Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, February 11, 2019 - 3:00pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Chris Thomas, called the meeting to order at 3:36 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chris Thomas, Nickolas Wohlman, Michael Wiafe, Christian Onwuka, Warsan Artan, Chloe Sabio, Cat Kricorian (late), Tomi Osinfolarin, Latrel Powell (late), Brittany Santos-Derig Jessica Rentto.
- Voting Members Absent: Ronnie Cravens, Beck Svensson.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Dr. J. Luke Wood.
- Visitors: Michelle Harrison, Ernest Lagdameo, Chris Lee, Patty Rea, Raven Tyson.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 1/28/19, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
- Michelle Harrison and Ernest Lagdameo, from the Asian American Pacific Islander Coalition, discussed increased collaboration with Associated Students. They would like to build stronger relations.
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto reported on the following:
- Gave an update on the Mission Valley environmental impact report. Please contribute input and comments before February 19.
- Discussed funding of the CSU system.
- University President's Designee: Brittany Santos-Derig reported on the following:
- SDSU will welcome four individuals to receiver honorary doctorates: Sally Roush from the College of Business, Father Joe Carroll, from the College of Health and Human Services, Kit Sickels, from the College of Education, and Ellen Ochoa, from the College of Sciences.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to the approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
It was moved and seconded to move into closed session.
- A.S. Claims Review (Information): Patty Rea, Associate Executive Director and Raven Tyson, HR & Risk Manager (Time Certain 4:30): Patty and Raven reviewed the A.S. Claims Report.
It was moved and seconded to move out of closed session.
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Board: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee: Excited for members on the FAC board.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: None.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Chris Thomas reported on the following:
- Gave an update on Aztecs Shops. Plant Power will be replacing The Den. Halal Shack will be on-campus in place of Dickey’s. Everbowl is now open in South Campus Plaza.
- The Provost Search Committee received 79 applications. There will be a meeting this Wednesday.
- Explained the purpose of the Year of Heart and the plan in spring 2019 to have an expansive heart-led listening tour to reach out to student organizations and centers to visit students and hear their concerns.
- Executive Vice President: Nickolas Wohlman reported on the following:
- Gave an update on the Aztecs Achievement Awards.
- The GreenFest artist will be announced this Friday. Tickets will be on sale on Monday.
- Vice President of External Relations: Michael Wiafe reported on the following:
- Will be in San Francisco this weekend for California State Student Association (CSSA).
- Will meet with Ed Trust and Latrel.
- Gave an update on the Student Analytics research team.
- There will be interviews for California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS). There were 26 applications received.
- Will work on the “Compassionate Leadership” podcast on March 4.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Christian Onwuka reported on the following:
- Gave an update on the high school conferences.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Ronnie Cravens reported on the following: No report.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Met with Brianna Douglas, the Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) Coordinator, to discuss possible improvements.
- Chris, Christian, Carlos Careaga, and herself presented the A.S. budget to President Adela de la Torre.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Warsan Artan, Student-At-Large:
- Will present at Recreation and Wellness Committee to discuss the plan to pilot the women-only hours program in the ARC Express this semester. Will work on Marketing and advertising.
- Cat Kricorian, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Will continue to work on marketing videos.
- Tomi Osinfolarin, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- The first Student Media Advisory Committee will take place Tuesday at 8:30 am.
- Will plan the SDSU Blood Drive. The location is to be determined.
- Chloe Sabio, Student-At-Large:
- Will work on expanding the budget for high school conferences.
- Gave an update on the need to raise funds for the Tijuana HomeBuild.
- Beck Svensson, Student-At-Large: None.
- Latrel Powell, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Gave an update on his visit to Sacramento.
- Will attend CSSA next week to hold a press event to build awareness about financial aid.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:27 pm.
APPROVED BY: Christopher A. Thomas , A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary