Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, March 25, 2019 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Chris Thomas, called the meeting to order at 3:41 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chris Thomas, Nickolas Wohlman, Christian Onwuka, Ronnie Cravens, Cat Kricorian, Tomi Osinfolarin, Warsan Artan, Latrel Powell, Jessica Rentto.
- Voting Members Absent: Michael Wiafe, Chloe Sabio, Beck Svensson, Brittany Santos-Derieg.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Dr. J. Luke Wood.
- Visitors: Janmae Pagador, Dr. Andrea Dooley.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting, with the addition of a 5pm time certain for adjournment. There were no objections. The agenda was approved as amended.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 3/11/19, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Shared Governance Presentation - Dr. Andrea Dooley, Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Chris Thomas (Time Certain 3:45pm):
Chris Thomas and Dr. Andrea Dooley explained shared governance to build trust across campus. More information can be found through the Office of the President website. They discussed how to increase participation in the conversation of shared governance among faculty, staff, and students.
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto reported on the following:
- The Professional Studies and Fine Arts building will be closed due to concerns over the roof patching project. The project reopening of the building will be April 8. A consulting firm will be hired to monitor air vapor quality.
- University President’s Designee: Dr. J. Luke Wood reported on the following:
- The strategic planning process will focus on capacity building to reach out to different communities. Ameritas, a consulting firm, will help facilitate the process.
- Gave an update on the admissions clusters compacts. There will be a holistic review of admissions applications.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to the approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
It was moved and seconded to open the closed session.
- Review Draft of the Annual Evaluation of the Executive Director - Chris Thomas (Information): Chris reviewed the draft of the annual evaluation of the Executive Director.
It was moved and seconded to close the closed session.
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Board: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee (FAC): None.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: Will continue to spirit cart during A.S. Elections.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Chris Thomas reported on the following: None.
- Executive Vice President: Nickolas Wohlman reported on the following: None.
- Vice President of External Relations: Michael Wiafe reported on the following: None.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Christian Onwuka reported on the following: None.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Ronnie Cravens reported on the following: None.
- Executive Director: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker (for Christina Brown) reported on the following: None.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Warsan Artan, Student-At-Large:
- The women-only fitness class began last week.
- Will be involved in the discussion of the sanitation staff.
- Grateful for the "Standing Up Against Hate" rally today!
- Cat Kricorian, Student-At-Large:
- Emailed chairs and representatives to begin scripts for videos to market Associated Students.
- Tomi Osinfolarin, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- The General Manager for KCR and the Editor-in-Chief for the Daily Aztec have been selected.
- Chloe Sabio, Student-At-Large: None.
- Beck Svensson, Student-At-Large: None.
- Latrel Powell, Student-At-Large
- Gave an update on the California State Student Association (CSSA) legislative actions.
- Congratulations to Latrel on his acceptance to the UCLA Law School!
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:02 pm.
APPROVED BY: Christopher A. Thomas , A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary