Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, December 11, 2017 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, called the meeting to order at 3:36 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Girard, Chris Thomas, Hayden Willis, Carmel Alon, Anya Shutovska, Brie Hornig, Josh Miller, Michelle Sabin (late), Victor Uwakwe, Christy Samarkos (left early).
- Voting Members Absent: Jessica Rentto
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Carlos Careaga, Mark Zakrzewski, Michael Wiafe, Daraja Carroll, Angelica Espinoza, Cynthina Medina, Kim Alli, Erick Ramirez, Dillyn McHenry, Ashley Tejada, Emma Charles, Charlotte Roberts, George Scott, Mary Staka, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Natalie Martinez.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 11/27/17, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
A. Mary Staka, Recreation and Wellness Commissioner, spoke about the proposed Aztec Recreation Center (ARC) Expansion Student Fee Referendum and the safe atmosphere that it will provide students.
B. George Scott, Recreation and Wellness Representative, discussed the plans to expand the ARC and the urgency to provide and expand areas for students.
C. Charlotte Roberts, Sustainability Commissioner, informed members of the sustainability aspects that are included in the ARC Expansion. She reminded members of the campus-wide goal of 2020 and highlighted the facilities that will help create a clean environment
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. Business and Financial Affairs Designee: None.
B. University President’s Designee: None.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.
- Approval to Recommend to the Campus Fee Advisory Committee (CFAC) to Proceed with the Proposed Spring 2018 Fee Referendum for the Aztec Recreation Center and Field Expansion/Renovation (Action) (Time Certain 4 pm):
It was moved and seconded to move into a vote.
Question was called. There were no objections.
The motion to approve recommendation to the Campus Fee Advisory Committee (CFAC) to proceed with the Proposed Spring 2018 Fee Referendum for the Aztec Recreation Center and Field Expansion/Renovation was approved.
- Full-time Employee Compensation – (Action) (Time Certain 4:30 pm):
It was moved and seconded to approve the Full-time Employee Compensation, as attached.
- Proposed Bylaw, Codes and Charter Amendments (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the Bylaw, Codes and Charter Amendments, as attached.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Board:
- Facilities Committee will be chaired by the Vice President of Financial Affairs. They discussed their role and details of the budget.
- Financial Affairs Committee:
- Presented the financial funding opportunities provided by Associated Students to student organizations.
- Highlighted rebudgets in the Fall 2017 semester.
- Marketing and Communications Committee:
- Working on the “Your Voice Matters” campaign.
- Informed members on the events they will be working on next semester.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Chimezie Ebiriekwe reported on the following:
- Expressed his gratitude to Judicial Affairs Council.
- $20,000 was allocated to the Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) from the Aztec Rock Hunger campaign.
- Attended a meeting last Monday regarding the Executive Order 1110 to remove remedial classes at California State Universities.
- Hosted CIR Coffee Hours last week. He will look into scheduling different times and days for next semester.
- Gave an update on the Presidential Search Committee for San Diego State University. The interviews will take place in Los Angeles by the Senate Committee in January.
- Executive Vice President: Vanessa Girard reported on the following:
- Gave an update on the Facilities Board duties that will be assigned under the duties of the Vice President of Financial Affairs.
- Attended the first Campus Safety Committee meeting last Wednesday. The second campus safety open forum will take place on Wednesday, December 12.
- Vice President of External Relations:
- Currently working on the “Rock the Vote” campaign.
- Working on an application for the California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS) to attend on behalf of SDSU. It is an annual conference held in Sacramento in March.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Chris Thomas reported on the following:
- The “Your Voice Matters” open forum was a success.
- The Blood Drive raised 313 units!
- Will request the Library hours to be open 24/7 during finals.
- Outdoor furniture for the Library will be ready for next semester.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Have a wonderful break!
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Josh Miller, Student-At-Large reported on the following: None.
- Brie Hornig, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Met with Todd Summer to discuss expanded gift cards to be available for students who are food insecure.
- Farris Nabulsi, Student-At-Large reported on the following: None.
- Anya Shutovska, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Informed members of the next campus safety meeting that will take place on Friday at 10 am in the Presidential Suite.
- Michelle Sabin, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Excited for next semester!
- Victor Uwakwe, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Wished everyone a good luck on finals.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:41 pm.
APPROVED BY: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary