Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, March 11, 2019 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Chris Thomas, called the meeting to order at 3:53 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chris Thomas, Nickolas Wohlman, Christian Onwuka (late), Ronnie Cravens, Chloe Sabio (late), Beck Svensson (FaceTime), Cat Kricorian, Tomi Osinfolarin, Brittany Santos-Derig.
- Voting Members Absent: Michael Wiafe, Warsan Artan, Latrel Powell, Jessica Rentto, Dr. J. Luke Wood.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Rayanne Williams, Liz Gancedo.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 2/25/19, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Enrollment Services Updates – Rayanne Williams, Registrar (Time Certain 3:45 pm):
Rayanne gave an update on enrollment services and explained the waitlist process to members.
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: No report.
- University President’s Designee: Brittany Santos-Derig reported on the following:
- Dr. Wood will create a taskforce to provide a strategic planning process for the Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI).
- Gave an update on the vacant position for the Associate Vice President for International Affairs and discussed the international experience for SDSU students.
- There are four provost candidates who will present tomorrow. There will be an open forum for each candidate to present.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to the approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Board: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee (FAC): None.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: None.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Chris Thomas reported on the following:
- There were four candidates selected by the provost search committee. The first candidate will present on Wednesday from 1:30-2:15 pm for Associated Student leaders. There will be an open forum tomorrow.
- Attend Lobbyday with President de la Torre and Stephen Welter, Vice President of Research and Graduate Dean. There are 18 students representing SDSU at California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS).
- He will be in Washington D.C. on March 26-27 for Hill Day to meet with legislators.
- Election results will be announced on March 28th.
- Clark Construction will be contracted for the construction of the Mission Valley Stadium.
- Executive Vice President: Nickolas Wohlman reported on the following:
- The deadlines to submit nominations to the Awards Committee is March 15 at 11:59 pm.
- Gave an update on Mental Health Week.
- Greenfest is this week. Encouraged members to attend events.
- Will meet with the Dean Nail from the Fowler College of Business.
- Vice President of External Relations: Michael Wiafe reported on the following: None.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Christian Onwuka reported on the following:
- Meeting with cultural Recognized Student Organizations (RSO’s). There will be budget hearings on Thursday and Friday for student organizations receiving funding through Associations.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Ronnie Cravens reported on the following:
- The graphic for the “Clash of the Colleges” has been completed.
- Will meet with a prospective student from Kansas City tomorrow.
- Working on the “Your Voice Matters” campaign.
- Executive Director: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker (for Christina Brown) reported on the following:
- Christina is attending the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA) until Wednesday. She is there will Stephanie Galia and Brianna Douglas, who will present on the Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT).
- Open campaigns begin on Friday at 4:30 pm. Presidential candidate debates will take place next Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday at 12 pm in the Courtyard. Multi-page advertisements will be in the Daily Aztec on March 20 for all candidates.
- An outside vendor will be utilized for the ballot order.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Warsan Artan, Student-At-Large: None.
- Cat Kricorian, Student-At-Large reported on the following: None.
- Tomi Osinfolarin, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- The last women’s basketball game was yesterday. He will continue to support and encourage attendance at the women’s basketball games.
- Congratulations to Tomi for being selected as the winner for the dessert at the inauguration of President Adele de la Torre!
- Chloe Sabio, Student-At-Large:
- She has been meeting with students interested in A.S.
- There will be TJHB reveal party on Thursday at 7 pm in the Granada Suite.
- Beck Svensson, Student-At-Large: None.
- Latrel Powell, Student-At-Large reported on the following: None.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:10 pm.
ONWUKA/KRICORIAN CARRIED, (7-0-1)
APPROVED BY: Christopher A. Thomas , A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary