SKIP TO CONTENT   ACCESSIBILITY  

Associated Students


A.S. Board of Directors

Meeting Minutes
Associated Students | San Diego State University


Monday, October 23, 2017 – 3:30 PM 
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union

I. CALL TO ORDER

A.S. Vice President, Chimezie Ebiriekwe called the meeting to order at 3:34 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.

II. ROLL CALL
  1. Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Girard, Hayden Willis, Carmel Alon, Anya Shutovska, Farris Nabulsi, Brie Hornig, Josh Miller, Victor Uwakwe.
  2. Voting Members Absent: Michelle Sabin, Chris Thomas, Christy Samarkos, Jessica Rentto.
  3. Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
  4. Non-Voting Members Absent: None
  5. Visitors: None
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA

It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.

MILLER/SHUTOVSKA      CARRIED

IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 09/25/17, as attached.

GIRARD/MILLER   CARRIED

V. PUBLIC COMMENT:

None.

VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
  1. Business and Financial Affairs Designee: None
  2. University President’s Designee: None
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:
  1. General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
    SHUTOVSKA/UWAKWE    CARRIED
  2. General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members):

None.

IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:
  1. Audit Committee: None.
  2. Facilities Board: None.
  3. Financial Affairs Committee: None
    1. Financial Affairs Committee authorized $1.4 million DSCR funds for construction and operation of the Aztec Student Union to be moved from the “Student Union fee” account to the “State Held Major Maintenance” account. These funds will be available for the use of different facilities. This transfer is done yearly.
  4. Marketing and Communications Committee:
    1. Will continue work on marketing Aztecs Rock Hunger.
    2. The Spirit Cart today was successful.
    3. Plans to partner with the University Affairs Board (UAB) to promote the “Your Voice Matters” campaign.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
  1. President: Chimezie Ebiriekwe reported on the following:
    1. Encouraged members to collaborate with the administrators from the University Leaders Reception.
    2. Board of Directors (BOD) students-at-large should prepare to discuss goals at the next BOD meeting on October 23.
    3. “CIR Conversations” will be on Wednesday, October 11 from 12:30-1:30 pm.
    4. There will be an event hosted by Student Diversity Council (SDC) to promote diversity on campus on Friday, October 27 in the Courtyard.
    5. A Graduate Initiative 2025 symposium will take place Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday featuring keynote speaker Dr. Harper, a world renown researcher who will discuss achieving the gaps for African American males.
  2. Executive Vice President: Vanessa Girard reported on the following:
    1. The First Year Leadership Experience (FLEX) group has been chosen. Plans were made for current FLEX group to teach the (First-Year Leadership Initiative) FLI program next year.
    2. The next Campus Community Commission Clean Up will be on November 7.
    3. Will meet with Kevin Powers, Program Manager of the new UAV (drone) program, next Wednesday from 1-2 pm who will introduce the curriculum he created on operating drone labs.
    4. Reminded BOD members of the “CIR Conversations” on Wednesday, October 11 from 12:30-1:30 pm.
    5. Met with Chief Josh Mays to discuss campus safety and proposed to move the community service vehicle closer to the library from convenience.
    6. Homecoming marketing and promotion items will be available. The Street Team has been finalized.
  3. Vice President of External Relations: Carmel Alon reported on the following:
    1. The Sexual Violence training will be on October 25 for Campus Life Council and November 1 for University Council to give context on Title IX and to discuss sexual assault.
  4. Vice President of Financial Affairs: Hayden Willis reported on the following:
    1. Gave an update on Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) and encouraged members to recruit volunteers.
    2. A fundraiser will be hosted at Woodstock’s on October 17 and 18 where 25% of the proceeds will go towards Aztecs Rock Hunger.
    3. Reminded members to encourage Aztecs Shops employees to help promote the ARH campaign.
  5. Vice President of University Affairs: None
  6. Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
    1. Congratulations to John Koleck for receiving the Distinguished University Service Award and Bill Earley on the Distinguished Alumni Service Award at the 2017 Monty Awards!
    2. Met with Vitaliano Figueroa to discuss the marketing subcommittee.
    3. Gerardo Cabral accepted a position at Sacramento State University as the Associate Director of Marketing and Outreach.
    4. College Republicans event was postponed due to scheduling conflicts.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
  1. Josh Miller, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
    1. Encouraged members to sign-up to table for Aztecs Rock Hunger.
    2. Met with Hunter, George, and students-at-large to discuss their goals and direction.
    3. Met with Vanessa to discuss campus safety. 
  2. Brie Hornig, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
    1. Will meet with A.S. representative regarding time at the Student Disability Services.
    2. Will meet with Mary and George to discuss Aztecs Recreation Center exercise attire policies.
    3. Met with Student Diversity Commission to discuss goals. 
  3. Farris Nabulsi, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
    1. Served on the Honorary Degree Committee. 
  4. Anya Shutovska, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
    1. Excited for the Aztecs Rock Hunger Campaign to continue.
    2. Encouraged members to volunteer to table for ARH.
    3. Worked with Beck and Charlotte on the challenge by executive board on undergraduate research.
    4. Met with Vanessa, Josh, and Brie to discuss improvements to campus safety.
    5. There will be a Campus Fee Advisory Council (CFAC) meeting on Friday, October 13.
  5. Michelle Sabin, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
    1. Worked with the College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts to help with the “Lend a Hand” campaign.
    2. Attended a meeting on the sexual harassment presentation campaign with Carmel.
    3. Excited to serve on the Ad-hoc committee for elections! 
  6. Victor Uwakwe, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
    1. Will reach out to University Council representatives to discuss Recognized Student Organiztions.
    2. Encouraged members to sign-up to volunteer for Aztecs Rock Hunger.
XII. ADJOURNMENT

It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.

SHUTOVSKA/ALON  CARRIED     

The meeting was adjourned at 4:38 pm.

APPROVED BY: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, A.S. President 
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary