsan Artan, Latrel Powell.
- Voting Members Absent: Cat Kricorian, Beck Svensson, Brittany Santos-Derig, Jessica Rentto.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Dr. J. Luke Wood.
- Visitors: Carlos Careaga, Dr. Ramona Perez, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 3/25/19, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- The Healing Garden Presentation - Dr. Ramona Perez, Professor of Latin American Studies (Time Certain 3:45pm): Dr. Ramona Perez presented the progress of the healing garden and the mural that will be created. There have been many groups included and involved in the discussion.
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: No report.
- University President’s Designee: No report.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to the approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.
- 2018 990 Tax Review - Carlos Careaga, Fiannce Director (Information): Carlos reviewed the Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax.
- Proposed Bylaw and Charter Amendments (Information): Jen reviewed the proposed bylaw and charter amendments, as attached.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Board: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee (FAC): There will be old members leaving and new members joining FAC.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: None.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Chris Thomas reported on the following:
- Dr. Hector Ochoa has been selected as the Provost. His tenure will begin on July 2.
- The Investiture for President Adela de la Torre will take place on Thursday from 2-4 pm. There will be a community reception on Campanile Walkway following the investiture.
- Reviewed the transition documents.
- Applications for appointed seats are due April 18 at 4:00 pm. Selections will be presented to the Board of Directors on April 29.
- Executive Vice President: Nickolas Wohlman reported on the following:
- There will be a #NotSilentBecause event on Tuesday, April 9 from 5-7 pm in the Aztec Student Union Theatre with guest speaker Trisha Amada and a panel of University staff discussing services and resources. He reviewed the Take Back the Week events.
- Aztec Achievement Awards will take place Thursday, April 25 from 5-7 pm.
- Vice President of External Relations: Michael Wiafe reported on the following:
- Gave an update on the legislative bills.
- There will be a letter writing event during Mental Health Week.
- Will attend California State Student Association (CSSA) this weekend.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Christian Onwuka reported on the following:
- Completed budget deliberations. The graduate student travel fund and high school conferences funding has been increased.
- Completed the scripts to market A.S. funding.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Ronnie Cravens reported on the following:
- Met with Nick to discuss Mental Health Week. The collaboration event will take place on Tuesday, April 16 in Montezuma Hall from 5-7 pm with representatives from different resources on-campus.
- Met with Dr. Radmilla, who encouraged students to enroll in the summer.
- Gave a tour of SDSU to his mentor’s children.
- Encouraged members to attend the #NotSilentBecause event tomorrow.
- Will meet with Dr. Cook this week.
- Will continue to plan for “Clash of the Colleges”
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Will work on transition documents for new student leaders.
- Met with Aztec Shops and Stephanie Dathe for Aztec No Waste.
- Congratulations to the five recently hired full-time A.S. staff.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Warsan Artan, Student-At-Large:
- Women-only ARC class has been a success.
- There will be a custodial appreciation event on Wednesday, April 10. Lunch will begin at 12 pm and dinner will begin at 8 pm in the AMC classroom.
- Cat Kricorian, Student-At-Large: None.
- Tomi Osinfolarin, Student-At-Large:
- The last Student Media Advisory Committee meeting will take place tomorrow at 8:30 am.
- Gradfest will return to the three-day model next year instead of two days.
- Chloe Sabio, Student-At-Large:
- The Tijuana Homebuild project raised $12,000. The build trip will take place on April 27-28.
- There will be an “All Centers Banquet” on May 1 at the Black Resource Center (BRC) from 5-6:30 pm.
- Green Love is looking for more volunteers to help with the Swap Shop.
- Will collaborate with the Environmental Justice Coalition for sustainable awareness month.
- Student Support Commission will vote on the Swipe Out Hunger Resolution tomorrow at 11 am in the State Suite.
- Beck Svensson, Student-At-Large: None.
- Latrel Powell, Student-At-Large: None.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:30 pm.
APPROVED BY: Christopher A. Thomas , A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary