Meeting Minutes
Associated Students | San Diego State University


Monday, February 19, 2018 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union

I. CALL TO ORDER

A.S. President, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, called the meeting to order at 3:38 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union. 

II. ROLL CALL

  1. Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Girard, Carmel Alon, Chris Thomas, Hayden Willis, Anya Shutovska, Brie Hornig, Farris Nabulsi, Josh Miller, Michelle Sabin, Jessica Rentto.
  2. Voting Members Absent: Victor Uwakwe, Christy Samarkos
  3. Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
  4. Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
  5. Visitors: Matthew Malconian, Meegan Togatorop.

III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA

It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
SABIN/MILLER            CARRIED               

There was a friendly amendment to remove the Item C of University Reports and Presentations, SDSU Site Plan for Mission Valley.

The agenda was approved as amended.           CARRIED

IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 2/5/18, as attached.
THOMAS/SABIN            CARRIED 

V. PUBLIC COMMENT

None.

VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS

  1. Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto reported on the following:
    1. President de la Torre will speak at the reception.
    2. It is budget season for Financial Affairs Committee. CSU will lobby state legislature to increase funding due to a smaller proposed budget. The tuition increase has been postponed until May.
  2. University President's Designee:  None.

VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION

  1. General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
    SHUTOVSKA/GIRARD    CARRIED
  2. General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.

  3. Quarter 2 Financial Report (Information) (Time Certain 4 pm):  Hayden reviewed the expenses and revenues of the Quarter 2 Financial Report.

VIII.   CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)

None.

IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS

  1. Audit Committee: None. 
  2. Facilities Board: 
    1. Discussed the purpose and goals of the committee.
  3. Financial Affairs Committee: 
    1. Rebudgets will begin next week up until spring break.
    2. Will meet with organizations that will receive budgets.
  4. Marketing and Communications Committee:
    1. Will Spirit cart for three days for the ARC Referendum and on Wednesday for GreenFest.
    2. Discussed marketing efforts for A.S. Elections.

X.  EXECUTIVE REPORTS

  1. President: Chimezie Ebiriekwe reported on the following:
    1. Interviewed student trustees for Cal State Student Association (CSSA) on Friday. The candidates were presented to the governor.
    2. Attended the Leadership Summit with Hayden, Chris, and Kim on Saturday to discuss successes and past failures.
    3. There will be one student and one staff who will serve on each of the five subcommittees created for the Aztec Culture Education. The funding will be through the Aztec Culture Education budget. The five subcommittees are video, speakers, arts and culture, healing garden, and marketing and communication efforts.
    4. The Executive officers, Christy, and Christina met with President Adela de la Torre and gave her an overview of A.S. initiatives. They discussed the Food Pantry efforts with her.
    5. The Aztec Mascot Taskforce has been assembled. The names of the students serving on the taskforce will not be publicly announced until after the process and reports are presented in May.

  2. Executive Vice President: Vanessa Girard reported on the following:
    1. Aztec Achievement Award will be available on Thursday, February 22.
    2. Congratulations to the new Food Pantry Coordinator, Sunny!
    3. Encouraged members to complete the Men’s Basketball survey by Athletics to give feedback on the mobile ticketing.
    4. Gave an update on campus safety. Library security attended the meeting to discuss solutions to address students concerns. They will review actions steps for library safety and introduce the topic of bicycle and skateboard safety at the meeting on February 22.

  3. Vice President of External Relations: Carmel Alon reported on the following:
    1. Attended Cal State Student Association (CSSA) at CSU Maritime.

    i. The decision on the possible tuition hike has been postponed to May. The Choose CSU campaign will advocate for a fully funded CSU, which incorporates both budget operations and tuition.
    ii. The Back to Basics campaign for policy advocacy to push for legislation and bills that address issues of food insecurity, housing, and wellness.
    2. All 18 applicants will be attending the California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS).
  4. Vice President of Financial Affairs: Hayden Willis reported on the following:
    1. Attended the budget report presentations with Christina and Chris.

  5. Vice President of University Affairs: Chris Thomas reported on the following:
    1. Gave updates on the library. The library has new outdoor furniture. He addressed the 10:30 closure of the main Love Library. $250,000 has been allocated for new chairs in the library.
    2. There will be Dean searches for the College of Health and Human Services and College of Sciences. There will be a five-year review for the College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts and College of Engineering.
    3. Reminded members of the New Registration Timeline. The dates for summer registration has been assigned. Dates for Fall registration will be posted in upcoming weeks.
    4. Education Opportunity and Program will present at the University Council (UC) meeting on February 21. There will be a student success fee update at the UC meeting on March 7.

  6. Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
    1. Will continue to promote ARC Referendum marketing efforts.ts.

XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS

  1. Josh Miller, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
    1. Tabled with George for the ARC Expansion.
    2. Met with Mitch ad Hunter to reflect and discuss improvements for future Residence Hall mixers.
    3. Encouraged members to educate students on the ARC Expansion.

  2. Brie Hornig, Student-At-Large reported on the following: 
    1. Will attend the Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) on Friday.
    2. Encouraged members to provide feedback regarding student interests in courses in Asian American studies.

  3. Farris Nabulsi, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
    1. None.

  4. Anya Shutovska, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
    1. Will help Chris with the ARC Referendum.
    2. Excited for University Senate to attend Campus Safety Committee.
    3. Will meet with assigned commissions.
    4. Proposed the idea to discuss Elections Code at UC and CLC meetings to educate members.

  5. Michelle Sabin, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
    1. Will market the ARC Referendum.
    2. The PSFA Panel event was a success. She encouraged members and other boards and commissions to host similar events for students.
    3. There will be a pop-up event for general advising with PSFA.

  6. Victor Uwakwe, Student-At-Large reported on the following: None.

XII.  ADJOURNMENT

It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
SABIN/WILLIS    CARRIED

The meeting was adjourned at 4:42 pm.


APPROVED BY: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, A.S. President

PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary