SKIP TO CONTENT   ACCESSIBILITY  

Associated Students


A.S. Board of Directors

Meeting Minutes
Associated Students | San Diego State University


Monday, November 6, 2017 – 3:30 PM 
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union

I. CALL TO ORDER

A.S. President, Chimezie Ebiriekwe called the meeting to order at 3:39 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.

II. ROLL CALL
  1. Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Girard, Chris Thomas (late), Hayden Willis, Carmel Alon, Anya Shutovska, Farris Nabulsi, Brie Hornig, Josh Miller, Victor Uwakwe, Jessica Rentto.
  2. Voting Members Absent: Michelle Sabin, Christy Samarkos
  3. Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
  4. Non-Voting Members Absent: None
  5. Visitors: Carlos Careaga
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA

It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.

GIRARD/MILLER             CARRIED

IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 10/23/17, as attached.

SHUTOVSKA/GIRARD      CARRIED

V. PUBLIC COMMENT:

None.

VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
  1. Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto reported on the following:
    1. The Donor Wall on Campanile Drive has been unveiled.
    2. The Engineering and Interdisciplinary Sciences Complex will be opened in January.  The University will be working with student leaders on the grand opening.
  2. University President’s Designee: None
  3. Inclusivity Conversation Preview: 
    1. Carmel gave an update on that discussion that will be finalized for the All Council Training. Suggestions were made to help clarify the definition of diversity and inclusion as well as find ways to increase trust among the board members.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:
  1. General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
    MILLER/ALON    CARRIED
  2. General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.
  3. SDSU Children's Center Compliance Audit Report (Information)(Time Certain 4pm):
    1. Carlos Careaga gave an update on the compliance review by Grant Thorton and audit report of the Children Center. The audit report is conducted because the Children’s Center receives state grants to support low-income families, who use its services.
  4. A.S. 2017-2018 Vision and Goals Update (Information):
    1. The members gave updates on their status for the vision and goals they set for the 2017-2018 year.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members):

It was moved and seconded to move into closed session.
THOMAS/SHUTOVSKA    CARRIED

  1. A.S. Recreation Staff Organization Plan (Action) – Christina Brown, Executive Director
    Christina reviewed the A.S. Recreation Staff Organization Plan. It was moved and seconded to approve the A.S. Recreation Staff Organization Plan.
    THOMAS/WILLIS    CARRIED

It was moved and seconded to move out of closed session.
UWAKWE/MILLER        CARRIED

IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:
  1. Audit Committee: None.
  2. Facilities Board: None.
  3. Financial Affairs Committee:
    1. They are currently going over the rebudgets of different facilities.
  4. Marketing and Communications Committee:
    1. They are expanding board functions to focus on marketing for programs.  
    2. Marketing and Communications forms will continue to be accepted.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
  1. President: Chimezie Ebiriekwe reported on the following:
    1. Reminded members of the Student Success Fee Level 3 review on Monday, November 13 from 8:30 am – 12 pm.
    2. The next high school conference will be on Saturday, November 18 from 8 am-5 pm.
    3. The Donor Wall on Campanile Drive has been completed and unveiled.
  2. Executive Vice President: Vanessa Girard reported on the following:
    1. The All Council Training will be this Wednesday, November 8.
    2. The Aztec Game Experience committee will discuss the new Men’s Basketball student ticket policy at their next meeting.
  3. Vice President of External Relations: Carmel Alon reported on the following:
    1. Will attend the College Area Community Council (CACC) meeting November 8.
    2. Reminded members of the requirements due next Friday, November 17.
    3. A “Rock the Vote” leadership team has been created.
    4. Channelle will lead a discussion on inclusive leadership on November 8 from 5-6:30 pm.
  4. Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
  5. Vice President of University Affairs: Chris Thomas reported on the following:
    1. The retirement of the mascot will be discussed at the University Senate meeting tomorrow, November 7.
    2. Dr. Sandra Cook will present graduation rates data at the upcoming University Council meeting.
    3. The Undergraduate Research Committee met Thursday, November 2.
    4. The “Your Voice Matters” campaign will have an open forum on November 29 from 5-7 pm in the Theatre.
  6. Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
    1. Discussed the Aztec Culture Project and the funds available.
    2. Gave an update on the event featuring guest speaker Milo Yiannopoulos at Cal State Fullerton. The security measures taken at Fullerton was effective.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
  1. Josh Miller, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
    1. Explained his goals to be more visible on campus and be able to form new connections with students on campus.
    2. Interested in continuing the campus safety conversation.
  2. Brie Hornig, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
    1. Working on food insecurity on-campus. She serves on the Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT).
    2. Will serve on an Aztecs Shops ad-hoc committee.
    3. Explained her goal to support students of underrepresented communities.
    4. Working to bring Asian American Studies on-campus.
  3. Farris Nabulsi, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
    1. His goal is to continue the discussion on the kosher foods. He is working to label the kosher items in the market and is interested in preparing a teaching workshop on kosher foods.
    2. Met with Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) to discuss the inclusion of an A.S. workshop in the Summer Bridge program.
  4. Anya Shutovska, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
    1. Provide support to council and commission members to provide feedback on overall events.
    2. Met with Dr. Randy Timm to discuss campus safety.
    3. Excited to work with other executive board members.
  5. Michelle Sabin, Student-At-Large:  None.
  6. Victor Uwakwe, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
    1. Discussed his goal of getting involved with the Black Resource Center.
    2. His second goal is to increase his involvement and network opportunities within A.S.
XII. ADJOURNMENT

It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.

SHUTOVSKA/MILLER     CARRIED     

The meeting was adjourned at 6:06 pm.

APPROVED BY: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, A.S. President 
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary