Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, January 28, 2019 - 3:00pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Chris Thomas, called the meeting to order at 3:36 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chris Thomas, Nickolas Wohlman, Ronnie Cravens, Michael Wiafe (late), Christian Onwuka, Warsan Artan, Cat Kricorian, Tomi Osinfolarin, Latrel Powell.
- Voting Members Absent: Beck Svensson, Chloe Sabio, Brittany Santos-Derig, Jessica Rentto.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Dr. J. Luke Wood, Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Mark Zakrzewski, Patty Rea.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Introductions and Looking Back and Looking Ahead: Members introduced themselves and discussed goals accomplished last semester and goals for the upcoming semester.
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: No report.
- University President's Designee: Brittany Santos-Derig reported on the following:
- Discussed the expansion of the Imperial Valley campus for resources to the students and faculty. They will add two new four-year degree programs.
- Gave an update on the campus safety and emergency preparedness across campus.
- There is a search for a Chief Information Officer (CIO).
- There is a Provost search and searches for the Deans of Engineering, Professional Studies and Fine Arts, and the Library.
- Explained the brand identity for SDSU.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- ARC Expansion and ENS Field Update (Information) (Time Certain 4:00 PM): Chris Thomas, A.S. President, and Mark Zakrezewski, Director of Recreation, presented on the ARC Expansion and gave an update on the ENS Field project.
- 360 Feedback and Annual Evaluation of the Executive Director (Information) (Time Certain 4:30 PM): Patty Rea, Associate Executive Director, explained the process for annual evaluation of the A.S. Executive Director.
- General Consent Agenda (Action): None.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Board: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee: None.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: None.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Chris Thomas reported on the following:
- SDSU is 9th in the nation for most application received with a number of 94,212 applications received.
- There will be University Council meeting this week.
- Will attend the Los Angeles Regional Council to speak on student innovation this Wednesday.
- Executive Vice President: Nickolas Wohlman reported on the following:
- Aztecs Achievement Awards (AAA) will have its first meeting tomorrow at 2 pm in the Government Affairs conference room.
- Mental Health Week (MHW) will confirm locations during their next meeting. MHW will take place April 15-19.
- Vice President of External Relations: Michael Wiafe reported on the following:
- California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS) applications are due February 10.
- Gave an update on External Relations Board.
- Will attend University of California, Riverside this weekend for the CSU Student Success Analytics Kick-off.
- College Area Community Council (CACC) will determine a new meeting time.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Christian Onwuka reported on the following:
- Gave an update on the budget hearing for cultural organizations. The preliminary meetings were informational for the organizations.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Ronnie Cravens reported on the following:
- Will meet with University Council representatives.
- Gave an update on the Clash of the Colleges.
- Will meet with Ryan Du to discuss the Your Voice Matters campaign.
- University Affairs Board will meet Friday at 11 am.
- Will meet with the International Student Center on Friday at 12 pm.
- Academic Affairs Committee will have its first meeting next Monday, February 4 in the Visionary Suite at 12 pm.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Gave an update on the CSSA at SDSU and expressed her appreciation for the students.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Warsan Artan, Student-At-Large: None.
- Cat Kricorian, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Will continue to work on marketing videos.
- Tomi Osinfolarin, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Retreat was a spark for upcoming semester projects!
- Chloe Sabio, Student-At-Large: None.
- Beck Svensson, Student-At-Large: None.
- Latrel Powell, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Gave an update on the CSSA Financial Aid Reform Advocacy Campaign. He explained the allocation of the $562 million for student needs.
- Will go to Sacromento next week.
- Lobby Corps will meet with Assemblymember Shirley Weber on Thursday from 1-2 pm.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:29pm.
POWELL/OSINFOLARIN CARRIED (4-0-1)
APPROVED BY: Christopher A. Thomas , A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary