Meeting Minutes
Associated Students | San Diego State University


Monday, August 13, 2018 - 3:00pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union

I. CALL TO ORDER

Meeting was called to order at 3:04 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.

II. ROLL CALL

  1. Voting Members Present: Chris Thomas, Nickolas Wohlman, Michael Wiafe, Christian Onwuka, Ronnie Cravens, Warsan Artan, Cat Kricorian, Tomi Osinfolarin, Latrel Powell (FaceTime), Jessica Rentto.
  2. Voting Members Absent: Chloe Sabio, Beck Svensson, Christy Samarkos.
  3. Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
  4. Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
  5. Visitors: Alvin Owino, David Beulna.

III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA

It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
ONWUKA/WOHLMAN         CARRIED

IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 7/23/18, as attached.
OSINFOLARIN/KRICORIAN           CARRIED

V. PUBLIC COMMENT

  1. Alvin Owino from the vendor Flavors of East Africa came to discuss their growth on campus during the Farmers Market and presented their vision to become a possible vendor at SDSU Dining on campus.

VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS

  1. Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto report on the following: 
    1. Will continue to work with President de la Torre on her transition.
    2. The orientations were a success.
    3. Tenochca has been renovated.
    4. Gave an update on the two day move-in process for South Campus Plaza and Chapultepec Hall.
  2. University President’s Designee: No report.
  3. SDSU Mission Valley Site Plan-Gina Jacobs, Associate Vice President for Business and Financial Affairs:
    1. Gina Jacobs introduced the Mission Valley Site Plan and the multiple areas of the Mission Valley campus. She discussed the goals for education and employment opportunities that this plan will provide along with ideas to integrate the neighboring communities.

VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION

  1. General Consent Agenda (Action): None. 
  2. General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.
  3. Travel Requests (Action):
    It was moved and seconded to approve the travel requests, as attached.
    WOHLMAN/OSINFOLARIN       CARRIED, (10-0-0)
  4. Appointments and Resignations (Action):
    It was moved and seconded to approve the Appointments and Resignations memo, as attached.
    WIAFE/KRICORIAN         CARRIED, (10-0-0)
  5. Approval of A.S. Elections and Appointments Schedule, Spring 2019 (Action):
    It was moved and seconded to approve the A.S. Elections and Appointments Schedule, Spring 2019.
    WOHLMAN/ONWUKA          CARRIED, (10-0-0)
  6. BOD members serving on Campus Fee Advisory Committee, University Council and Campus Life Council (Action):
    The following placements were made: Latrel Powell and Chloe Sabio to serve on the Campus Fee Advisory Committee; Tomi Osinfolarin, Warsan Artan, and Latrel Powell to serve on University Council; and Catherine Kricorian, Chloe Sabio, and Beck Svensson to serve on Campus Life Council. It was moved and seconded to approve the placements as listed above.
    OSINFOLARIN/ARTAN          CARRIED
  7. New A.S. Fulltime Staff Salary Grades: (Information)

VIII.   CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)

None.

IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS

  1. Audit Committee: None. 
  2. Facilities Board:  None.
  3. Financial Affairs Committee: None.
  4. Marketing and Communications Committee: None.

X.  EXECUTIVE REPORTS

  1. President: Chris Thomas reported on the following:
    1. New Student Orientation finally over
      1. First Year Students: 5,477
      2. Transfer Students: 3,219
      3. Parents: 7,3464.     TOTAL: 16,042 (record numbers)
    2. LA Student Send-off
      1. Yesterday with Blaire Ward
      2. Excitement from event
    3. AS Orientation (8/29)
      1. Panel w/ President and Vice Presidents
      2. All-council meeting
    4. University Leaders Reception (9/5)
      1. At University President Residence
    5. Aztec Culture Governing Body
      1. 1st meeting last week
      2. Discussions about: warrior, educational, and healing garden
    6. Presidential Advisory Committee
      1. Updates on department meetings
    7. ECRT Coordinator
      1. Final four candidates are being interviewed
      2. Full-time position to oversee ECRT operations
    8. CSUnity Experience
      1. Shared governance panel
      2. Overall impression of SDSU in CSU
  2. Executive Vice President: Nickolas Wohlman reported on the following:
    1. Homecoming Logo has been decided!
    2. Aztec Game Experience Meeting #2 happening later this week
      1. Tomi- I will text you this time
    3. Retreat is this weekend!!!
      1. E-mails with carpool information will be sent out soon
      2. Counting on Execs and BOD to really set the tone for retreat
      3. Let me know if you have any questions or input
    4. Sexual Violence Task Force meeting tomorrow
  3. Vice President of External Relations: Michael Wiafe reported on the following: 
    1. Board of Trustees -  The Board of Trustees have approved pay raises ranging from 8k to 13k for chancellor white himself to a vice chancellor getting a pay raise of 34k. Campus presidents got a 3% increase in salary across the board. The highest paid being our very own University president whose pay was raised by about 13k. This raises concern for the legislature. Assembly speaker Anthony Rendon said that the legislature would not have approved the budget if members would have known that trustees planned to give the executives pay raises. We will see if this affects the amount of which the CSU gets next year.
    2. CSUnity - We went to CSUnity at CSU Long Beach last weekend and met AS leaders from across the state and also had the chance to attend educational sessions about the CSU and the problems being faced and what is being done to address them. Sessions ranged from University budget to DACA to basic needs etc… Had the opportunity to meet with Ray Murillo, Director of student programs for the CSU and discussed the legal services that the CSU will be receiving.
    3. CSSA - Meeting on August 4th, I now serve on the Student Trustee committee. Meeting bidding continued and October will be held in Fresno and next September will be at CSUSM. We have picked all of our special officers and The CSSA has passed its Policy Priorities for the 2018-2019 school year, if you would like to view it please connect with me.
    4. Meeting with Ray Murillo - The legislature has given $7 million to the Department of Social Services (DSS) to contract with the CSU to provide immigration legal services to students, faculty and staff on campus.
    5. As of now, there is not too much information on how/when this will be implemented as the CSU is waiting for more information from DSS.
    6. The immigration services should include the following six service categories.
    7. Services to Assist Applicants seeking Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA),Services to Assist Applicants seeking Naturalization ,Services to Assist Applicants seeking Other Immigration Remedies,Legal Training and Technical Assistance Services,Education and Outreach Activities,Services to Assist Individuals with Removal Defense
    8. Within the next 12-18 months the demand for these services will be tracked to see if sustainable funding is required and/or possible. The CSU has 3 years to spend the allocation and there is a possibility of sustainable funding from the legislature if there is extremely high demand from this semi-pilot program.
    9. CACC - Had a Long term visioning meeting with the CACC and surrounding community councils to discuss what the community would like to see in general including public facilities and businesses etc.
  4. Vice President of Financial Affairs: Christian Onwuka reported on the following:
    1. Aztecs Rock Hunger
      1. Will be meeting with Jim Floros, President and CEO of the San Diego Food Bank, looking to set up tour for Leadership Team
      2. Have assigned the roles/specializations for the Leadership team
      3. Set an agreement on how ARH can contribute while also table at Athletic events
      4. Finalizing the script for the informational video
    2. Financial Affairs Committee
      1. Looking to reach out to different communities to establish a Committee that better encompasses our student body
      2. Able to recruit transfer students successfully (Audit Committee)
    3. Funding
      1. Have finished one video for us to streamline education on the different funding opportunities
      2. Also have been attending the RSO training regarding students, student engagement
  5. Vice President of University Affairs: Ronnie Cravens reported on the following:
    1. Met with Anya on the 28th & 1st to finish our draft for University Senate marketing material. Still working on our University Senate presentation for retreat and future walk arounds.
    2. Met with Brandi on the 10th
      1. Recruitment for UAB - Working on finalizing Marketing Materials (Presentation, Flyer, Flow Chart) + Boxes&Cards
      2. 5 Positions - Vice chair, YVM Vice chair, University Senate Projects, Secretary, Student sent from the Library
      3. Working on finalizing Marketing Materials (Presentation, Flyer, Flow Chart)
  6. Executive Director:  Christina Brown reported on the following:
    1. Explained the purpose of public comments to the Board of Director members.
    2. Will meet up with BOD members to help them with their goals.
    3. Vice President of Student Affairs, Eric Rivera, will be retiring in December.

XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS

  1. Warsan Artan, Student-At-Large: 
    1. Met with Anya to discuss her role as Chief of Staff.
  2. Cat Kricorian, Student-At-Large
    1. Met with Stephanie and Kyle to discuss the UBC budget and her concerns.
    2. The Backdoor Studio student staff has been doubled. She is excited to see their projects.
  3. Tomi Osinfolarin, Student-At-Large:
    1. Met with Anya.
    2. Met with Ronnie to discuss which colleges he will be overseeing and reached out to those colleges.
    3. Will look to expand the Red Cross Blood Drive on campus.
  4. Chloe Sabio, Student-At-Large: No report.
  5. Beck Svensson, Student-At-Large: No report.
  6. Latrel Powell, Student-At-Large
    1. Attended the CSUnity with other executive officers.
    2. Attended California State Student Association (CSSA) in Sacramento to discuss the policy agenda that will be finalized.
    3. Gave an update on LobbyCorps. and their plans to unify within the CSU system for November elections.
    4. He is excited to represent SDSU at CSSA.

XII.  ADJOURNMENT

It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:06 pm
CRAVENS/OSINFOLARIN        CARRIED, (9-0-0)

APPROVED BY: Christopher A. Thomas, A.S. President

PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary