Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, March 5, 2018 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, called the meeting to order at 3:38 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Girard, Carmel Alon, Chris Thomas, Hayden Willis, Anya Shutovska, Brie Hornig, Farris Nabulsi, Josh Miller, Michelle Sabin, Victor Uwakwe, Christy Samarkos.
- Voting Members Absent: Jessica Rentto
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Isaiah Barajas-Smith, Sam Reilly, Isaac Dalton, Bryce Evans, Brendan Kieman, Sean Dapiran, Billy Carter, Meegan Togatorop.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 2/19/18, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: No report.
- University President's Designee: Christy Samarkos reported on the following:
- Enrollment Admissions experienced a delay in Freshmen admission. First time Freshmen will be admitted on March 19-23. Transfer Students will be admitted from March 22-23. The deny notification for those who were not admitted will be released on April 2.
- Discussed updates to Explore SDSU programs and the effect in the delay of Freshmen admission
- The staff at Academic Advising will be tabling. A.S. Leaders will be asked to help advertise the New Registration Timeline.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.
Approval of A.S. Financial Resources for the Aztec Recreation Center and Recreation Field Expansion Student Fee Referendum (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the A.S. Financial Resources for the Aztec Recreation Center and Recreation Field Expansion Student Fee Referendum, as attached.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Board:
- People have expressed interest in joining the committee.
- Financial Affairs Committee:
- Reviewed the 2017-2018 rebudget for the Children’s Center and Viejas Arena. Presented the 2018-2019 budget.
- Marketing and Communications Committee:
- Voted on the bylaw revisions.
- Will create videos for the A.S. elections.
- Will create a marketing plan for the “Rock the Vote” campaign.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
President: Chimezie Ebiriekwe reported on the following:
1. Encouraged members to complete the Aztec Mascot Survey to help taskforce member understand the student voice.
2. Congratulations on the opening of the Black Resource Center (BRC) last Wednesday! Glad that A.S. can provide program funding. There will be an A.S. tour at the BRC this semester BRC.
3. There will be panels at Explore SDSU.
Executive Vice President: Vanessa Girard reported on the following:
1. Discussed different centers on respective campuses with the Executive Vice President at CSU, San Marcos.
2. The Daily Aztec did a fantastic job creating the Timeline Magazine.
3. The deadline to submit Aztec Achievement Awards nominations will be on March 14 at 4 pm.
4. Encouraged members to complete the survey on sustainability at SDSU.
5. There will be a new transportation service route for the Red and Black Shuttle.
Vice President of External Relations: Carmel Alon reported on the following:
1. Seventeen applicants will be attending the California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS) this weekend from March 10-12. The first training last Wednesday was a success. There are sixteen meetings scheduled to meet with legislators.
2. External Relations Boards will collaborate with Campus Safety committee and “Take Back the Week” to create a letter writing campaign.
Vice President of Financial Affairs: Hayden Willis reported on the following:
1.Gave an update on the budget hearing for cultural organizations. The preliminary meetings were informational for the organizations.
Vice President of University Affairs: Chris Thomas reported on the following:
1. The ARC Referendum Voting begins tomorrow at 8 am and ends Wednesday at 7 pm. Encouraged members to vote through WebPortal.
2. The New Registration Timeline has begun. Registration dates and times are posted for Summer 2018 and Fall 2018. Please visit the advising center.
Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
1. Attended the research symposium
2. Excited for the Media Studio. Students will begin their projects. It will be available to all students in April.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Josh Miller, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
1. Expressed excitement for the direction of Campus Life Council.
2. Encouraged members to educate the student body on the vote for “Transform the ARC”.
Brie Hornig, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
1. Attended the Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) meeting on Friday. Discussed the overall goal of ECRT to increase student input.
Farris Nabulsi, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
1. Visited the Black Resource Center.
2. Encouraged people to attend the Career Fair and Vote for the Referendum.
Anya Shutovska, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
1. Enjoyed the Campus Life Council meeting this past Wednesday.
2. Excited to work on the “Rock the Vote” campaign and serve on the Campus Safety committee.
Michelle Sabin, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
1. Worked on educating the student body on the Referendum.
2. Extended an invitation for members to attended the pop-up event hosted by Professional Studies and Fine Arts (PSFA) in the PSFA Courtyard on Tuesday from 2:30-4:30 pm.
Victor Uwakwe, Student-At-Large reported on the following:1. Grateful for Greenfest.
2. Will collaborate with students to begin an organization, “A Creative State”, to help students promote their brand and media
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:00 pm.
APPROVED BY: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary