Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, December 3, 2018 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Chris Thomas, called the meeting to order at 3:43 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chris Thomas, Nickolas Wohlman, Ronnie Cravens, Michael Wiafe (late), Christian Onwuka, Warsan Artan, Cat Kricorian, Tomi Osinfolarin (left early), Chloe Sabio (left early).
- Voting Members Absent: Jessica Rentto, Beck Svensson, Latrel Powell.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Dr. Randy Timm, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker for Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Carlos Careaga, Patty Rea, Katrina Mogannam, Chris Lee, Angie Espinoza, Josephine Chu, Tiana Loving, Ubaldo Martinez.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
There was a friendly amendment to separate and review Item E. Spring Elections 2019 in Judicial Affairs Council December 3, 2018 minutes as part of the approval of the agenda of Spring 2019 A.S. Board of Directors and Council meeting schedule. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 12/03/18, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto report on the following:
- There will be meetings regarding campus safety in the coming weeks and A.S. leaders will be invited.
- There will be a faculty and staff holiday event on Thursday from 10:00-11:30 am in Montezuma Hall. There will be a week long gift drive. She invited student leaders to attend.
- University President’s Designee: No report.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.
- Associated Students Employee Compensation (Action): Patty Rea, Associate Executive Director, presented the proposal of part-time employee wage increases/revised Part-Time Pay Rate Schedule in response to January 1, 2019 minimum wage increase, and proposal of annual full-time salary and wages increase.
It was moved and seconded to approve the Associated Students Employee Compensation memo, as attached.
- Approval of Spring 2019 AS BOD and Councils meeting schedule (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the Spring 2019 AS BOD and Councils meeting schedule, including the Spring 2019 Elections dates.
There was a friendly amendment to change the A.S. Elections voting dates from March 11-4 to March 25-28. There were no objections.
The schedule was approved as amended. CARRIED
- Approval of Proposed Bylaw Amendments (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the Proposed Bylaw Amendments, as attached.
- BA-FA18-01 Elections Code
- BA-FA18-02 College of Arts and Letters College Council Charter
- BA-FA18-03 College of Business Council Charter
- BA-FA18-04 College of Health and Human Services College Council Charter
- BA-FA18-05 Aztec Student Union Board Charter
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Board: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee (FAC): FAC is doing well!
- Marketing and Communications Committee: None.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Chris Thomas reported on the following:
- There will be an All-Council meeting Wednesday at 3:30-5:00 pm followed by a Holiday dinner from 5-7 pm.
- There will be a basketball game against University of San Diego at 7 pm.
- Gave an update on the University Information Technology (IT) structure.
- Applications are now being accepted for the University Chief Information Officer (CIO) position.
- Executive Vice President: Nickolas Wohlman reported on the following:
- Discussed the Aztecs Achievement Awards (AAA) plan.
- Vice President of External Relations: Michael Wiafe reported on the following:
- Michael is the student lead for the California State Student Association (CSSA) Analytics Team.
- Will attend the Keeping the Dream Alive conference, tomorrow, which focuses issues related to Dreamers.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Christian Onwuka reported on the following:
- Gave an update on the Student Success Fee (SSF).
- Students can receive up to $700 for travel funds from A.S.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Ronnie Cravens reported on the following:
- Academic Affairs Board meets this Friday.
- There is an open representative position for the College of Business.
- Executive Director: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker for Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Christina is under the weather today but looks forward to seeing you all at the holiday dinner on Wednesday.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Warsan Artan, Student-At-Large: None.
- Cat Kricorian, Student-At-Large:
- Is working on A.S. marketing videos.
- Will meet with Kyle and Stephanie to discuss the progress of the Union Beautification Committee.
- Tomi Osinfolarin, Student-At-Large:
- There were 353 pints of blood donated at the SDSU Blood Drive on Wednesday.
- Discussed the possibility of hosting another blood drive in the spring.
- Chloe Sabio, Student-At-Large:
- External Relations Board will edit the letter proposed to University Council and Campus Life Council to support caravans at the border.
- There will be a meeting for TJ HomeBuild on Wednesday and Friday. They will reveal the logo on December 9.
- Beck Svensson, Student-At-Large: None.
- Latrel Powell, Student-At-Large: None.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:06 pm.
APPROVED BY: Christopher A. Thomas, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary