Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, November 27, 2017 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, called the meeting to order at 3:39 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Girard, Chris Thomas, Anya Shutovska, Brie Hornig, Josh Miller, Victor Uwakwe, Christy Samarkos, Jessica Rentto.
- Voting Members Absent: Hayden Willis, Carmel Alon, Michelle Sabin, Farris Nabulsi,
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Carlos Careaga, Mark Zakrzewski, Michael Wiafe, Russell Parris, Daraja Carroll, Angelica Espinoza, Cynthina Medina, Kim Alli, Erick Ramirez.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
There was a friendly amendment to remove the Time Adjournment at 5:50 pm. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 11/06/17, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. Business and Financial Affairs Designee: None.
B. University President’s Designee: None.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.
- Proposed ARC Expansion/Renovation, Feasibility Study and Referendum Time (Information) – Time Certain 4 pm:
- Mark Zakrzewski, Director of Recreation, and Chris Thomas discussed the proposed student fee referendum on the expansion of the Aztec Recreation Center and the possible fee amounts to increase. Details on what the expansion includes were They informed members on the process and the timeline of the renovation and referendum.
- Proposed Changes to the Bylaws, Codes and Charters (Information):
- Judicial Affairs Council reviewed the charters of the councils and commissions. The proposed Bylaws changes will be discussed and feedback will be given to the authors of the amendments.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Board: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee: None.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: None.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Chimezie Ebiriekwe reported on the following:
- Attended Center for Intercultural Relations (CIR) Office Hours to discuss campus safety.
- Will present the 2017-2018 Aztec Culture Education Proposal with Marisa Mendoza at Student Diversity Commission tomorrow. They will discuss curricular, co-curricular, arts and culture, and communication plan.
- Executive Vice President: Vanessa Girard reported on the following:
- Wished everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!
- Gave an update on the Campus Safety Commission that will be created under Campus Community Commission. Their first meeting will be on December 6.
- A.S. Spring Retreat will be on January 20.
- The A.S. Holiday Dinner will be on December 7 from 7-9 pm.
- There will be a CLC Special Meeting on December 6 to vote on the Referendum.
- Greenlove will be holding their meeting this Wednesday from 12-1 pm at the Community Garden.
- Vice President of External Relations: None.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Chris Thomas reported on the following:
- The Blood Drive will be tomorrow from 8 am-6 pm at Viejas Arena. Their goal is 400 pints.
- The “Your Voice Matters” campaign will host an open forum on December 7 from 3-5 pm in the Theatre. The campus safety discussion panel will include Jessica Rentto, Randy Timm, Chief Mays, and Chimezie Ebiriekwe.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Gave an explanation on the ARC referendum process.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Josh Miller, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Looking forward to the end of the semester.
- Brie Hornig, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Student Diversity Celebration will be Friday, December 1 from 4-7 pm in the Courtyard.
- Farris Nabulsi, Student-At-Large reported on the following: None.
- Anya Shutovska, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Went to Coffee with the Chief to discuss campus safety. The conversation will be continued within A.S.
- Michelle Sabin, Student-At-Large reported on the following: None.
- Victor Uwakwe, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Glad to see everyone back from Thanksgiving break.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:39 pm.
APPROVED BY: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary