Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, November 26, 2018 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Chris Thomas, called the meeting to order at 3:39 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chris Thomas, Nickolas Wohlman, Michael Wiafe, Christian Onwuka, Warsan Artan, Cat Kricorian (FaceTime/late/left early), Tomi Osinfolarin (late/left early), Chloe Sabio, Beck Svensson, Latrel Powell (late).
- Voting Members Absent: Ronnie Cravens, Jessica Rentto, Christy Samarkos.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Janmae Pagador, Carlos Careaga, Chris Lee, Kaila Cooper, Angie Espinoza.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 11/26/18, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: No report.
- University President’s Designee: No report.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.
- A.S. Q1 Financial Review (Information): Christian Onwuka and Carlos Careaga reviewed the Quarter Ending Financial Report for the three months ending September 30, 2018, as attached.
- SDSU Children’s Center Audit (Information): Carlos Careaga reviewed the Child Care Fund and financial statements of the Associated Students of San Diego State University.
- Proposed Bylaw Amendments (Information): Justices Angie Espinoza, Chris Lee, and Kaila Cooper reviewed bylaw amendments, as attached.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Board: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee: Gave an update on communication within FAC.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: Will look for a Vice Chair of Social Media.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Chris Thomas reported on the following:
- Congratulations to Vice President of Student Affairs Eric Rivera on his retirement!
- Please remember to RSVP to the holiday party on December 11 from 3:30-5 pm.
- Gave an update on the Mission Valley site.
- There will be a Campus Fee Advisory Committee (CFAC) meeting this Friday at 10 am.
- Discussed the Curriculum Approval Process Committee target of eight-months to approve curriculum.
- Executive Vice President: Nickolas Wohlman reported on the following:
- Mental Health Week planning will be starting soon.
- Is planning for Spring Retreat.
- Aztecs Achievement Awards committee will be meeting soon.
- GreenFest Battle of the Bands on December 6 from 5-7 pm.
- Campus Life Council will meet Wednesday at 5:00 pm after University Council.
- Vice President of External Relations: Michael Wiafe reported on the following:
- Gave an update on the California State Student Association (CSSA).
- CSSA working on Undocumented Student resolutions.
- Gave an update on Elections 2018.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Christian Onwuka reported on the following:
- Will create a video to regarding funding sources for students.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Ronnie Cravens reported on the following:
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- There will be a Board of Directors meeting next week.
- Congratulations to Alison Rosenstock and Sophie Levi, our Food Pantry Leads, and to Alexis Hall, our Government Affairs Assistant.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Warsan Artan, Student-At-Large:
- Gave an update on the ARC Expansion accessibility for Muslim women. Discussed the possibility of making the ARC Express women only for specified times and days.
- Cat Kricorian, Student-At-Large:
- Tomi Osinfolarin, Student-At-Large:
- There will be a Blood Drive hosted by Aztecs for Life on Wednesday from 10 am -8 pm in Viejas Arena. There will be a goal of 400 pints.
- Chloe Sabio, Student-At-Large:
- CFAC reviewed the student success fee.
- Attended CSSA San Luis Obispo (SLO) meeting. Will help plan SDSU Plenary.
- There will be a toy drive for children diagnosed with HIV on December
- There will be TJ HomeBuild Leadership Team meeting Wednesday from 10-11 am and Friday from 1-2 pm.
- Beck Svensson, Student-At-Large:
- Will continue to have discussions with ITS.
- Congratulations to Christian on his work with Aztecs Rock Hunger!
- Latrel Powell, Student-At-Large:
- Grateful for the semester.
- SLO Plenary was a success.
- Will speak with CSSA officers for retreat soon!
- The Political Science Honor Society will host an event in Templo Mayor on Wednesday at 6:30 pm.
- Congratulations to Kaila Cooper, Academic Senate Liaison!
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 6:00 pm.
APPROVED BY: Christopher A. Thomas, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary